Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Raising money to private pay

After going through 5 months of my 7 month insurance diet, I found out that they weren't going to cover it even if I appealed. So I was very upset. 6 months later I found myself really sick and my doctor suggested the sleeve again. So I found out about private pay. I didn't want to go to Mexico because I have my heart set on a surgeon here, so I needed to come up with 15,000 dollars! (And let's just say that's not something easy to come by for me) after selling most of my possessions, getting support from family, and the prayers of many people, I find myself needing just a little more... but I have set a deadline for myself. I'm so confident in raising this money that my pre-op appointment is October 2nd, which will put my surgery during the 2nd week of october!!!! I just KNOW its going to be worth it. But i have to get that money In. Does anyone have any creative ideas to get that last few thousand to cover it?

Did you try Care Credit? I tried United Health Medical because my husband already had a Care Credit card. He asked for an increase in his limit because it was at $4100 and we hadn't used it in 2 years. They only increased it to $7500. United Health Medical was going to give me $7600. I applied for my own Care Credit. I asked for $18,500 as that's how much my surgery will be and they gave me a limit of $16,700!!

So, with Care Credit, his card and mine, we have it covered.

Good luck!

See if your employer will let you borrow from your 401K

Surgeon does not take care credit, nor can I get anything from 401K... Lol

Surgeon does not take care credit, nor can I get anything from 401K... Lol

If you have a 401K, you should be able to get a loan. You might also qualify for a "hardship" withdrawal (just be sure to put money aside for taxes). Good luck!!!

Could you get a credit card with a 0% interest period? Then your dr could run a portion on the card (or you could get a cash advance) and then make monthly payments over the 0% period...how about an unsecured, personal loan through a bank or credit union? (that's what I did).

As far as creative ways to raise money relatively quickly...not sure I've ever really thought about that, and this is not necessarily a "gem" ...but how about doing a "walk-a-thon" where people would pledge money for ea lap you walked...remember they did those as fundraisers when I was a kid...would guess there are some online resources you could look to for quick templates for how to structure...but that seems to be a way to show your commitment to getting healthy with the chance of raising a little money from a lot of people...or finding a local 5k or 10k and asking for pledges from people based on you completing it.

Oh, also something that I know is out there are websites where you can try to elicit funds from people to "fund your life". Here is a link to a story that talks about this "Internet phenomenon"

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/415094/crowd-funding_site_offers_open_alternative_kickstarter/

My doctor's office also accepted Springstone financing along with Care Credit.

Can you get a second job? Even if it's just long enough to raise the money you need...not necessarily something permanent.

Can you get a second job? Even if it's just long enough to raise the money you need...not necessarily something permanent.

great idea! But, thankfully things moved alone, I live on a farm and we sold some cows. I have my date now and all is well. Thank you all for the help!!

great idea! But' date=' thankfully things moved alone, I live on a farm and we sold some cows. I have my date now and all is well. Thank you all for the help!![/quote']

Now why didn't we think to suggest selling some cows? ;-). Glad it worked out. Best of luck to you as you continue on this journey.

Now why didn't we think to suggest selling some cows? ;-). Glad it worked out. Best of luck to you as you continue on this journey.

I just spewed my tea laughing at this

Apply for credit cards.. Go to a credit union ask for a loan. Ask if you can make payments!!

That's what I'm wondering. Haha! I guess you have to do what you have to do! Thanks! :)