Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling awful every time I eat

I'm just over a month out. Every time I eat, I get nauseous, my heart starts pounding and I feel like I'm going to pass out. After about 30 minutes or so, it goes away. I just feel so terrible. I just had Soup and I'm trying not to fall out, again. As an aside, I am severely anemic post surgery. I I exert myself or get hot, I have similar symptoms. So, I'm wondering, is it all anemia related or have others had this with eating post op?

Thanks,

Elaine

While the two very well could be related, this is something I would be calling my doctor about!! Ongoing pain, nausea, etc. is nothing to mess with - consult with your doctor, please!

First, yes, I think you should consult your Dr.

Have you figured out if you have any new food intolerances? I know for a fact that many of us do and the first couple of times we try something, well it isn't pretty. Also, it could be the speed in which you're eating and the amount.

No matter how slow I think I'm eating, unless I time myself it is faster than I thought. Same goes for amounts when I'm not really watching what I eat. Not that much goes down, but sometimes it is more than I thought.

Best wishes and let us know what happens with this.

how many carbs is what you are having? also of the carbs, what is the sugar content?

Thanks for the replies. I am sure I am eating too fast. That's a good point. As to the carbs/sugar, interestingly, the more carb and white it is, the better it goes down. Saltines settle well. At my son's 5th birthday I found out Rice Krispie treats do too. I also ate a cucumber and cream cheese sandwich on pepperidge farm very thin white (1/2) with no trouble at all. meats cause trouble, any Soup but broth does (fat?), dairy and whey are both on the do not eat list. I did OK for a couple of weeks, then had 2 really bad weeks, 2-3 decent days (but poor choices, white processed carbs), now 3 awful days. Im starting to dread eating and find my calorie count going down along with Protein. If I could, I'd drink unsweet tea and eat saltines and never eat anything else.

I do need to go back to the surgeon, but I feel a little helpless there too. When I told them about the whey intolerance, consisting of stomach pain, terrible nausea even with anti-emetics, plus diarrhea, they just told me to suck it up. I quit following their suggestions at that time, simply for self preservation. I can't imagine they are going to be much help. My PCP is awesome and supportive, but his knowledge about VSG and our eating problems/requirements is very limited. I'm his first patient with this procedure.

Thanks again guys. Just talking to people who are going through his makes me feel better.

I am just over 7 weeks post op and have started having similar problems. I have had problems drinking Water since the surgery which is awful because I loved water! I can drink thicker liquids....protein shakes, smoothies, coffee with creamer....and tolerate all well, but Water has always been really bad! Then a few days ago I started getting that same terrible feeling with anything I swallow. It's not painful, I just feel nausea all the time. Saltines with Peanut Butter settle it for a bit, but it comes right back!

I too experience dizziness, racing pulse, sweating, and just a terrible feeling after eating or drinking anything with sugar or higher carb content such as fruit. I made the mistake of drinking a Protein shake one day that was not sugar free and thought I was going to pass out.

I have only been eating saltines and Decaf coffee for about 3 or 4 days, so naturally my weight loss has stalled! Seeing my primary care dr. tomorrow for her advice.

I feel like this when I eat too fast, too much, or something difficult to digest. Soup with chunks hurts because of the liquid with solid food. Hopefully that's what's causing you discomfort.

Sushan, let me

Know what your doctor says. Your symptoms sound similar, but it's not just with sugar or carbs for me.

I feel like this when I eat too fast' date=' too much, or something difficult to digest. Soup with chunks hurts because of the liquid with solid food. Hopefully that's what's causing you discomfort.[/quote']

It feels like I have eaten too much, too fast, even when it's a bite or 2. I take a bite and feel like its stuck in my chest. I get these super loud hiccup/burps often. It sounds like I'm an old drunk!! I wanted restriction and I sure got it. I guess I just want to be able to eat something besides crackers without feeling like a dog. I wish I could do the shakes, because I almost feel like I need to be on liquids again. BUT, the Protein shakes make me feel like I'm dying. Maybe chicken broth for a day or 2.

I have had luck known of this has happen to me.but I stick to the regular chicken, tuna, cheese,protein,water,cottage cheese & yogurt. and when I notice that my stomach doesn't agree with something new I stop and try to avoid it.Talk to your Doctor stay on the safety zone with basics I have and haven't gotten sick.

I have not gotten sick since the hospital. I've been sticking to basics too. And eat very slowly. Are you on an antacid? When I skip a dose, I feel sort of queasy and cannot eat anything at all. food just sticks in my throat and I get all hiccups and burpy. I take Prilosec once, sometimes twice, daily. It helped me so much. Also, if you can't do whey, my nut suggested adding dry skim milk powder to everything you can to up the Protein count. It's not as many grams as a Protein Shake but it helps. And is not gross and constipating. :)

I am on omeperazole 40 mg. the powdered milk is a good idea, but I am now lactose intolerant too. I can't do milk. Cottage cheese is one Protein that goes down better. I just feel sore inside. It feels like a bite or 2 and it's trying to stretch my esophagus:). I'm sure that's not true, but that's what it feels like. I go to the surgeon next week, so we will see what he says. Thanks for the support.

I am on omeperazole 40 mg. the powdered milk is a good idea, but I am now lactose intolerant too. I can't do milk. Cottage cheese is one Protein that goes down better. I just feel sore inside. It feels like a bite or 2 and it's trying to stretch my esophagus:). I'm sure that's not true, but that's what it feels like. I go to the surgeon next week, so we will see what he says. Thanks for the support.

If you can't do whey you probably won't be able to do the powdered milk either. Milk is milk...dairy is dairy.

I would avoid that but maybe try a veggie or soy Protein. I still could not do those but it didn't hurt as much as the dairy ones.

I am on omeperazole 40 mg. the powdered milk is a good idea' date=' but I am now lactose intolerant too. I can't do milk. Cottage cheese is one Protein that goes down better. I just feel sore inside. It feels like a bite or 2 and it's trying to stretch my esophagus:). I'm sure that's not true, but that's what it feels like. I go to the surgeon next week, so we will see what he says. Thanks for the support.[/quote']

Take one or two lactaid pills. They really are helping me combat nausea after the shakes since I'm lactose intolerant too.

I do need to try the lactaid pills. That's a good idea. I have soy Protein and it was not awful. I'm thrilled with the weight loss, so don't get me wrong, I'm just worn out with the eating. I have no regrets and it probably needs to be this hard to forces to do a real break up with food. Between meals when I feel good, I still sometimes think about having a huge, fried meal! Just have to keep moving forward. Love this site and love you guys. I have gotten more help, support and information here than all other sources combined.