Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr MICHEL GAGNER, Montreal, anyone? need reassurance before i take the plunge!

I am scheduled for my VSG on November 29th with Dr Gagner. I too am self pay. So far my experience has been excellent. I was unable to see him in person (iam 6 hours away) so I had a telephone consultation. He answered all my questions and so far his support staff have been great too. Very quick to answer all my follow up questions. Admittedly, getting nervous as the day approaches.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

He was my surgeon and I can't say enough good about him or his staff, the facilities, or my experience as his patient. I will make a longer post about this when I have time later. I highly recommend him!

I look forward to your reply Shell Renewed! ⭐️

@@Travelher I'm not certain about revisions as that is a special case.

For the initial vsg, there are many great experienced doctor's but not only is Dr. Gagner experienced, he literally is the one who pioneered the current surgery we all get (keyhole/larcascopic vsg) and there are many medical periodicals and references that attest to it. If it's experience (in addition to competence) that someone wants, it doesn't get any better. Among many online references this is one:

In 1999, the first laparoscopic approach to the duodenal switch was developed on a porcine model by deCsepel, Jossart, and Gagner.[6] The sleeve gastrectomy portion of the procedure was found to be feasible. Gagner proceeded with the laparoscopic duodenal switch on humans but noted a high complication rate in the higher body mass index (BMI) group.[7] He subsequently developed the technique of staging the intestinal bypass procedure by performing the laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy first as an initial stage.8 From 2001 to 2003, seven patients with a BMI of 58 to 71kg/m[2] underwent a first stage sleeve gastrectomy with a subsequent Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. The average EWL was 37kg (33%EWL) and this allowed for a safer second stage. These preliminary results quickly popularized the procedure as a safer laparoscopic option for the higher BMI group.

If you look up medical procedures you can see he's done a lot of pioneering in the field, though his website's own bio sums it up most succinctly

https://cliniquemichelgagner.com/en/clinique-michel-gagner

Edited by Shell Renewed

Thank you! I did do a lot of research on him. I have confidence in his abilities, that's for sure! It is such a big leap! How was your post op experience? I am 215lbs. BMI of 35. Which is why I am self pay. Looking fwd to finally having a permanent tool to help me get back to the 140's. Any tips or tricks r welcome

@@Darcia how did your surgery go? I have my surgery booked with Dr Gagner for December 20th. Very nervous. Thanks!

@@AnneElliot Let me know how your surgery goes. Mine is the 20th with Dr Gagner.

Hello BHappy! First of all I must say that dealing w this clinic was excellent on all levels. U may b speaking w his nurse, Azadeh. She is a lovely lady. Tell her I said hello! She has a lucky quarter of mine. Lol. Dr. Gagner spoke to me before surgery and went thru the process. Now for my story.

Firstly, in my surgery day I weighed 207lbs. I only had to do a liquid diet the day before, so easy peasy. I stayed at the hotel they set up. It was great and very close.

Dr. Gagner said my surgery went perfectly. I was the best one of the three he did that day. HOWEVER, I quickly became a a part of those RARE cases he will tell you about. 1% of patients suffer from a bleed soon after surgery. This happened to me. When they got me up for the first time and Azadeh brought me to the bathroom I guess I pushed to hard when trying to pass urine. I bled from my middle belly site. They were quick to put me in a chair, get me to my bed and call for an ambulance to go to the hospital. Dr Gagner 's clinic is not set up in case a blood transfusion is reqd. Before I left they made sure I was ok, stable and comfortable. They suspected the bleed had stopped but sending me to the hospital was Dr Gagner taking precautions. My well being was his priority. You are in good hands. He accompanied me in the ambulance. It's a blur after that. But I did receive 2 bags of blood to pump up my hemoglobin and give me s good start to recovery. I received all pain meds required and they did a CT scan to ensure the bleed stopped -which it did. Ice chips were essential! Drinking tough. I was hydrated thru the IV so it was ok. My surgery was Tuesday and I didn't actually start walking till Thursday. I was able to go back to the hotel Thursday at 7pm and I caught my flight home on Friday. It was quite the ordeal! Iam happy at home now and figuring things out. It is hard. Expect a wee bit of "buyers remorse". That is normal and that thought passed quickly. Getting the nutrition is is challenging but stick to the nutritional guidelines you will b given and it will b good. For the most part I have broth, Protein shakes, Jello, puréed Soup like butternut squash but very very small amounts. The scale victories happen quickly. Today I was 199.7lbs. I haven't been out of the 200's in many years. The happiness is coming more and more each day.

You are in good hands. My case is rare. I guess iam special. Lol.

Dr Gagner visited me everyday in the hospital and oversaw my care. Azadeh called my husband twice checking up on me. I have already received a follow up from her.

Good luck on your journey. Take it slow. You are making this choice for you for your own reasons. You will b happy with Dr Gagner and his staff. Any questions feel free to ask. Darcia

Thanks @@Darcia ! This was helpful to read. I am really nervous,but feel a lot better knowing you've just been through it. I will let you know how it goes! Not long now. It was a last minute decision for me to do this once my endocrinologist said I had no real options but surgery. I have been spending my days researching and trying to get my head around it all. Does Dr Gagner offer post operative care. I am in TO and when I spoke to the Ontario Bariatric Network they said because I am going out of province, I won't qualify for their program.

Thanks and speak soon!

There is aftercare but minimal is included. I will b speaking to him on the phone at one month post op. Blood work is done at 3,6 and 12 months. I went to my family doctor and she requisitioned blood work for me now bc of the transfusions. U have 2 nutritionist consults included in your fee w dr Gagner. I had the first one a week before surgery by telephone. It was an hour conversation. I did not feel rushed. The second one will b 2-3weeks post op. That one may b more helpful as iam now trying to put into practice what they sent to me on paper. I won't lie, drinking and eating at this early stage is so hard. U feel full a few sips in. It's unimaginable but totally true. So one small Protein Meal Replacement drink I bought takes an hour or more to get in. Iam constantly sipping. No straws!

@@Darcia thanks for all the great info. It's helped calm my nerves a lot. I am worried about post op care to keep my mind straight as I know when you go through the province the pre and post op programs are quite intensive. I hope you're feeling well!

Post op is hard but u could always get a nutritionist here. U should b able to get some info from your family doctor. The "what can I eat" is simply the biggest thought I have. Dr Gagner's office checked in on me again yesterday. I spoke w Azadeh who gave me some great ideas. They want me to get blood work done and I told them my family doctor already set it up. I have to send my results when I get them. I don't know where u r at as a starting point or how much support u think u need. But if everything goes as it should this surgery will become the tool that we finally have to help us lose all the extra pounds we have been carting around for so long. Hunger will not b an issue. That is the BIGGEST asset post op. One day, one moment and one meal at a time!!!!

Thanks @@Darcia ! How are you feeling? How many weeks out are you now?

It is 2 weeks today. I have lost 14lbs. I feel pretty good. I get tired quickly. Iam sure that is because of the lack of calories going in. This is a process you DEFINATELY can't rush. I had my blood work taken and everything was good. My Iron was very high but that is bc of the blood transfusion. I take my Vitamins everyday and am getting monthly B12 shots at my family doctors office. Iam still on puréed/soft food and am totally ok with that. I like apple sauce, Greek yogurt and Soups. I made a really good lentil Soup on the weekend. Lots of Protein. Your day is quickly approaching!!! Next week! Take a deep breath. Know the beginning isn't easy but each day you get physically stronger which helps. Be prepared, ur brain takes MUCH longer to catch up. Your brain has no idea what u did to your body and thinks it can eat. HA! Tricked you brain! The body has taken over this challenge! Lol. Keep In touch. Ask any questions you like, I'm here!

@bhappy.... your day is almost here! How are you feeling?

Hey @@Darcia ! Sorry, I some how missed your messages. I'm starving right now so can't wait for all the soups! I replied to your message. Thanks for checking in. Only a few hours to go!