Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. John Long in Houston?

I am shopping for plastic surgeons and went to see Dr. John Long in the Medical Center of Houston. Anyone know him or have used him?

My wife used Dr. Long for breast reduction and Lipo. She has just started the process for her Tummy Tuck and breast augmentation with him. We saw 2 other PS and felt most comfortable with Dr. Long. Her reduction was about 15 months ago and the lipo was about 7 months ago.

He told her that, if the insurance company was to pay for the reduction, she should have it done before she lost too much breast tissue that they would not pay. We absolutely loved the job he did on her breasts. But, she has lost more weight and feels they need to be lifted a bit. He said he could do that, but may need an bit of a "filling" to get the fullness she is looking for. So, looks like implants.

The lipo was the greatest thing she has done. Her clothes fit so MUCH better. But, she still has the tummy skin/apron and wants that gone. Hopefully the insurance company will pay ... she has documented rashs with pictures and letters from 3 docs.

Dr. Long has spent a huge amount of time answering our questions and helping us both feel comfortable in the process.

How could you say no to a Dr. with a name like that?! LOL Imagine seeing his name on a list : Long, John poor guy

Thank you for your reply. My husband and I reeaallly liked him and thought he was sooo down to earth and straight forward with us. We spend well over an hour in my consult and thought he seemed like a good guy. Breast cancer runs thick in my family so implants were not something I really wanted to do but was willing if that's what it took to make them look youthful again. I will be 35 in a couple of weeks and have had saggy breast for ten years. At 24, your breast should look great but after my son was born, they seemed to just never bounce back like some women's breast do. I guess I chalked it up to bad genes, but my mom is in her 60's and still has great breast. Go figure. He said that is was not necessary because my breast tissue is still in great condition, its the skin that makes them sag so bad. He told me the risks of doing a lift and implants in the same surgery that no other doctors have even metioned, so I was thankful for that. He wants to do the reconstruction and tummy and arms all in one surgery, then if six months from then, I'm not happy with my breast, we'll do a small implant for more volume. He assures me that I will love them without the implants. I hope so!

I can relate to what you said about him telling you things no other doc did. We saw 2 others and Dr. Long was the most conservative in his suregery, but what he said made sense ... do too much and there is a high risk factor. The others wanted to do a tt, bl/ba, thighs and Lipo all at once. I have heard it done with great sucsess, but just not what we were looking for.

Her breasts were great until she lost more weight. She was so excited to wear a top with no bra for the first time in her life!!! Her volume decreased as she lost another 30+ lbs and he said he would lift her again and put in a small implant to bring the fullness back. I told him we did not want a Pam Anderson look ... he was great in saying "If we did that, she would look too heavy and she has worked too hard to loose the weight just to make her look big again." Again, just the right thing to say.

My wife is hoping for a March 9 date for tt and bl/ba with some minor lipo of the flank areas. When he redoes her breasts, he is going to continue a little farther up towards the arm pit and remove that "side fat". That fat is what really is bugging my wife.

We are in Sugar Land so it is not too bad of a drive to get to Park Plaza. It is well worth the trip to see Dr. Long, and let's not forget Dr. Spivak.

Hey Candice ... have you decided on a doctor? Gale at Dr. Long's office is working with the insurance company right now for Gini's tt. We are hoping for a March 9 surgery as our kids will be on spring break that following week. Hope things are moving along for you!

I have to be 18 months from lapband and it wont be 18 months until April. My other doctors are documenting skin rashes and that kind of stuff for me so I'll be ready to get started with the insurance company as soon as I can. I meet all the criteria already, but the anniversary thing. But to answer your question, I do feel very strongly about his ability and will deffinately use him when the insurance company says I can. I hope your wife's case moves right on through quickly. I got enough practice on how to fight the insurance company when I fought for lapband. About 10 months almost to the day. I would say it has paid off, I have gone from 294 the day of surgery to 153 this morning. Keep me posted on your wife's case. I may need some advise on how the insurance thing goes.

Do you have to be 18 months for the BR or only the TT? I was just banded this week and planned on looking into BR later this year in hopes of getting the insurance to pay. The TT will need to wait until I'm closer to goal so 1-2 yrs.

I'm also in Houston, does Dr Long have a website to view? My mom recommended going with a male doctor. She had her reduction done by a female and is unhappy with the way they look. Her opinion is that a man will have a greater 'appreciation' for the female breast and make it look better.

I really think you should wait to have any plastic surgery done until you are closer to goal. I am now down to 150 lbs at 5'5" from 294, and am very close to my 140-145 goal. I can tell you that my body has made changes I never thought would happen. My breast shrank with the last 15 lbs and actually look better than they did two months ago...so I believe that if I had already had something done, I would have to have it redone at some point. I just know that my sister-in-law had breast lift, implants and TT done all at once when she got down to 200 lbs and needs the TT done again after a 30 lb weight gain and loss. Any kind of weight fluctuation will effect the TT. Her breast didn't seem to change a lot when she put the weight on and then lost it again. I only want to go through that sugery one time!!!

The TT will definatley wait until I've been at goal for a while. The nurse at Dr.S's office suggested that since my breasts were so large that starting the reduction procedures soon after banding would be a good idea since insurance approval depends mainly on the volume of breast tissue not how 'saggy' they are.

Right now I pop out of my 44DD bra and they hang down my torso. After breastfeeding 3 kids I have had little hope that they will ever look good on their own again. After your response I wonder if it is possible, did yours come back from being extremely large or were you an average size before loosing the weight?

I was a 38 DDD when I started out at my highest weight and now I am a 34 DD or 36 DDD, depends on the bra. I have started to buy a little better quality bra from Nordstrom and they really do have better support but It's hard to say what actual size I am because of how much extra skin and how saggy they are. I just know that standing naked and looking down at myself, I could not see my nipples before.....as crazy as it seems, with the last 15 lbs, I can now see my nipples again.....which I really had no idea would happen. It's like they have rolled back up or something. Granted.......I don't like how low they are on my body, but I just know that even with these subtle changes happening to my breast, I want to make for absolute sure that I am at my goal before I pay any amount of money or pain to have them fixed. The surgeon told my sister-in-law that a fluctuation in weight like she had wouldn't make a difference, but it did. I think it really just depends on the person, age, quality of skin, and things like that. It really is a case by case basis.

Hi ... just wanted to tell you guys that Dr. Long did my wifes tt, Lipo and BA on Fri. She is in some pain (it looks like a lot, but she says 'some'). It seems that her main issue is exactly what we have heard before ... it feels like you have done ten thounsand sit-ups ... muscles very tight and hard to move. He also did some lipo to try to get rid of her "side boobs", around her under arsms, hips and thighs. When I saw him after the surgery he said that everything went great and he was very happy with the sculpting job they were able to attain.

They remloved more than 7 lbs from her stomach and another 2 litters of fat from lipo. He used the silicon breast implants as they are more natural. We have not seen the results without the binder, but I was able to tell her "you have no tummy" ... not sure if that is any consulation at this point in the game, but it will be.

We have heard from others on the boards that Dr. Long is who Spivak suggests. So the last time she went for a fill she asked them (of course this was after she had already had the br and lipo). Brenda said "It is not that we recommend him, it is just that we know his work and tell others about it." Not sure if that is "recommending him" ... but if Dr. Spivak is willing to say anything positive about another doc, I think that carries a lot of weight as we have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Spivak.

Anyway ... my wife had a br and MAJOR lipo from Dr. Long (2 different surgeries) and we both really like him. It appears that he has done another GREAT job with her tt. Also, we really like Dr. Long's nurse Gail ... she is a hoot in person.

Good luck:clap2:

I am so excited. Dr. Long's office went ahead and sent in my file to the insurance company for predetermination and I got my approval letter today. I am having TT,Breast lift and my arms done on April 27th. I can't believe I was approved so easily. It took for ever when I was trying to get approved for the lapband. I won't be 18 months out until April 12th, but I will be by the date of my surgery. I was so excited, I was shaking in my shoes. I have called all my family and friends who have supported me and told them and they are excited too!!!!!