Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much protein is too much?

My goal is 80 grams daily. But how much is too much? I know body builders that ingest 300 - 400 grams daily - egad!

I do not aspire to be a body builder. Just want to know if there is a recommended maximum for sleevers?

My NUT says 80 grams too and I am 7 months out.

I think it depends on your gender, height and goal weight, my NUT told me 80 grams, and I am 5'8. I have seen other people with lower Protein goals, but they were shorter women. I would go with what your doctor/NUT told you since we are all different.

For me, they told me 60-80 grams per day. I was advised anything more will decrease my weight loss. So I don't go over 80.

In my surgeons new book "Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success: A practical guide to help maximize your weight loss results" (2013), he states the following:

"...some surgeons and healthcare professionals are going overboard and pushing too much Protein. Some programs are telling patients to eat 80 grams of Protein a day. I believe this is way too much! your body probably cant process this much protein healthily. The 'average' American women only needs about 45 grams a day and a man needs about 55 gms a day. The initial push for such high protein levels was due to the malabsorption that occurred with gastric bypass and duodenal switch patients...All the protein we need is provided by our natural food sources, especially given our advances in surgery that lead to better absorption of nutrients."(pg 50).

Just thought I'd share

In my surgeons new book "Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success: A practical guide to help maximize your weight loss results" (2013)' date=' he states the following:

"your body probably cant process this much Protein healthily."(pg 50).

Just thought I'd share[/quote']

Does he really say "probably". Does he go on to back it up?

Stick with your protien requirements that your physician and Nut gave you. Too much protien cannot be filtered by your kidneys and can cause really big issues. Besides it will only add calories you do not need.

A high Protein diet is anything between 0.8-1gm per kg body weight. Each individual has different requirements depending upon daily activity. If you workout your requirement would be higher. It is necessary to keep hydrated while on a high Protein diet as to prevent renal stone formation.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using VST

Stick with your protien requirements that your physician and Nut gave you. Too much protien cannot be filtered by your kidneys and can cause really big issues. Besides it will only add calories you do not need.

Yeah this is important information. You have to get in at least 64ozs of liquid and probably more to handle large amounts of Protein. Also, I was told that eating more than 30 grams in a sitting may not be useful as you won't absorb it all.

At the same time, I've found that increasing my Protein from 45 (the "average" American woman as cited in that book above) to 70 has significantly sped up my weight loss. More protein equals less carbs because we can only eat so much.

Thank you everyone for the great information! It is early on in this new life so I am going to stick with 60 - 80 and adjust overtime based on what my body does.

Truly appreciate the insights - EXTREMELY VALUABLE.