Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid doctor will say NO to revision!

Hi all, my name is Janet and i am a band-failure. :-( i got banded in 2008, lost about 30 pounds total and then started regaining. I've had four fills but have never felt really restricted. I have yoyo-ed up and down the same 10 to 15 pounds for the last few years and have been at my heaviest weight ever for a while. i have an appointment for a consult set for 10/3 at the same place i was banded...they now have a new medical director and some new aftercare stuff going. they're a center of excellence in bariatric surgery so i'm not worried much about that aspect. what I AM worried about is that i'm going to be told NO. if you failed with the band why should we revise to a sleeve etc etc?? I am soooooo sick of feeling like crap. I am nearly 200 lbs overweight. my legs hurt. i don't want to do anything or go anywhere that isn't my job. i am ashamed of the way i look. i am so self concious. any tips for my consult? i just want to get this done, start losing and start living.

I'm a band failure too. Everyone's a band failure (for the most part)....I'm sure they are seeing a lot of this. Go in there with the attitude that you tried it, it didn't work, and you need to make a change.

I'm hearing that some bariatric centers are taking out more bands than they are putting in.

The band is a failure, not you! Just go in and do it! They really can't say no........this is for your health...... :P

Hi Janet... my story sounds a lot like yours. I lost 30 pounds total with the band and regained what I had lost. I went to a new doctor last January who suggested I have the band removed. A lot people have little to no weight loss and many complications. I suffered with acid reflux for two years before I had revision surgery. I am so much happier with the sleeve. If your doctor is resistant to a revision try getting another opinion. I am so glad I did!

My story sounds just like yours, although I had more than 25 fills and unfills and lost 95 lb.s from constant vomiting. When I went for my revision ( with my original surgeon ) he was so empathetic I was amazed. The band has a very high failure rate. Best of luck to you. Kim

Hi I'm a band failer as well had band put in December 2007 had 7 fills nurses won't do any more saying gi and work with the band I've lost about 50 lbs that's it I've made appointment ts go there only to be told go work with it I've tried nd tried I've got pco I'm diabetic. All so got hi blood pressure hi colester and end up in hospit every other month for pancreatites dr has put a referral in fur sleeve just waiting for to come through scared I might be refused the sleeve as I've failed the band this was in derby hospital uk.

It's crazy how many onus have the same story!

I too am a failed TWO time lap banded and I am getting a revision pending insurance approval in Oct 25th

As far as insurance if you have a common insurance like United healthcare you should still get covered even if it takes longer because you still meet the same criteria as you did when you got the band... Your BMI is likely 35 - 40+ and they actually have a diagnose code for "undesirable" weight loss results and the band is diagnosed as mechanical defect because it did not produce the intended results making it a failed procedure. So even with no other symptoms your chances are good for approval because you are doing a revision. Plus you also mentioned other problems you are having due to the weight like leg pain... All of that is part of your medical records they will send.

If you think about it... In the log run its cheaper for insurance to pay for one sleeve surgery and get it over with verses paying for fills several times a year for the rest of your life on top of paying for additional surgeries caused by the band to repair the damage done. :)

It would be nice if the took the band off the market seeing how clearly the long term uses is so dangerous. I'm waiting for someone to file a class action law suite over the band because you know that is coming after seeing the identical same stories pop up everyday... You figure this website/app alone has patients from all over the United States so this is not the case of a doctor not knowing what he is doing this is happens to everyone in every state cause by the band makers!

I hope this eases your mind until you get approved

Good luck to ya

My surgeon told me that last year he did more band to RnY revisions than anything else.... I think it is expected. Good Job taking the first step!