Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did your friends and family react to surgery in Mexico?

I haven't told any friends or family of my scheduled VSG on Nov 14th in Mexico. The only person that knows is my husband.

How did your friends and family react to Surgery in Mexico?

My family flipped smooth out. Especially since I elected to travel there alone.

My girls, ages 25 & 21, were both shocked when I told them of my plans. My hubby was behind me but wanted to make sure I had researched all I could. I chose not to tell my brother it was Mexico. they thought I had found a cheaper surgeon being self pay outside of San Diego. Once home I confessed where I had gone and everyone is okay. I explained I didn't need to worry about them worrying and I had no regrets of my decision. If anything had happened it was all on me. Surgery in itself is hard to tell and we all know that everyone has their own opinions whether they know anything about being overweight or not. A few friends at work know about both Mexico & the surgery. If anyone comes right out and asks.....I'll be honest. After seeing my pics and seeing me beam about my experience with Dr. Illan how can they not be okay. Best decision I've made thus far :)

I didn't tell anyone that I went to Mexico. I'm not necessarily recommending anyone else go that route, but it was the right decision for me. I had made up my mind and did not want negative opinions thrust upon me.

I've been on the boards a lot the past few weeks, and from what I read I would suggest not to say anything to anyone. For me the only person that knows is my hubby of 31 years. It works for me.

My family was a bit concerned for my safety (drug lords/wars). Once I told them I had done my research, they were fine with my decision. I went by myself and had a great experience with Ready4Achange. I called my family when I arrived at the hotel and when I returned to the US. I have been honest about where I went to anyone who asks. So far noone has given me a bad time.

My original plan was to go to TJ alone. My cousin thought I was crazy. My husband insisted on going with me. My son respects my descision but looked at me with that look like... Seriously? My parents don't know I'm going to TJ. What they don't know...won't worry them. I think, at the end of the day...these people have heard some bad things about TJ but know that I do my research and have a good head on my shoulders. No one else knows besides my emidiate family.

I just told our kids I was going to nursing conference in San Diego. (There was actually one at the time) My husband dropped me off at the airport and went to my youngest dtr and built her a new bathroom. Flew home, hubby picked me up at the airport and home we went. When I was in Mexico they have a phone in the room and house to call the USA. Worked out well. Remember there are others that are having surgery and getting picked up at the same time. We looked out for each other. Good Luck with your decision. Linda

I originally only told my husband but finally broke down and told my sister who is my best friend. She hasn't even told her husband. After reading other posts I am so glad that I haven't told the rest of my family. I am going alone also but I feel safe after reading everyone's experiences. Surgery is the 13th.

Well I made a huge mistake and told a close friend who first went silent and then Hmmm'd in response to everything I said and you know that made me MAD - I don't have to justify my decision to anyone !

So, that told me right then and there, I am not telling anyone else. Hubby knows of course, but no one else.

I own a salon and have quite a larhe clientele. I told my clients because there would be no hiding the surgery. I think, by and large, they acted supportive but were anxious about MX......once I was home, they were fine with it because they could see my tiny little incisions and know there's no infection and I'm alive and well....lol....I was sleeved 8/21 with Dr Rodriguez.. my experience was amazing through beliteweight.com I highly recommend them. My family was behind me all the way because I involved them in the research. No argument they were worried but they'd have been no matter where I was. My 16 yo daughter went with me as my companion.....it was a great experience for her also. I stayed at the hosp 2 nights and flew home to oregon....nothing to it. They picked me up at the airport.... and droppped me back. I was never alone. Better facilities and better treatment than here in the states. :)

I own a salon and have quite a larhe clientele. I told my clients because there would be no hiding the surgery. I think, by and large, they acted supportive but were anxious about MX......once I was home, they were fine with it because they could see my tiny little incisions and know there's no infection and I'm alive and well....lol....I was sleeved 8/21 with Dr Rodriguez.. my experience was amazing through BeLiteWeight.com I highly recommend them. My family was behind me all the way because I involved them in the research. No argument they were worried but they'd have been no matter where I was. My 16 yo daughter went with me as my companion.....it was a great experience for her also. I stayed at the hosp 2 nights and flew home to oregon....nothing to it. They picked me up at the airport.... and droppped me back. I was never alone. Better facilities and better treatment than here in the states. :)

So glad to hear it well for you. My surgery is scheduled for Jan 7, 2014 with Dr Rodriguez, and always love to hear about other people's experience. I have heard only good things about him. I have only told my husband, children, and a cousin that lives in Juarez. The few friends I have told have had negative reactions, so I have decided not to tell anyone else. Good luck to you, and hope you have great success with your weight loss.

i was sleeved on 8 21 in tj mexico. did a lot of research and finally decided on weight loss agents . i got picked up at San Diego airport then stayed at hotel ticuan which was awesome. my doctor dr mario almanza at the jerusalem hospital was great . i told everyone about my plans . i got a lot of negative comments about my plans to travel to mexico , drug lords, beheadings , cartels etc.. i traveled alone but made friends quickly with other sleevers in my group . you go alone but will be with other sleevers most of the time so you wont really be alone ..

My 14 yr old son was very upset that I was going out the country and he couldn't go to make sure I was alright.. so guess what I just did..lol.. yep bought his ticket..lol

My 14 yr old son was very upset that I was going out the country and he couldn't go to make sure I was alright.. so guess what I just did..lol.. yep bought his ticket..lol

aww, that's so sweet :)