Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second sleep study!

I just got a call from the sleep center saying I need to have a second sleep test done. So I guess they saw something on the first one that will require me to have a CPAP!! So not looking forward to this!!! I HATED the first one!! And I'm so annoyed since I thought I had just finished all of my Pre op testing and consultations and have a follow up with my surgeon on Monday so I was just hoping to be done and get my date set!!! I'm self pay so no need for insurance approval!! Just venting! Good thing is that they had an opening for tomorrow so I can get it out of the way! Any one have experience with a CPAP mask? Advice would be greatly appreciated!!

No experience with the CPAP mask, PLENTY of experience with sleep studies! So many, I did not actually take one for the surgery. I had such a background they just transferred a summary from one doc to the next and my surgeon was OK with it. I did, however, have to have the surgery either way so that may have been a part of it.

usually the first study "finds" apnea and the second sets you up with the right CPAP levels. THANKFULLY I was able to do both in one visit. PS, I love my CPAP machine. sleep GOOD, I do!

A CPAP mask can be difficult to get adjusted to. Just set your mind that you're not going to sleep without it. I love mine. I rest so much better. I even take naps with mine.

Years ago I did my sleep study because thankfully my husband realized I stopped breathing when I slept. I of course thought he was full of it. But off I went. Had my first one to determine if I had it and turns out it was severe. Went for the second one to see if a CPAP helped and which kind I could tolerate. I couldnt tolerate the full face one, I had the nasal pillow one. When I used it I loved it because I woke so rested and really got deep sleep but now that Ive lost almost 100 pounds, my apnea is cured and I no longer need it. I was actually able to stop using it after a 50 pound loss. Now my hubby says I dont even snore. Yeah for both of us lol.

I notice that several people reference sleep studies as if it isn one of the requirements for the surgery. My doctor has not mentioned this to me. Is this something I should bring up?

It's part of the program that I am in. I think it varies from place to place. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

My experience, mask was awful, as they put it on you air blows out at you, and it freaked me out. Felt a little claustrophobic! The full mask I just couldn't do it, but luckily they had others there for you, I ended up with a nose only one and done great the rest of the night!

Good luck!

I just got a call from the sleep center saying I need to have a second sleep test done. So I guess they saw something on the first one that will require me to have a CPAP!! So not looking forward to this!!! I HATED the first one!! And I'm so annoyed since I thought I had just finished all of my Pre op testing and consultations and have a follow up with my surgeon on Monday so I was just hoping to be done and get my date set!!! I'm self pay so no need for insurance approval!! Just venting! Good thing is that they had an opening for tomorrow so I can get it out of the way! Any one have experience with a CPAP mask? Advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I only had one study done and they detected apnea and set me up for a cpap machine. I love my machine as well. Didn't realize how bad I felt until I started using it. I try to go a couple nights with out it then I feel awful.

I had my first study done and it was awful! All the wires and crap plus the bed was the most uncomfortable one I've ever been on! It was uneven and the mattress hung off the end I only slept two hrs all night they said I had constant episodes of stopping breathing like almost every min. Hmmm since I didn't sleep all that much..... Anyway said thanks got the info but I'd wait till I reach my goal weight before looking into it If then.

I was diagnosed in 1997 and have used a cpap ever since. Not much luck with the nasal pad type delivery but I did well with the full facial mask. It's my hope that the weight loss will finally free me of this machine.

It took me a while to get used to the mask but once I did, it made a huge difference in my sleep pattern. I now can sleep through the night with no issues. My apnea ia severe so it made a dramatic improvement in my life!!!

After the weight loss from my lapband I thought I would be rid of the cpap machine as well but no such luck. Funny how my doctor said the weight is contributing to the sleep apnea but it's more than just the weight issue. So I guess I'm stuck with my machine for a long while. But it is serving the purpose.