Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not eating enough

I saw my dr and NUT today. I'm 1 month out and lost 22 pounds since surgery. I've been keeping my cal limit to 850 a day. My NUT told me that this was way too little and that I shouldn't even count calories. She said I should be esting between 1200-2000 daily and drinking 3-4 Protein Drinks each dyay. She said that my body was in starvation, which explains why I'm so tired and dizzy. She said I could have probably almost doubled my weight loss if I had been eating enough. You can bet I'll be esting more Protein starting now.

I have never heard of a nut that knows about this surgery saying you should be taking in that many calories already!!! That's rediculous. Now Protein on the other hand!! That's important, and that is what my nut says is important, that and fluids.

I saw a NUT last week for the 1st time. I was his very first sleeve so I'm his little pet project. He think I'm starving also. When I told him that most wls patients are eating way less than me (1,000 calories a day), he shook his head.

He's called me about 6x since then with some "new ideas" of things I could try, supplement I should take, ways to get Protein in. Guess he's staying busy now that he's got a project!

Are you a male? Beware! I was losing regularly at 800 cal. At 4 months out the NUT told me to increase to 1200 because my metabolism would slow down. What a mistake that was for me. It was very hard eating that much and the weight loss slowed way down. I am stuck at 9 months out with 23 lbs to go. If I had it to do over I would have continued doing what I was doing until I was at goal. If you are a male maybe you need more. This is just my experience.

Im 3 weeks out and probably dont get 500 a day lol

this is a long video, but if you have time to watch it:

I went through the same sort of thing. I could only manage to get in 600 calories for the first couple of months and I think it really affected my rate of loss. The video talks about how our bodies adapt to a low calorie diet and actually slows down the metabolism to maintain homeostasis.

I hit a stall the first week out after surgery. I had to really work to get my calories up. I didn't do it the proper way (because I didn't know what the right way was back then) which is slowly adding in calories. I just kind of jumped in there and went from 600 to 1000 and then I would feel full and then only eat 600 the next day.

I am very aware of my body and its needs. I could feel that I wasn't getting enough calories.

There are many who can lose weight with a low calorie diet (less than 1200 calories), but according to this dr./trainer there will be a point where you stop losing and you must go even lower to lose any body fat and your metabolism is ruined.

I hope this gives you some other options. There are many different paths to get to the same place, but some are longer and harder than others.

I am female. Thanks for posting the YouTube reference. It's very interesting. Not going to be competing but it seems to support what my NUT said. Don't want to live on 600 cal. I'm going to not worry about cals and concentrate on Protein, carbs and Water intake. Time (and the scale) will tell.

I am female. Thanks for posting the YouTube reference. It's very interesting. Not going to be competing but it seems to support what my NUT said. Don't want to live on 600 cal. I'm going to not worry about cals and concentrate on protein' date=' carbs and Water intake. Time (and the scale) will tell.[/quote']

Lol. I won't be competing either. The extreme low calorie diet is the same idea no matter the purpose.

Im 3 weeks out and probably dont get 500 a day lol

I'm the same way I'm 6 weeks out and only 3 bites max on most meals if you want to call it that. I try to eat fatter food to raise the cal and Protein intake but it seems I'm still stuck ): If I had to guess I get get in more calories by drinking alcohol then I do when I eat for the entire day. I don't drink every day of course but oh well ...

I'm the same way I'm 6 weeks out and only 3 bites max on most meals if you want to call it that. I try to eat fatter food to raise the cal and Protein intake but it seems I'm still stuck ): If I had to guess I get get in more calories by drinking alcohol then I do when I eat for the entire day. I don't drink every day of course but oh well ...

Fred why don't you try supplementing with 1-2 Protein shakes or high-protein Soups for a while, until you can eat more?