Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I live with The Food ****!

My hubby is definitely a food ****i. The 1st 4 weeks of liquids almost killed me (made it to week 2 after my lapband almost 4 yrs ago before cheating. This time I didn't cheat cuz now I'm married. Was single follwing my band) cuz I had my husband watching everything I put in my mouth. I knew he's tattle on me to my dr at my post op visit at 4 weeks. Now that I'm 7 weeks out and eating just about normally again, he reminds me of everything that goes past my lips how many carbs r in it.

He's a carb fantatic. Lost 80 lbs on his own version of Atkins (his own version meaning almost NO carbs, instead of low carbs) a few years back and he swears ketosis is the ONLY way to weightloss. It's hard to argue with someone who's lost 80 lbs but I look at the science in it, not just the results.

I had wls so I wouldn't have to count every calorie that went into my mouth. Now I have someone counting my carbs for me. I've bounced back and forth between 156 and 157 for the past 2 weeks (lost 18 lbs the first 5 weeks, starting at 174 I don't think thats too too bad) and I hear everyday it's because I eat more than 10 gms of carbs a day. Over 10 and ur out of ketosis. Wow. 10 gms is NUTHIN. I mean NUTHIN. He doesn't understand that I can only eat a few bites at a time and that I NEED carbs to function. Carbs are the enemy.

Anyone else live with a food ****? I went out to lunch with a friend yesterday and ordered fried clams. yes, I know, not the healthiest choice. I ate about 1/4 of the lunch amount and brought the rest home. Heated them up last nite and proceeded to eat about another 1/4 of them. I heard "All you eat is deep fried and breaded crap. That can't be healthy." hello. What besides this has been breaded and deep fried? Before surgery I ate alot of fast food fried crap but this has been the only fried food I've eaten. Guess I could've gone with the grilled fish (went to a seafood restaurant) but the fried clams sounded so yummy (btw, clams don't do well being reheated. They get even rubbery-er) and since I only ate a few I figured it was worth the splurge.

I'm happy he's so supportive, really. Tells me constantly how proud he is of me and calls me "Skinny Minnie" all the time. But I can't stand the constant reminders of how many carbs r in 1 oz of yellow cheese (1 gm, btw) vs 1 oz of white cheese (0 gms). Anyone else?

Edited by *susan*
Removed offensive word.

I hate when my husband makes statements like that. If I do something once, I always do it according to him. I have learned to tune him out.

I'd seriously tell him to suck it. If he did it again, I'd punch him in the junk.

I'm a grown woman and I make my own (sometimes bad) decisions. That would make me really mad and when someone tells me NOT to do something, I tend to do it. Twice. My husband has learned the hard way that his input is not only not necessary, but not welcomed unless I ask for it.

If he's trying to help, there are gentler ways of being supportive. My husband knows better than to say anything to me about what's going in my mouth. ;)

I'd seriously tell him to suck it. If he did it again, I'd punch him in the junk.

LipstickLady, you always crack me up!!

I think the grass is always greener; my hubby not only isn't the food Nazi, he is an enabler of the highest order! If I asked him to go out and get me deep fried twinkies, the man would go in search of them even if he had to drive across three states! I love him for spoiling me, but in some cases it can actually be bad! I do wonder what it would be like if he were to say 'are you sure you want to eat that?'. I have NO accountability except my own, and that can be tough too.

I would kindly tell him" honey, you have lost 80 pounds and I have lost 92, I think I know what I am doing, and my love, I feel your caring when you make comments about the carbs, but each one of us is different. I am not you and you are not me internally. My food needs are different than yours. Please it makes me feel ...(you fill in the words how it makes you feel).Please resist from making comments about my choices in food, I hear your concern and love,when you do it, but it is irritating me." Then if he doesnt stop you will have to escalate.your tone.Sometimes men are so about what they want to say they do not hear us women. Sorry guys but it is true.

I would kindly tell him" honey, you have lost 80 pounds and I have lost 92, I think I know what I am doing, and my love, I feel your caring when you make comments about the carbs, but each one of us is different. I am not you and you are not me internally. My food needs are different than yours. Please it makes me feel ...(you fill in the words how it makes you feel).Please resist from making comments about my choices in food, I hear your concern and love,when you do it, but it is irritating me." Then if he doesnt stop you will have to escalate.your tone.Sometimes men are so about what they want to say they do not hear us women. Sorry guys but it is true.

And then you punch him in the junk.

LMAO

It seems like you've done a great job and maybe there is a gentle way to have him back the heck off...and if that doesn't work, Lipstick Lady has offered an alternative! LOL good luck!

My hubby is definitely a food ****. The 1st 4 weeks of liquids almost killed me (made it to week 2 after my lapband almost 4 yrs ago before cheating. This time I didn't cheat cuz now I'm married. Was single follwing my band) cuz I had my husband watching everything I put in my mouth. I knew he's tattle on me to my dr at my post op visit at 4 weeks. Now that I'm 7 weeks out and eating just about normally again' date=' he reminds me of everything that goes past my lips how many carbs r in it.

He's a carb fantatic. Lost 80 lbs on his own version of Atkins (his own version meaning almost NO carbs, instead of low carbs) a few years back and he swears ketosis is the ONLY way to weightloss. It's hard to argue with someone who's lost 80 lbs but I look at the science in it, not just the results.

I had wls so I wouldn't have to count every calorie that went into my mouth. Now I have someone counting my carbs for me. I've bounced back and forth between 156 and 157 for the past 2 weeks (lost 18 lbs the first 5 weeks, starting at 174 I don't think thats too too bad) and I hear everyday it's because I eat more than 10 gms of carbs a day. Over 10 and ur out of ketosis. Wow. 10 gms is NUTHIN. I mean NUTHIN. He doesn't understand that I can only eat a few bites at a time and that I NEED carbs to function. Carbs are the enemy.

Anyone else live with a food ****? I went out to lunch with a friend yesterday and ordered fried clams. yes, I know, not the healthiest choice. I ate about 1/4 of the lunch amount and brought the rest home. Heated them up last nite and proceeded to eat about another 1/4 of them. I heard "All you eat is deep fried and breaded crap. That can't be healthy." hello. What besides this has been breaded and deep fried? Before surgery I ate alot of fast food fried crap but this has been the only fried food I've eaten. Guess I could've gone with the grilled fish (went to a seafood restaurant) but the fried clams sounded so yummy (btw, clams don't do well being reheated. They get even rubbery-er) and since I only ate a few I figured it was worth the splurge.

I'm happy he's so supportive, really. Tells me constantly how proud he is of me and calls me "Skinny Minnie" all the time. But I can't stand the constant reminders of how many carbs r in 1 oz of yellow cheese (1 gm, btw) vs 1 oz of white cheese (0 gms). Anyone else?[/quote']

I have lost 153 since surgery, eating 800-1000 cals, 80-100 grams Protein and 60-80 carbs a day. Lost the weight in 7 months and have kept it off 1 year and 10 months. Eat some healthy carbs (no flour) you need then to metabolize the l

Protein.< /p>

And I was in ketosis with that many carbs.

I think I have managed all right

post-8431-138136693576_thumb.jpg

Edited by *susan*
Removed offensive word.

Oh Gawd! My mother is the food ****. Thank god i dont live with her. She is always looking at every single flipping package of whatever i am eating at her house and saying "oh my god heather..this food has ---- many grams per serving. Even when she orders pizza and cake for someones birthday. This coming from the lady who drinks green smoothies in the morning and salads with egg on top but comes home from work and eats Hawkins Cheesies and licks the icing off of the cake board and knife! Oh and lets not forget the Cookies downstairs that she eats before bed..

Edited by *susan*
Removed offensive word.

He's right that low-carb is a great way to lose weight, but he's oh so wrong for trying to impose it on you. You need to internalize your own set of controls on what you eat and the way you eat it. If you have an external critic, then it will lead you to having one set of behaviors around him, and another when you are not with him. If you're not careful, you might end up eating things you shouldn't when you're not around him, just to exert some control over your life.

You need to get him to stop this now.

I'm a big fan of the Atkins diet, I was on the Atkins diet for 13 years. It's great that it worked for him, but he has some strange ideas about it. On Atkins, you only need the very low carb levels for the first few weeks. After that you can get around 50 grams of carbs per day and still lose weight just fine.

If you can I encourage you to follow a low-carb lifestyle. I really think it's great. But it has to be your decision. Your husband needs to understand that your journey will be different than yours and that by trying to be the food police, he will be undermining your efforts.

And when I say he needs to understand that, I'm saying that it's up to you to get him to understand. Hopefully in ways less drastic than suggested by some, but he does need to know that he needs to back off. And that doesn't just apply to saying things to you, but to even thinking that you are going to undermine yourself. Think about it like he's a carpenter and his hammer is low-carb and he thinks that can be used to solve any problem.

Oh Gawd! My mother is the food ****. Thank god i dont live with her. She is always looking at every single flipping package of whatever i am eating at her house and saying "oh my god heather..this food has ---- many grams per serving. Even when she orders pizza and cake for someones birthday. This coming from the lady who drinks green smoothies in the morning and salads with egg on top but comes home from work and eats Hawkins Cheesies and licks the icing off of the cake board and knife! Oh and lets not forget the Cookies downstairs that she eats before bed..

I hate your Mom. (No disrespect intended!) :P

Edited by *susan*
Removed offensive word.

LipstickLady gets the prize! Junk-punching does get the point across quickly. Always a good move to hold in reserve :)