Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

EPIC FAIL ON THE PRE-OP DIET!

I've been on my pre-op diet for almost 2 weeks now. I was doing really good the first week and then my birthday came and I asked if I could have a last ditch meal. I had a gyro....OMG! I was DELISH! So delish I had another one on Friday. Yesterday I did pretty good. I only ate broth, Jello, and sf popsicles. Today....OH WHY....I had a piece of a big mac!! My surgery is Wednesday....WHAT AM I DOING??

Try not to fall into the last meal syndrome. You will eat those foods again, just in smaller moderations. You don't want them to go in and then close you up because your liver didn't shrink enough. Hopefully it's not enough to hurt anything but please be careful!

Good luck Wednesday! you are almost there!

I've been on my pre-op diet for almost 2 weeks now. I was doing really good the first week and then my birthday came and I asked if I could have a last ditch meal. I had a gyro....OMG! I was DELISH! So delish I had another one on Friday. Yesterday I did pretty good. I only ate broth' date=' Jello, and sf popsicles. Today....OH WHY....I had a piece of a big mac!! My surgery is Wednesday....WHAT AM I DOING??[/quote']

Be honest with your doc about what is going on. Maybe look into addressing why you are sabotaging yourself. I have been seeing a therapist for this very reason.

I had a horrible time with the pre-op diet. I made it "clean" the last four days pre-surgery (and it about killed me). I know that some believes this bodes poorly for after surgery. All I can tell you is that post-surgery, I haven't struggled at all. Just don't feel like eating. Especially crap. GOOD LUCK! You can do it - climb back on the horse!

I cheated a few times too. Start fresh now!! I was really good the last few days!! Two weeks tomorrow and no problems. It's weird how after surgery food doesn't look very good anymore. Sometimes my head says hmm a pizza sounds good then I realize that I really doesn't. I have asked my hubby to go out to certain restaurants for something I think I am craving then 10 min. later I change my mind!!

I think many people blow it a couple of times on the pre-op diet. I know I did. I had McDonald's one time and a whole package of cheese sticks dunked in ranch dressing the next day. For me, i think I was tripping out because my good friend food and I were parting company. Just stop now since you have so few days left before surgery. Trust me, you will not care about any of those foods soon enough. I used to love a gyro...now the thought of one makes me queasy. I'm one month out. I've lost 25 pounds from preop til now. I mourned food for the first week. Feel much better in my head now. I'm all thrilled if I can eat a whole cup of yogurt. It's nice to not have to worry about food constantly.

Just try and remember why you want this so bad. Lord know I remember how hard it was for me. I had to do 4 weeks pre-op, but it really prepared me for after surgery. Wishing you the best

Today was it!! I have to fight back. I keep telling myself this is what got you to where you are!! Thanks ladies for the encouraging words...it really helps to know I'm NOT alone!! I'm starting FRESH for the next few days...I CAN DO THIS!!

I had to do an 8 day pre-op liquid diet. The first few days were really rough for me and I broke down and ate a can of green Beans only two days in. Then I talked to my dietician and she said I could eat yogurt and no sugar added applesauce. Check with your dietician to see if you can eat something when those cravings attack. It's no burger but it does the trick. Good luck with your surgery and God Bless!

This is my personal opinion, but if you fail on a 2 week pre op diet you're gonna fail with your sleeve. I'm sorry, but it's just reality.

Talk about a tough pre-op diet, I was on a liquid ONLY diet for 28 whole days before my surgery. The only thing I ate for an entire 28 days were two Protein Shakes per day, Water, one coffee cup of chicken or beef broth and one cup of sugar free Jello per day. THAT'S IT. I literally thought I was going to go crazy the first week. I didn't cheat even once. Not a single crumb of solid food for almost one full month. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. After that 28 days I lost a staggering 49 lbs, the most my surgeon had ever seen on a pre-op diet. I had to continue that diet for 7 days post op so when it was all said and done I didn't eat a single crumb of solid food for 35 days straight. The first bite I had post op (a spoon full of low fat cottage cheese) was the best thing I ever ate!

I don't believe you are destined to fail if you cheat on pre-op but you need to remember why you are doing this. This is preparing your body for MAJOR surgery and your liver has to be small for surgeons to work around. When you fail at pre-op you are only letting down yourself by not only giving into your food addiction but increasing your risk of complications during surgery! I did an entire week of binging before my pre-op as my "goodbye" to my favorite foods but the day I started my liquids I had to stick because you HAVE to put yourself first. Be honest with your surgeon because if you aren't you may be in serious trouble.

This is my personal opinion, but if you fail on a 2 week pre op diet you're gonna fail with your sleeve. I'm sorry, but it's just reality.

Thanks for YOUR opinion but FAILURE is NOT an option for me!! I cheated...WOW! I didn't binge and I got myself back on track. I celebrated my birthday and I can't take that back...NEVER will FAILURE be acceptable in my book

I joined this site a few months ago and often become turned off by the negative discouraging comments made by other. I agree we should be following the dr order as given but if someone falls off the diet berating them doesn't help. Pre and post sleeve is constant work and can be achieved dispute the progress. Some of us progress slower than others which is fine. Just remember to be honest with your team about you eating habits.

Mentally I thought I was ready for the surgery as I did the preop and everything to the letter. Although I was told what eating would be like after surgery my mind was not ready. In short you can still be successful with a sub par pre op, the real work begins after you are sleeved. Afterward many things change including your sense of taste, smell and more. You will crave the things that you once loved but they won't taste the same nor be accepted in your body the same.

Preop is about shrinking your liver so talk t your to and get there opinion first.

That's really rude to say, you don't know if she is gonna fail, everyone has their weaknesses and everyone has their strengths to flat out say someone is gonna fail is rude.