Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm meeting with my surgeon in 15 minutes what should I ask him?

What is his complication rate? How does his team handle complications? Has he ever lost a patient? How can he reach you if you have an emergency or questions to help determine an emergency? Does he over-sew the staples? What size bougie does he use? If there's a hiatal hernia can he repair while he's in there for the sleeve procedure? That's all I can think of this moment...

Thank you!

What is his complication rate? How does his team handle complications? Has he ever lost a patient? How can he reach you if you have an emergency or questions to help determine an emergency? Does he over-sew the staples? What size bougie does he use? If there's a hiatal hernia can he repair while he's in there for the sleeve procedure? That's all I can think of this moment...

So help me out...when talking about bougie...is this the tube inserted into your stomach?

So help me out...when talking about bougie...is this the tube inserted into your stomach?

Yes, common size is 40- 42 I believe.

Okay, so call me dumb...but I don't even have a clue as to why that would be important. Maybe I just naturally trust my surgeons ability that I didn't really go in there with any questions. Now I am second guessing myself.

The meeting went well my surgery date is October 16th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I'm also Oct 16 - you are the first person I've seen on here that shares my date! Congrats!

Okay' date=' so call me dumb...but I don't even have a clue as to why that would be important. Maybe I just naturally trust my surgeons ability that I didn't really go in there with any questions. Now I am second guessing myself.[/quote']

Don't second guess yourself. I too trusted my surgeon and all is just fine.

Okay, so call me dumb...but I don't even have a clue as to why that would be important. Maybe I just naturally trust my surgeons ability that I didn't really go in there with any questions. Now I am second guessing myself.

That was the one question I kept forgetting to ask. I was curious, more for the "why this size and not that" but I also trusted my surgeon would do what's best. I was definitely curious, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Okay' date=' so call me dumb...but I don't even have a clue as to why that would be important. Maybe I just naturally trust my surgeons ability that I didn't really go in there with any questions. Now I am second guessing myself.[/quote']

You know the reality is it is unlikely to have much of a difference from

One size to another. I say that because first off the sizes are so close, especially when you consider the average sizes. When they use it as a guide it is just that, a guide. As my surgeon put it from one patient to the next how big their pouch compared to the bougie is not going to always be the same. He looks at every stomach individually, sees the minor differences in anatomy and never staples directly up to the bougie, always pulls back.

I didn't suggest that to check on the bougie size - rather just to make sure the surgeon's actually using one. Some don't (SCARY) and they are bad bariatric surgeons! It's just a way to ask without asking directly... I found two surgeon's I interviewed to be quite offended that I asked. Surprising but true. I also didn't hire them to be my Doctor! :)

I found two surgeon's I interviewed to be quite offended that I asked. Surprising but true. I also didn't hire them to be my Doctor! :)

Oh my gosh I would have been leery too! I asked out of curiosity and I agree I would be hesitant to go without one. Seems to set you up for more complications, such as strictures. My surgeon answered but just kind of shook his head when I asked. Told me that sometimes forums can give out too much information haha.