Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What role does the Scale play in your life?

Do you find it helpful to weigh yourself that much? Doesn't make you crazy? I find that doing that makes a person neurotic. I weigh myself once a week at most. Keeps things in perspective. My weight is going to change with food' date=' Water, and intensity of my workout.[/quote']

I believe it may be my transfer addiction. If I don't weigh, I feel anxiety. My husband tried taking the scale, and I was on edge all day until he got home from work.

I think the daily weighing is a habit more than anything else' date=' and we've given up so many habits that were bad for us in this sleeve journey, why not give up one more for a week? As the wise child said, it's not like you can eat less if the scale gives you news you don't like. ;-)

Lisa[/quote']

You know, your comment about giving up one more bad habit stayed in my head for a long time. That's exactly what it is isn't it? This need for instant gratification, and that excuse to give up because we STILL hadn't lost weight in the last 45 minutes! :)

I've been reading this thread and I find it very interesting. I will admit to being an everyday weigher....I don't mind. My weight loss stopped months ago just slightly north of goal, and I've been teetering 5-10 pounds back and forth ever since. No biggie, but I keep weighing everyday just to see if anything has changed. Most days it's the same, and sometimes I'm relieved by that knowing what I ate....and other days I'm surprised knowing I may have had a very long run and not eaten much. Other days it will inexplicably jump up 5 pounds over night....only to fall back down in a day or 2. But bottom line, I'm at a point where it doesn't really bother me whatever the number....but I keep doing it as part of my self accountability. In my past weight loss attempts, my regain was always coupled with an unwillingness to get on the scale. I'm trying to prevent that mistake from ever repeating itself.

I've been reading this thread and I find it very interesting. I will admit to being an everyday weigher....I don't mind. My weight loss stopped months ago just slightly north of goal' date=' and I've been teetering 5-10 pounds back and forth ever since. No biggie, but I keep weighing everyday just to see if anything has changed. Most days it's the same, and sometimes I'm relieved by that knowing what I ate....and other days I'm surprised knowing I may have had a very long run and not eaten much. Other days it will inexplicably jump up 5 pounds over night....only to fall back down in a day or 2. But bottom line, I'm at a point where it doesn't really bother me whatever the number....but I keep doing it as part of my self accountability. In my past weight loss attempts, my regain was always coupled with an unwillingness to get on the scale. I'm trying to prevent that mistake from ever repeating itself.[/quote']

I have weighed daily for years to keep myself accountable. The only times I've historically stopped weighing was when I knew I was either misbehaving or putting on weight despite my best efforts. It made sense then.

Right now, all it's doing is convincing me I'm the medical marvel that will fail at this. Then again, if that happened, at least I'd be rich and famous so...:)

I don't like depending on things. I'll give up coffee if I think I'm getting addicted. I'm starting to wonder if I am addicted to weighing.

Thank you so much for this thread! I am glad it wasn't just me. I am still pre-op but have been dieting and working out. I became so neurotic over my weight, I would end up weighing myself whenever I went to the bathroom. I realized I couldn't do that anymore, so this week, I am trying to not weigh myself until Friday, a week from my weigh in at the doctor's office. But I like that scale better than the one at home. It is nicer to me. :/

Thank you so much for this thread! I am glad it wasn't just me. I am still pre-op but have been dieting and working out. I became so neurotic over my weight' date=' I would end up weighing myself whenever I went to the bathroom. I realized I couldn't do that anymore, so this week, I am trying to not weigh myself until Friday, a week from my weigh in at the doctor's office. But I like that scale better than the one at home. It is nicer to me. :/[/quote']

Well there's an immutable truth we all follow. The scale that reads the lowest was clearly the most accurate one. :)

For what it's worth, I'm a daily weigher. However, it's more about me being curious about patterns in my weight loss plus keeping myself focused and accountable. Up a pound or two doesn't upset me in the least, as long as the overall average trend for the last four weeks is downward. I would start paying more attention if I kept creeping up or didn't start downward within a couple of weeks, though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST

I have been one to weigh every morning and recently started weighing at night. The strange part is that my weight no longer fluctuates the "2 lbs" a day like it did before the sleeve. My weight is the "same" all day long and "magically" changes by the next morning. I don't understand it but at least I am slowly loosing again so I am not complaining.

Think what the posts here show is that for some, weighing too often is unhealthy as it is a form of addiction that controls them. But for others, it is just another tool that helps them manage this journey.

All I can say is that we are all on our own journeys running on parallel lines. What works for me won't necessarily work for anyone else. But what the responses show is that you are never alone, there's always someone who's having a similar journey and just hearing that helps. There's no right way of doing any of this...

All these sound familiar ...

Since being sleeved on Jun 28th, I've finally made peace with the scale. For the first 6 weeks, I was on it several times a day. I got to the point now where I put it away M-F and only leave it out on the weekends. I find that is has helped my sanity a bit. Even checking it during the day, I realized how much you weight fluctuates in a day. And my darn scale has the partial weights!! Darn digital!! ...

Anyway, I'm on that thing first thing Saturday morning and again Sunday, but by Sunday night, it goes back into the cabinet, so I can't use it.

I find it's a little less stressful this way and helps out a lot!!

For what it's worth' date=' I'm a daily weigher. However, it's more about me being curious about patterns in my weight loss plus keeping myself focused and accountable. Up a pound or two doesn't upset me in the least, as long as the overall average trend for the last four weeks is downward. I would start paying more attention if I kept creeping up or didn't start downward within a couple of weeks, though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST[/quote']

Thank you for that insight. My wife thinks I should weigh myself a few times a week, but I just thought that would add to my crowded plate. I already have some issues with OCD.

Thank you for that insight. My wife thinks I should weigh myself a few times a week, but I just thought that would add to my crowded plate. I already have some issues with OCD.

so how often do you weigh?

Second day of no scale for me! NSV takes on a new meaning :)

I weigh once a week. I tried the multiple times a day and promptly stopped. I wasn't doing myself any by doing that. I don't cheat so my weight has being down with the exception of an occasional stall.