Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

confidence and self esteem.

Has anyone noticed that after having successfully had surgery and lost weight, that you have had a better outlook on life? Has it changed your personality

gawd, I hope it will. I am in a crappy place right now. I need a life changing event, badly...

I believe it has changed me, but not sure EXACTLY how. I thought I'd have more energy, but at times I feel just as lazy. I guess the big difference is that I can get through an entire 60 minute exercise class without dying. Other than that, mentally, I am still fat and the surgery certainly doesn't fix all of your personal issues.

It hasn't really changed my personality, but I am definitely more confident. I feel better about myself, not only because I look better now, but because I'm doing something for myself. I feel better physically so I'm happier and I'm able to do more. I'm more likely to put myself out there where before, I let my weight sheild me from life. So I'm the same person, but really living my life now.

That's it exactly - I'm LIVING my life. I still have lazy days, depressed days, and good days. I just don't spend it all on the couch or in slow motion. I have more confidence and smile more often, but I feel better physically (less pain), too. I think taking ownership and taking action gives us the confidence.

It has not changed my personality as I had a good one when I was fatter. I do have way more energy and do things I would not have 100 pounds ago. For instance I needed a shed at the house and instead of paying someone to put it up for me I decided to do it myself. Worked on it the entire Labor Day weekend 90% by myself. I would have never done this before as I would have lasted a few hours and that's it.

Im just wondering if it will give me boost I need. Already the prep to this journey has been very emotional for me. Ive been upturning everything that was once established and getting all my stuff out in the open for meto deal with since iwont have food to repress or replace emotions. I wonder if the culmination will be this surgery and I can expect that with my new life I will finally feel like ok ive a sense of accomplishment and no longer hide behind my fat shell

I believe it has changed me, but not sure EXACTLY how. I thought I'd have more energy, but at times I feel just as lazy. I guess the big difference is that I can get through an entire 60 minute exercise class without dying. Other than that, mentally, I am still fat and the surgery certainly doesn't fix all of your personal issues.

You are so right. The surgery certainly didn't fix the reason I ate and got to be the weight I was. Which is where counseling has REALLY helped me. I started 5 months before surgery and I still go every week. Identifying why I eat has helped me address issues that may eventually have led me to gain the weight back down the road when I will be able to eat more. The mental part of this journey is so much harder than even the physical part (which is very hard as well).

I think having the surgery and losing this weight brought me back to myself. I, too, wasn't LIVING. I was watching life go by, going through the motions. I had lost my sassiness, my go-getter-ness because I was fat, and uncomfortable and tired and had no energy. Now I am living again, enjoying doing things, exercising, making my body a STRONGER machine. I feel like I can do anything I choose to put my mind to now because my body won't hinder me.

But I have to put my mind to it. So my mind still plays a part, it's just that the body won't stop me now. So working on your mind and dealing with other issues I think you will have more of a desire to do when you feel better in your physical body.

I have had to keep myself grounded, though, because sometimes I start to feel a little too good about myself and I don't want to jeopardize my relationships because of it. (I have heard of relationship problems after losing the weight). I remind myself that my body is the vessel and tool I use to live the best life I can and that best life includes the people most important to me, my husband and my children.

You certainly will feel a sense of accomplishment and that, I think, will give you the determination to keep working on the other things in your life that need to be figured out. It is not magic fairy dust that life will be perfect, but it definitely puts you on course for positive things!

Good luck!

Has anyone noticed that after having successfully had surgery and lost weight, that you have had a better outlook on life? Has it changed your personality

My confidence is through the roof! I no longer hide in a corner at a meeting. I hold my head up high. I am loving life and loving myself. Everyone has seen the change in me (for the good of course). My personality is as it what (I've always had a great one) however, I do find I am twice as outgoing. I'm not afraid to shake my booty on the dance floor or say something to become center of attention.

It's great. I never thought I'd be who I was meant to be.