Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which is the best? Should it be chewable?

And,...what's the difference btwn Citrate and Carbonate? Does it matter?

Which is the best? Should it be chewable?

I've had the biggest struggle with Calcium. I think I've bought four different bottles so far but until yesterday I couldn't get them down. The chewables were the worst! I ended up with a Gummy citracal which I like but just now in looking at the label, I don't see calcium citrate. Argh! I was sure I saw that when I selected it yesterday.

Yeah, I tried the Unjury (multi and Calcium) but I could not stomach (ha) them after two weeks. (Anyone out there want two, mostly full, bottles? ). It's hard to find the citrate. Since I can now tolerate pills again, I have gone back to costco multi and Calcium (carbonate) - what I used to take before surgery. I'm hoping the amount of soy and regular milk I drink will make up for the lesser absorption?

doing some research. from Web MD:

"I tell my patients to take the kind that they tolerate best and is least expensive," Bolster says. She says she recommends calcium carbonate because "it's inexpensive, won't cause discomfort, and is a good source of calcium."

Some people's bodies may have problems making enough stomach acid, or may be taking medications that suppress acid production. For them, a calcium citrate supplement might be better because it "dissolves a little better than Calcium carbonate for these people."

The body can absorb only about 500 milligrams of a calcium supplement at any one time, so you can't just down a 1000-mg supplement first thing in the morning and call it a day.

Instead, split your dose into two or three servings a day. "The best way to take it is with a meal; calcium is absorbed better that way,". If your daily diet includes calcium-containing foods and drinks, you may not need multiple doses.

Some of your best sources of dietary calcium are yogurt (over 400 milligrams per 8-ounce serving), nonfat milk (about 300 milligrams per serving), and cheeses like mozzarella and cheddar (between 275 and 315 milligrams per serving). Some dark green vegetables, like spinach, are fairly high in calcium as well.

Keep in mind that there's really not that much difference between getting calcium in a supplement and calcium in food.

Hope this helps.

And' date='...what's the difference btwn Citrate and Carbonate? Does it matter?[/quote']

According to my pharmacist....the citrate and the carbonate "have different elemental absorption"...so I guess we just absorb the citrate better than we do the carbonate!

I've had the biggest struggle with Calcium. I think I've bought four different bottles so far but until yesterday I couldn't get them down. The chewables were the worst! I ended up with a Gummy citracal which I like but just now in looking at the label' date=' I don't see calcium citrate. Argh! I was sure I saw that when I selected it yesterday.[/quote']

I had the same issue. It's just about absorption. When I told my doc about my troubles w calcium they told me to find a carbonate I could take. Ultimately it's better to get calcium than not because nothing easy is citrate.

I bought the Bariatric Support Calcium wafers and I hate them. Its like flavorless chalk and makes me gag. Does anyone know if I can crush them and add them to my shakes instead of chewing them?

I guess they are Twin Lab brand, in case that maters.

I got the chews Carmel and choc. Both were really good. Felt like my daily treats. Two. Twice daily. I had the Celebrate brand. And Bariatric Choice carries some also. A little pricey. But worth it.

I bought the Bariatric Support Calcium wafers and I hate them. Its like flavorless chalk and makes me gag. Does anyone know if I can crush them and add them to my shakes instead of chewing them?

I don't see why you couldn't...you'll still be getting the same amount of calcium! I can still ask one if the pharmacists when I go to work tomorrow if you want me too?!

I don't see why you couldn't...you'll still be getting the same amount of calcium! I can still ask one if the pharmacists when I go to work tomorrow if you want me too?!

I would appreciate if you would ask for me. Thank you!!!

I would appreciate if you would ask for me. Thank you!!!

Will do!

I use Bariatric Advantage caramel calcium chews. They are my nightly treat -- taste like Kraft caramels, but sugar-free. Delish!