Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tracking vs Not Tracking- Thoughts?

Hey Everyone,

I see many folks are using Fitness Pal to track their food intake. I am about 6 1/2 weeks out and have not, as I am trying focus on listening to my new stomach on when to eat, and when not to eat. Should I be using a tool like Fitness Pal. Is there anyone else out there that does not, and are you happy with your progress?

My biggest challenge so far, is to slow down my eating at meals, but otherwise I have acheived pleasant results thus far. I have focused on consuming Protein rich foods (sashimi...yum), with a bite (literally) of the more starchy foods.

I am still new to the "sleeve life", and I see this as a good opportunity to develop better eating patterns.

Thoughts?

Tracking, especially when I started purees and solids, was essential for me. Even though listening to your sleeve is good, I know that I still don't feel hunger so if I waited for "signs" I wouldn't be getting in my calories or Protein. Tracking also helped my nutritionist when I went for followups, she was able to pull up my account and show me what I was doing right and where I could improve. Tracking also keeps me accountable.

Everyone has their process, you'll find what works best for you in conjunction with what your Nutritionist/surgeon recommend.

Like jerseygirl, tracking is very important for me. I'm 10 weeks out, and can tolerate any/all foods! I have horrible habits with grazing, and tracking keeps me in check. I have great restriction, but I could snack all day and easily consume probably over 1000 calories!

I am 7 months out. I track every day. It keeps me accountable.

I find tracking helps me preop to make sure I get the right amount of Protein. In the past when I diet, as soon as I stop tracking, that is the beginning of the inevitable regain.

I'm only a 10 days out, but I started tracking yesterday. It's really helping me to keep track of what I'm eating. If I waited for my tummy to tell me I was hungry, I wouldn't get anything in. If I were you, I'd give it a try. You can always stop if it's not beneficial.

I am 9 months out and I still track everything, every day. I also bought a FitBit that syncs with my MyFitnessPal account so I can keep track of how many steps each day. For me it is important because I don't have "dumping" and can eat anything except rice and Pasta (they make me sick). I need to keep myself accountable so that I don't spend the day munching on things I shouldn't be eating.

I would say since my sleeve surgery I have desired snacking more than before. I guess it's because I can't eat much at one time as I used to. I try my best to log every calorie I eat because it keeps me on track and aware, which keeps me in control.

You can still listen to your tummy, but an app like Fitnesspal lets you know if maybe you are accidentally listening to your head instead, or maybe it is antacid, or maybe you didn't get in as much liquid today as you thought, etc.

If we slip, it is a good resource to go back to and go "so that was what I was eating when I (gained, lost , stalled, broke out in hives, had the repetitive loose stools, tummy ache,, etc)".

I did not track until I was 2 months post op. I tended to eat when I felt hungry and if I could only tolerate a bite that was all I had. My consultant (UK) seems a lot more laid back than the USA ones and we had a lot less guidelines to follow, and definitely none of the rigorous tests and procedures you guys have to go through. For the first two weeks post op, I couldn't tolerate a stitch of Protein in any form and basically lived on very diluted ice tea. Everyone's journey is so unique and I think at the end of the day, you will find your own rhythm. Good Luck!!

I did not track until I was 2 months post op. I tended to eat when I felt hungry and if I could only tolerate a bite that was all I had. My consultant (UK) seems a lot more laid back than the USA ones and we had a lot less guidelines to follow' date=' and definitely none of the rigorous tests and procedures you guys have to go through. For the first two weeks post op, I couldn't tolerate a stitch of Protein in any form and basically lived on very diluted ice tea. Everyone's journey is so unique and I think at the end of the day, you will find your own rhythm. Good Luck!![/quote']

I'm UK too and I have to agree. Didn't have to have a leak test before discharge. When I asked the surgeon why he said that new research has shown it's really not necessary and the dye causes diarrhoea so they don't do it. I have to say I am totally impressed with my surgeon who seems to be right at the front when it comes to new techniques ( he is one of the few surgeons that can do the surgery via a single incision). I have been given a booklet on what I can eat at what stage and what to avoid. Other than that it's up to me what I do. I don't track. I am one of the few that feel hunger and so eat when im hungry.

I found that tracking comes in very handy once things aren't going well! When you hit a stall or don't feel well, the tracking data usually points you in the right direction. The way I use fitness pal is to load my selections into it the day before. This allows me to plan the food selections rather than getting into those situations where there seem like there are no good food choices.

I have been trying to cut down on my carbs lately, as I have found it easy to rack up high carbs but relatively modest calories. Using myfitnesspal has been very valuable in planning ahead.

Thanks everyone for your replies and input. I might be blessed, as, I don't have a problem with any foods, and I have not had any heartburn, and I seemed to accurately identify the feelings of hunger, or thirst (very subtle).

Some folks have stated that tracking is especially good during stalls...good point. This can something I can have in my back pocket, and when I reach a stall (I haven't yet), I can pull it out.

My desire, is to get away from counting, and back to choosing the right foods, eating in the right order (Protein first), and stopping when I am satisfied. For years, I would clean my plate (and have more). It may not work, and I may need to measure and track...and that's OK too!

Thanks everyone for your replies and input. I might be blessed' date=' as, I don't have a problem with any foods, and I have not had any heartburn, and I seemed to accurately identify the feelings of hunger, or thirst (very subtle).

Some folks have stated that tracking is especially good during stalls...good point. This can something I can have in my back pocket, and when I reach a stall (I haven't yet), I can pull it out.

My desire, is to get away from counting, and back to choosing the right foods, eating in the right order (Protein first), and stopping when I am satisfied. For years, I would clean my plate (and have more). It may not work, and I may need to measure and track...and that's OK too![/quote']

Eat slowly. It takes your stomach 20 minutes to register fullness. I try to take 20 mins to finish my meals.

Track! It may be easy now to eat such a low amount of calories, but a year from now when you are more hungry and can eat more it will really matter. It didn't take much for me in the beginning to stay on task. The further out you get, the more accountability you need to keep losing weight/maintain. It will be easier in the long run if you can get into the habit now.