Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coffee?

I work midnights and coffee is a must!! I don't drink nearly as much as I did before being sleeved (only 1 medium cup in an 8 hour shift) but I was told not to drink a lot of it bc it is a diuretic. But I can't do a full overnight shift without it!! Anyone further out know if there's any severe consequences of my need for coffee?? I don't drink it any other time, just when I'm working.!

coffee won't dehydrate you unless you are drinking about 8 cups in half a day. Coffee has about the same diuretic effect as Water does, and no one suggests we avoid water so as not to get dehydrated!

http://abcnews.go.co...=5552790&page=1

http://www.nytimes.c...4real.html?_r=0

Great! Thank you!!

I work midnights also. I have no problems with drinking coffee. However, there have been a couple of times where I did get a little jittery after drinking it.

My program says no coffee... and I cut down to zero slowly. I am now three months out and I do drink coffee (1/2 caff, 1/2 decaff). Oh well...

Same as Arts - My program says no coffee but I do drink it. Routinely I have the "half caf" or "split".

Typically I do not drink the entire coffee. There is a Protein coffee called Clik that is really good and I do drink that every morning (I am an early riser) so you might want to consider ordering some sample packs of it. I know people who drink it and add flavored Protein and froth it. I enjoy the vanilla Latte on its ow

The worst part of coffee is not the caffeine, it's the acid. Reflux is a present enemy of sleevers and too much coffee can aggravate it. What I've read says that the Water in coffee cancels out the diuretic effect of the caffeine. It doesn't hydrate you but doesn't dehydrate you either.

As we know, coffee has health benefits as well. A google search will yield the pertinent information.

My wife thinks coffee is a wonder drug. It makes her husband worth talking to in the morning. :angry:

I'm 16 months post op and I work nights. I don't drink it at work but I do need a cup for my 50 mile drive home. No issues drinking it, but I try to keep it healthy by using stevia and skim milk rather than Splenda and the old powdered Creamer.< /p>

any severe consequences of my need for coffee??

Jessicaz

my NUT told me i could have one cup of coffee a day :)

its really weird though

i always loved the smell of coffee (I would make it sometimes for DH)

but i never drank much

post sleeve - i find that i do have that cup

since its nice and hot - it gives my "little" tummy a good feeling :)

i drink plenty of Water later - and as mentioned coffee not a diuretic

I reread your post - and i see B) you are allowed to drink it, just don't overdue

i think thats good advice to follow

if we don't listen to our NUT - OMG i shutter to think what could happen to us :lol: :lol:

good luck newbie :)

kathy

I drink 1-2 cups daily! I'm almost a year out and never had a problem. I add muscle milk for flavor and a little Protein. I'm like you.....can't live without it! :P

The worst part of coffee is not the caffeine' date=' it's the acid. Reflux is a present enemy of sleevers and too much coffee can aggravate it. What I've read says that the Water in coffee cancels out the diuretic effect of the caffeine. It doesn't hydrate you but doesn't dehydrate you either.

As we know, coffee has health benefits as well. A google search will yield the pertinent information.

My wife thinks coffee is a wonder drug. It makes her husband worth talking to in the morning. :angry:[/quote']

Thanks for the info. I drank coffee after being sleeved (cut it down to 1 cup/day) and around 6 months when I stopped the prescribed meds. I could no longer drink coffee with out it hurting/ burning my stomach. I eventually put two and two together and came to the same conclusion. I now Water down my coffee to almost tea like and I steer clear of Starbucks or Peers, as one sip will already make my stomach burn!