Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does the sleeve make food a non issue?

I wonder if you are able to meet your Protein, Fluid, and supplement needs without obsessing,.craving, and logging all intake as time goes by? My hope is that I won't wake up thinking of food, be driven by my cravings and appetite, and won't feel that I have to eat what I see on TV (right now!) Has your gastric sleeve, even after the honeymoon period, allowed you to put food in it's proper perspective? Does the diet after surgery ever become...well...routine? Thanks...I am so tired of being ruled by food and wonder if this is a way to end that lifelong struggle.

Yes and no. For many people, the hunger is still there but gives away faster. For others it does go away. I still get just as hungry and have to respect it for what it is. But if I do eat I get full fast and stay full for longer than ever before.

Well, the sleeve is just a tool, it doesn't address your mental issues, and why you eat when you aren't hungry, etc.. That being said, I find I no longer really care about food, so it is much easier to concentrate on eating the right things. It has become very routine for me at this point (6 months out). I pretty much eat by the clock, 3 small meals a day, with some Snacks (cheese sticks, nuts, etc) in between the meals.

8 months out and everything seems "normal" and "routine" for me - that's a good thing! I don't feel like I'm doing anything really different or special. I just make better choices now and eat in smaller quantities, not because I feel like I "should" more like because I "have to". It's just the way it is... so yeah, total non-issue!

One thing I'll say is that even though I'm eating less than ever before, it really doesn't feel like a "diet" at all. When I'm hungry, I eat! But after a few bites, I'm full and enjoyed the food for what it was.

Your stomach will be smaller. And you may have hormone changes that help (Ghrelin). But it is not magical and your stomach is NOT your brain. You (we) MUST deal with our brain, up to and including TV ads. Whenever I see food on TV, it goes in my mental book of "Don't go there"... "EVER!

Good question and good posts.

The only time I think about food is when I am shopping for it, eating it, or talking on this forum.

No longer do I lay in bed dreaming up concoctions to run down my neck. No more endless drooling at the food Network trough.

Food has taken it's rightful place on a lesser shelf right next to my multi-Vitamins.

It is energy first, enjoyed but not worshipped, the vast majority of my pleasure in life is derived elsewhere.

This is forced life habit change which we clearly couldn't do with our full stomach. Eventually, you learn to embrace it and not let food determine if you're having a good day or a good time. It's hard though...the psychological aspects are understated. The doctors tell you about it but I recommend spending good time, ongoing, with your psychologist.

Before surgery I was obsessed with food. I'm a little over a year out and my head hunger is about 90% gone. I hope that never changes!

Your looking at it all wrong.......Try this. After the sleeve, picture yourself staring at a very small table right next to you with very small portions of healthy unappetizing foods on it. (just enough to keep you alive) Then right across this, not so very large expanse, is a Large Buffet table loaded with every kind of delicious food and dessert you can imagine. Only the expanse is bottomless quicksand teeming with quicksand sharks ready to devour you. (really, I've heard they really do have quicksand sharks). -- my analogy of course is the quicksand and sharks is my sleeve bursting and causing my dimise--

Can't picture it ???? Well, I can and I'm count'n on them sharks keeping me away from the buffet...........so don't spoil it for me. :unsure:

Does it make it a non issue??? In a word no.

I think for some of us only a lobotomy would do that..

Bwa Ha Ha... How much do they cost, and will my insurance pay for it???

Bwa Ha Ha... How much do they cost' date=' and will my insurance pay for it???[/quote']

No.. Not covered.

But I hear there are a couple of doctors in Mexico that offer it with the whole package real cheap!

It's called the supermodel package!

You get taller, better looking, skinny and... well.... slightly dumber.,

All for 8759.89 !!

Does it make it a non issue??? In a word no.

I think for some of us only a lobotomy would do that..

Bwa Ha Ha... How much do they cost, and will my insurance pay for it???

I would go for it, but I've been told, in my case the change wouldn't be that noticeable..............what's up with that?! :blink:

For me it has worked - so far at least. i do get hungry but with just a cracker and a slice of low-fat cheese I'm fine. I don't crave sweet things anymore - and i used to be an addict. Actually when i tried eating some dessert it felt too sweety almost disgustingly so. and that goes even for comercial juices. So yeah, i eat healthier and that is the only kind of food i want. I also don't care for coffee and I used to be addicted to that too. My whole sense of taste has changed for the better. :)