Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

the chest PAIN attack is back once again - wrong speed or bite size?

am still in the soft food phase (3rd week post op) and this happened to me now around 4-5 times, this how it happens: i am eating normally 1st bite, the 2nd normal and then on the 3rd something goes wrong. pain start in the mid chest and keeps increasing till it is unbearable that I keep walking around in circles. i start sweating like crazy as pain keeps increasing. i feel the urge to burp but i am not able to. this remains for around 20 to 30 minutes while which you feel you are going to die until a small burp out, and then another and another. and i keep burping like this for about 15 min as the pain goes 20 minutes later i am fine again.

my question is: what is this? what is it due to ? speed bite size ? i feel i always eat with the same speed but ! how can i avoid it ? and most important is when it does happen what can you do to fix it quickly instead of jumping like crazy allover the place (specially if you are out with people !!)

am still in the soft food phase (3rd week post op) and this happened to me now around 4-5 times' date=' this how it happens: i am eating normally 1st bite, the 2nd normal and then on the 3rd something goes wrong. pain start in the mid chest and keeps increasing till it is unbearable that I keep walking around in circles. i start sweating like crazy as pain keeps increasing. i feel the urge to burp but i am not able to. this remains for around 20 to 30 minutes while which you feel you are going to die until a small burp out, and then another and another. and i keep burping like this for about 15 min as the pain goes 20 minutes later i am fine again.

my question is: what is this? what is it due to ? speed bite size ? i feel i always eat with the same speed but ! how can i avoid it ? and most important is when it does happen what can you do to fix it quickly instead of jumping like crazy allover the place (specially if you are out with people !!)[/quote']

My NUT told us to eat with a baby spoon because if you don't you could take too big of a bite and that it's super painful. So maybe try that and also waiting 1 to 2 kin in between bites. Supposed to take 30min to eat 2 to 3oz. Again...advice from my NUT. Hope you feel better.

I am 3 weeks post op and in the soft food stage. I also had the same problem of pain in the chest whilst eating. I now use a teaspoon to eat and I wait 5 mins between each bite and I'm ok with that. I suppose u just have to try different things till u get to something your body can handle. Good luck.

My NUT told us to eat with a baby spoon because if you don't you could take too big of a bite and that it's super painful. So maybe try that and also waiting 1 to 2 kin in between bites. Supposed to take 30min to eat 2 to 3oz. Again...advice from my NUT. Hope you feel better.

Yep, my NUT basically told me the same thing. I do have chest pain if I gobble down my food too fast or don't chew it enough but it only took a couple times of that to happen for me to S.L.O.W. down & chew, chew, chew.

What is "NUT" . I'm new to all this

Nutritionist

Is it a sqeezy pain? If so can also mean your sleeve does not like it. My last idea would be are you on heart burn medication? The sleeve tends to bring it out if not may need to get some.

I had the same experience yesterday during my first purée meal. I was so excited to have my fat-free refried Beans, cheddar, guac & Greek yogurt...I think I ate too much too fast although it was easily under a 1/4 cup. I got what felt like excruciating heartburn and that feeling that my chest and throat were tight. I was so overexcited that even though I thought I was eating slow enough, I clearly wasn't.

I'm currently nomming on some homemade egg salad, and have taken 2 tablespoons only, and it's taken me about 45 minutes to eat it...I've been waiting about 5 minutes in between bites, and everything is going down fine. :) Just needed to slow down and eat smaller portions!

all of the above, too big a bite, not chewing well enough, bites too close together and even the type of food, some are tougher than others to tolerate- i can have shrimp and tuna but chicken is a no no. My nut said that a bite is the size of the eraser on a no. 2 pencil- i actually get away with something slightly bigger but not much.

good luck it is an awful feeling.

am still in the soft food phase (3rd week post op) and this happened to me now around 4-5 times, this how it happens: i am eating normally 1st bite, the 2nd normal and then on the 3rd something goes wrong. pain start in the mid chest and keeps increasing till it is unbearable that I keep walking around in circles. i start sweating like crazy as pain keeps increasing. i feel the urge to burp but i am not able to. this remains for around 20 to 30 minutes while which you feel you are going to die until a small burp out, and then another and another. and i keep burping like this for about 15 min as the pain goes 20 minutes later i am fine again.

my question is: what is this? what is it due to ? speed bite size ? i feel i always eat with the same speed but ! how can i avoid it ? and most important is when it does happen what can you do to fix it quickly instead of jumping like crazy allover the place (specially if you are out with people !!)

You're eating too big of bites and/or eating too fast. Eat half a bite instead of a full bite and wait a few minutes before the next one. You might be more swollen than others and have to go slower. When I was in mushies/soft foods, a half a cup of cottage cheese took 20-30 minutes to eat and I chewed it.

ETA: I generally did not finish the full 1/2 c of cottage cheese until maybe week 4. I had two weeks of full liquids and 2 weeks of mushies and then I could eat everything. I stuck with the mushie/soft stuff until about week 6. By week 10 everything gelled and I had faster movement through the sleeve and better capacity. It is a learning curve, just remember slow and small at first for everything, including your liquids.< /p>