Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Months out... My story

It has been awhile since I have posted here. So long, that I almost forgot that I was a member. September 15th will make 5 months since I had my surgery. A lot of things have changed for me. First off, the Protein shakes, had to stop. At first they were easy, and great. Except, I could only drink one kind and only one flavor of that kind. Everything else was making me sick. Of course, two of the same flavor, of the same kind, twice a day, every day, after a few months, also started to make me sick. It got to the point where I was getting sick, thinking about drinking the shakes. My meal also changed. After the healing seemed to complete, I noticed I started eating more often. At first this bothered me, because the idea of eating more often, seemed in my mind to defeat the purpose. Yet, I also noticed that I was eating a lot less.... just more frequently. I also noticed I was drinking a lot more fluids then I had ever done. I also, have not had a drink of soda, since my surgery, which I think probably also helped. I noticed that bread, will not be eaten again. That includes cake, Bagels, doughnuts, etc. I have tried almost all of these things, and while it does not make me sick, it hurts. I am not a fan of pain, so I do not try them again. I find that I do not miss any of them. I have noticed that I have a very huge craving for grapes. I now go through grapes, like I used to go through milk. I used to go through a lot of milk (something else I find, I do not miss.)

Well, after almost 5 months, and fearing that my eating was going to become a problem, I have lost 92 pounds. I am very close to the goal that my doctor set for me, and I believe I will pass that goal. Some other things that have changed. I am off all of my medications, except for my thyroid. Since I eat more times a day then I used to, I find foods that are high in Protein for Snacks, such as tuna. For the first 3 months, I could not eat tuna, but my dietitian told me to keep trying. She said that if I am going to cut out the Protein Shakes, I needed to find other sources, and tuna is a great source. So far, now at 5 months, I find I can eat tuna again. In fact, other then the breads, I have found that I can eat just about anything. My sweet weakness is M&Ms. I usually eat a bag of them a week. Which compared to how I used to eat them.....much much different. I also have a weakness for chocolate chip frappachino from Mcdonalds. I had someone tell me, I should not drink those, but I compare it to what I used to get at Mcdonalds. One meal at Mcdonalds for me used to be, a double quarter pounder, large fries, two mcdoubles, and a milkshake. Now a meal for me at Mcdonalds is the frappachino, and thats it. So I felt guilty at first, but not so much in contrast. That and instead of going like 3 times a week, I go like once a month.

I also found out, that I can run. I started running a mile every morning. It was only taking about 7 minutes once I got into it, that I thought that was not enough time. So now, I run for 30 minutes every morning. One day I will try to see how far I am going. I leave my house, and run for 15 minutes, and then turn around and run back. It is amazing, because I would not run before. I used to have a joke at work, that if someone made me chase them, they would get hurt if I caught them for making me run. Now, I have had to chase people, and smile the whole time I am doing it. In my local area, I am signed up for two 5ks.... coming up in October, and another run, called a Mud run in December. That one has an obstacle course, which I think I need some training for. Learned about something called a Zombie run, which I will be doing next year.

As far as more personal things, there was a rumor that I was told about.... size. I am talking about the little guy size....downstairs. Anyway, I was told that for every 30 pounds lost, I would gain an inch. I thought that was complete BS, yet, it was extremely pleasing to one day wake up in the morning, and notice that I could see.... everything. In a way that I had never experienced. Then to top it off, my wife, told me some stuff about things that could not be done before, that was being done now. I do not want to go into detail, but that rumor, seems to have a bit of truth behind it. Something I used to be ashamed of, I am now very proud of.

My kids have noticed a difference with me as well. I am doing all sorts of activities with them. Went to a Water park with them, and they where shocked that I went on the slides with them. Something I would not even think about doing before. I had an amazing time, and I am sure they will remember it for a long time. Something I do not think I would have been doing before I had the surgery.

I also got very luck with loose skin. As, so far, I do not have any, and have been told by the doctor, that I might not have any. He said to make sure, once I lose to the point I feel comfortable, I should start weight training. That building up muscle, would help fill in the skin, that was full of fat. Sounds like a plan to me. Anyway, that is my story so far. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me.

Wow this makes me happy especially the part with your kids, I feel like I don't do a lot with my kids because of my weight too, I'm hoping I can have as much success as you.. I'm 6 days post op :-)

keke, I believe that if I can do this, that anyone can do it. At 6 days after, I am guessing that you are still on the all clear liquid diet, which I HATED. I was also resting and thus watching a lot of TV, and got to see just how many food commercials there are. Just a tip when re introducing food, something I learned the hard way, take it slow at first. The slower the better. You eat to fast, or eat to much, you new stomach will let you know about it. Best of luck to you.

You are awesome! Congratulations on your success :) everything has just fallen into place-- I love it! The things you were worried about turned out to be ok, and you've done SO WELL. I enjoyed reading this very much, and I thank you for sharing! I've had this crazy thought in my head recently that I might like to try running, but dismissed the thought as crazy....now you have inspired me to try!

thanks!

I'm so glad to read this!! Congrats on all of your success. Thank you so much for sharing your story, I really enjoyed reading it. It sounds like your life has a much greater quality than it used to. What a joy for you!! Keep up the good work and enjoy every minute of your new life! :)

keke' date=' I believe that if I can do this, that anyone can do it. At 6 days after, I am guessing that you are still on the all clear liquid diet, which I HATED. I was also resting and thus watching a lot of TV, and got to see just how many food commercials there are. Just a tip when re introducing food, something I learned the hard way, take it slow at first. The slower the better. You eat to fast, or eat to much, you new stomach will let you know about it. Best of luck to you.[/quote']

Yes I'm on liquids and hungry lol.. Thanks for the advice

Yes I'm on liquids and hungry lol.. Thanks for the advice

Once you start the hard liquids, you will find that hunger will go away quickly. Just the thicker stuff will help a lot. I found that cream of chicken, and cream of potatoes, and those others that I thought would be terrible, are now favorites of mine. In times when I start to worry that I am eating to much, I will go back on the hard liquid diet for a week or so.

Great motivation - loved your story . I joined the gym yesterday and while I have never been a person that worked out previously , I am hoping it will come naturally now . I also walk at night and have dreamed that one day I will jog ;) I truly can't believe how much easier exercising / walking is now after surgery ... I can finally breathe !!!

Great post and thank you for sharing your updates.

Wow amazing journey! Thank u for sharing and congrats!!

Thanks for sharing. Very motivating! I'm 3 1/2 months out and down 60 pounds. I already see huge differences. You seem so much happier and healthier. Keep up the good work!

Great motivation - loved your story . I joined the gym yesterday and while I have never been a person that worked out previously , I am hoping it will come naturally now . I also walk at night and have dreamed that one day I will jog ;) I truly can't believe how much easier exercising / walking is now after surgery ... I can finally breathe !!!

I noticed that too. One of the first things I noticed, was that I started sleeping less. Went from about 10 hours of sleep at night to about 5 or 6 hours. Yet, I feel like I have slept when I wake up now. sleep Apnea was the first thing to go for me. Wife told me I stopped snoring midway through week 2.

Anyway, I started trying to run around month 2. Once you get started, it gets easier each time. I am not an expert, but I think with the less weight, the blood can travel faster, as it has less area to go, and thus the oxygen is made available more. I might be totally off about that, but makes sense to me.

Congrats on your success! Do u have any before an after pics?

I do, I will have to post some tomorrow when I get home. I also have a video of before and after on youtube. The mikeyaintskerd is the username.