Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best and worst "compliments"

Pre-sleever here - I have to say, I enjoyed reading thru this thread.

Some were funny and I LOL'd (my husband was in the other room and asked what I was reading). Some made me angry (the hairdresser, then I'll admit, I LOL'd). Some made me sad.

Thanks for sharing your stories! I can't wait to have my own in a few months.

Yesterday one of my nursing instructors, who I haven't seen in a few weeks, walks in the classroom looks at me and says "oh my gosh you are just melting" it made me feel good because as far as numbers go it hasn't been a drastic loss since I saw her last, but I can tell my body is changing and it's nice others can too.

I think it a cultural thing, when I went to Australia a Korean person wanted to take a picture with me because I was so fat, I can't wait to have my surgery.

Asian people are very concerned about weight!! My mother in law is Filipino and her and her family are ALWAYS talking about weight. Ugh.

Asian people are very concerned about weight!! My mother in law is Filipino and her and her family are ALWAYS talking about weight. Ugh.

My ex-in laws are also filipino and when my marriage ended the first thing my sil mentioned was me losing weight to get my husband back. It didn't matter of course, that I left him and didn't want him back lol.

I haven't had my surgery yet' date=' but I am in nov with a girlfriend of mine. We were talking about it to another friend of ours who is currently on another diet and she said, "so what, am I the only one that's going to donut the hard way?" We easily have over 100lbs on her. I love her, but that posses me off.[/quote'] I have had the easy way comments I told them to go through surgery eat what I eat and follow me walking and we will see about the easy way...... Lol

I have had the easy way comments I told them to go through surgery eat what I eat and follow me walking and we will see about the easy way...... Lol

Interestingly we've had two house guests after surgery, my dad who got here as we started soft foods, and a friend who visited later.

Both were very struck by how much discipline, work, will power, and planning it all took. My dad started out saying perhaps my brother and his wife should get the surgery. A week later, he changed his mind and said he thought it was a lot of work and that he didn't think they could stick with it. It's a matter of educating people. It sounds easy but really it's just ignorance talking.

So next time someone says that, as you mentioned, invite them to follow your every move for 2 days and see how they feel.

I remember reading about a woman who fed her family 1200 calories for two days, and had them realize how difficult their advice of "just go on a diet and lose it" actually was to follow.

Yes this surgery is definitely not the easy way. My surgeon emphasized that going in and boy do I believe him now! I have a friend who is obese and has been approached by her doctor twice to have this surgery. She told me she will never give up diet coke! And that's such a small factor, we give up so much more especially the first six weeks following surgery plus the Pre op. but I love my sleeve. I love that I eat one small serving, I love that I no longer think about getting my money's worth at buffets, I love that I finally have a tool that works.

Mmm so I am down 43 pounds I was 306 ..and I am wearing same new things like high heels and dress. .. whan my brother say am to fat to wear them heels with my dress. .. just like that he says that I should not dress like a skinny girl... so I cried and cried. ...that was my worst

Best - I was standing in the hallway down from my boss's office - he looked down the hall and said "Hey Skinny" - i'm not because it's only 2 months - but felt good - lol

Worst - during the 2 months, my husband kept saying "your legs are getting so skinny" - after the 4th time, I told him - "wow, don't know how these skinny legs can hold up this big body!" - did he not notice the 38 lb loss on my body also - :(

Mmm so I am down 43 pounds I was 306 ..and I am wearing same new things like high heels and dress. .. whan my brother say am to fat to wear them heels with my dress. .. just like that he says that I should not dress like a skinny girl... so I cried and cried. ...that was my worst

Tell your brother to go F@&$ himself! Grrrrrr! You are doing great! Don't let ANYONE bring you down!

Best: You look great!

Odd: I can tie those jeans around your neck-coworker about how baggy my pants were. I want to strangle her too sometimes lmbo!

Worst: You are wasting away on me, how much more are u gonna lose, you 'must' feel better, and I can see your face now! Don't ever gain that weight back.

I've had absolute strangers compliment me several times, so they don't know I've lost weight, just that I look pretty, happy, etc. it's odd, but the most flattering of all.

And I like when my dry cleaner says "Hi, Slim!"

Just went back East for a visit after 5 years.

Saw an old beau who looked amazed and said "You got prettier as you got older. That's not supposed to happen!" Um, thanks?

And my mom's cousin exclaimed "You look HOT! If you weren't related, I'd set you up with my son." Again, thanks?

I had a new one (to me) yesterday. I ran into a guy I used to work with and he moved his hands in a kind of hourglass shape and said in his cute British accent, " You're... You... it looks...well, there's less of you, isn't there?"

Yup.

Aha! Finally someone with a filter on their mouth! And you could even hear it working. Lol :)