Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Puree Suggestions

So I don't want to brag, instead I thought I'd share some of the Puree ideas that have been working for me. I know everyone gets specific instructions from their doctors, and it seems like everyone gets different instructions from each other, but I thought I'd share: Comment and share if you like, and comment if you dislike.

Remember, after you're done processing whatever you're making to weigh it out to the appropriate serving sizes.

1) Rotisserie chicken

I find that buying a fresh rotisserie chicken was helpful in saving time and some energy. I debone it and rip the meat off the carcass into a bowl.

Then I chop it roughly on a board or a plate so it purees easier.

In the processor, I put in the chopped chicken as well as 1 tsp of pickle juice and 1 tsp of lite Mayonnaise for every 5 oz of chicken.

Process it

2) Ground Turkey Provencal - 93% lean

The turkey is actually a really great platform for adding flavor, and my nutritionist told me that dried herbs are alright for after a few days out of the hospital.

1lb. ground turkey

1/4 tsp dried thyme

1/4 tsp dried sage

1/4 tsp dried tarragon

1/4 tsp dried rosemary - however you have to crush the rosemary. don't keep it in its long form

1 /4 cup low sodium vegetable stock

mix the turkey and herbs. Heat 1tsp of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the turkey and cook it until it is half cooked. The turkey should be a little browned, probably a little grey, but not completely cooked. Add the vegetable stock and continue to cook until it is completely absorbed into the turkey.

Take the turkey and let it cool to almost room temp. Then add half to the food processor. Add 2 Tbsp of plain greek yogurt or Lite mayo. Process!

3) Italian Chicken

My nutritionist suggested using a light Tomato sauce as a moisturizer when food processing. Of course ask your own nutritionist, but here's what I've been doing.

1 lb. ground chicken

1 cup light tomato sauce

Heat up 1 tsp of olive oil in a pan. When it's hot, put in the chicken. Cook it through. When it's finished, let it cool to room temp.

Chop up the chicken so it's in small pieces. Add to the food processor. Gently process, and add the tomato sauce just before you are finished processing.

4) Baked Greek Lamb

1/2 lb of Lamb Shoulder. If you're fancy, you can use chops. The shoulder will have a bone or two you need to remove.

1/4 cup tzatziki (greek white sauce)

1/8 tsp cumin

1/8 tsp coriander seed

Coat the lamb pieces with the spice mix. Bake the lamb on a baking sheet. Use an olive oil spray or lightly spread around a little olive oil on the baking sheet. Make sure it isn't too much oil.

Bake the lamb until it is cooked through. Remove and cool

Cut the lamb into small pieces, add to processor and lightly process. Just before it is at puree'd texture, add the white sauce.

I hope you enjoy these if you try them. If not, sorry!

NOMNOM NOMOMONOMMMY NOM!

I have surgery Monday, so when the puree stage comes, I will have to come bother you! :P

What great ideas! Thanks for posting.

OMG!!! These sound wonderful! I'm 3 weeks out and have been dying for an answer to change from Soups and Protein Shakes (ESP since I'm having such a hard time with protein). And each of these, I LOVE! Thank you SO much for the inspirations! I have also been struggling with queasiness! Does anyone else experience this? I didn't have it after my stay in the hospital, but I feel like I'm super sensitive to everything! I don't even WANT to eat because of it. Hopefully these ideas will help. Lastly, while I don't have a processor, I wonder if my blender will work temporarily...

OMG!!! These sound wonderful! I'm 3 weeks out and have been dying for an answer to change from Soups and Protein shakes (ESP since I'm having such a hard time with protein). And each of these, I LOVE! Thank you SO much for the inspirations! I have also been struggling with queasiness! Does anyone else experience this? I didn't have it after my stay in the hospital, but I feel like I'm super sensitive to everything! I don't even WANT to eat because of it. Hopefully these ideas will help. Lastly, while I don't have a processor, I wonder if my blender will work temporarily...

Tconn - good luck and enjoy! I have a bunch of others, so if you struggle a bit, let me know and I'll be happy to share more with you.

As for a blender vs food processor, I'm not really sure, but if the blender is good, i don't see why not.

Queasiness - I have only had problems when taking hot showers or being in the sun for long periods of time. My doctor told me that heat lowers blood pressure, and that can have a drastic effect. When I took a hot shower when i was first home, I felt like I had vertigo. It happened again and since then its only cool showers - granted i'm only 3 weeks post-op, but that's where i'm at. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the suggestions Lloyd. It's been hard to find food that I can get down and I love the chicken idea.

Great ideas, I start on pureed in one week. Thanks!!!

Excellent! Thanks - I start Friday!

Was thinking about pureeing thanksgiving leftovers, like turkey with just a bit of gravy.

Anyone tried freezing these puréed in an ice cube tray? How does that work?

So I don't want to brag, instead I thought I'd share some of the Puree ideas that have been working for me. I know everyone gets specific instructions from their doctors, and it seems like everyone gets different instructions from each other, but I thought I'd share: Comment and share if you like, and comment if you dislike.

Remember, after you're done processing whatever you're making to weigh it out to the appropriate serving sizes.

1) Rotisserie chicken

I find that buying a fresh rotisserie chicken was helpful in saving time and some energy. I debone it and rip the meat off the carcass into a bowl.

Then I chop it roughly on a board or a plate so it purees easier.

In the processor, I put in the chopped chicken as well as 1 tsp of pickle juice and 1 tsp of lite Mayonnaise for every 5 oz of chicken.

Process it

2) Ground Turkey Provencal - 93% lean

The turkey is actually a really great platform for adding flavor, and my nutritionist told me that dried herbs are alright for after a few days out of the hospital.

1lb. ground turkey

1/4 tsp dried thyme

1/4 tsp dried sage

1/4 tsp dried tarragon

1/4 tsp dried rosemary - however you have to crush the rosemary. don't keep it in its long form

1 /4 cup low sodium vegetable stock

mix the turkey and herbs. Heat 1tsp of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the turkey and cook it until it is half cooked. The turkey should be a little browned, probably a little grey, but not completely cooked. Add the vegetable stock and continue to cook until it is completely absorbed into the turkey.

Take the turkey and let it cool to almost room temp. Then add half to the food processor. Add 2 Tbsp of plain greek yogurt or Lite mayo. Process!

3) Italian Chicken

My nutritionist suggested using a light Tomato sauce as a moisturizer when food processing. Of course ask your own nutritionist, but here's what I've been doing.

1 lb. ground chicken

1 cup light tomato sauce

Heat up 1 tsp of olive oil in a pan. When it's hot, put in the chicken. Cook it through. When it's finished, let it cool to room temp.

Chop up the chicken so it's in small pieces. Add to the food processor. Gently process, and add the tomato sauce just before you are finished processing.

4) Baked Greek Lamb

1/2 lb of Lamb Shoulder. If you're fancy, you can use chops. The shoulder will have a bone or two you need to remove.

1/4 cup tzatziki (greek white sauce)

1/8 tsp cumin

1/8 tsp coriander seed

Coat the lamb pieces with the spice mix. Bake the lamb on a baking sheet. Use an olive oil spray or lightly spread around a little olive oil on the baking sheet. Make sure it isn't too much oil.

Bake the lamb until it is cooked through. Remove and cool

Cut the lamb into small pieces, add to processor and lightly process. Just before it is at puree'd texture, add the white sauce.

I hope you enjoy these if you try them. If not, sorry!

I just want to say thank you. When i heard pureed my mouth dropped, it didn't sound good but after reading your recipes I am starting to look forward to the next stage.

Great ideas! Please do share more!!