Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone having problems getting all the shakes in per day?

Absolutely. I'm only 6 1/2 weeks out and barely getting 1 whole 8oz shake in a day. They're really starting to gross me out. I'm only getting about 1/2 the my Protein requirements as is, so I really need 2 of em but can't seem to gag it down.

I think most people have problems with them, especially after starting real food. And they don't quench my hunger 1 bit.

My NUT suggested adding a scoop of powdered milk to shakes to double the Protein, I liked to add some PB2 to bulk it up. Which shakes are you using? I know the protein content varies drastically in different brands.

I could not do the shakes or anything containing milk products post-op. Still can't. My first few weeks was tough Protein wise.

However, now that I'm farther out, I have to eat enough foods to meet my requirements. It is tough but it can be done.

I did not like any of the powdered Protein Shakes that I tried and discovered I now have an intolerance for milk products post op. But the good news for me is that I actually found that I like the Premier Protein shakes. I get a case from Sams club and they last a few weeks. I have only tried the vanilla(plan to pick up the chocolate this week), but it is great. If you can find it, I would suggest trying it. I drink one a day (30 grams of protein) and then try to eat the rest of my Protein. If I feel like I still need a bit extra I will have half a shake at night before bed , so atleast I know I have gotten in 45+ grams a day (not including my meals).

I used to like some of the shakes, including the Premier Protein, but now they all gross me out. I have to choke them down. I'm just over 2 weeks out and starting cottage cheese, Icelandic and Greek yogurt, bean purees, and other sources of soft Protein to meet my minimums. I still choke down one shake in the morning. Blecchhhh!

Thank goodness I'm still doing okay with the shakes, but I really feel for you that just can't seem to stomach them. I take an EAS Protein Shake in the morning (14oz., 30g protein) and mix 1-1/2 scoops of ON 100% whey (36g protein) and 2 tablespoons crushed flaxseed (for Fiber, 3g protein). The good news is this Breakfast gets me 64g of Protein in and I don't mind a bit. The bad news is it is more calories than I want (460) so I will be looking for ways to reduce this over the next few days. But again, so sorry for you folks that struggle with the shakes!

I am 4 weeks post op and have not been able to stomach the shakes. I've tried every variety I can find and am not getting any Protein in at all.

Thank goodness I'm still doing okay with the shakes' date=' but I really feel for you that just can't seem to stomach them. I take an EAS Protein shake in the morning (14oz., 30g protein) and mix 1-1/2 scoops of ON 100% Whey (36g protein) and 2 tablespoons crushed flaxseed (for fiber, 3g protein). The good news is this breakfast gets me 64g of Protein in and I don't mind a bit. The bad news is it is more calories than I want (460) so I will be looking for ways to reduce this over the next few days. But again, so sorry for you folks that struggle with the shakes![/quote']

I was told by my dietician and have read in numerous things that the body can only absorb about 30g of protein at a time. The rest just gets flushed out. Anyone else hear this?

Thank goodness I'm still doing okay with the shakes, but I really feel for you that just can't seem to stomach them. I take an EAS Protein shake in the morning (14oz., 30g protein) and mix 1-1/2 scoops of ON 100% Whey (36g protein) and 2 tablespoons crushed flaxseed (for fiber, 3g protein). The good news is this breakfast gets me 64g of Protein in and I don't mind a bit. The bad news is it is more calories than I want (460) so I will be looking for ways to reduce this over the next few days. But again, so sorry for you folks that struggle with the shakes!

Maybe you can break your breakfast up into 2 meals at least 2-3 hours apart. The body can only absorb something like 30-35g of protein at one time...so your body is not absorbing all that protein.

Edit: just saw Coco beat me to that comment.

I was told by my dietician and have read in numerous things that the body can only absorb about 30g of Protein at a time. The rest just gets flushed out. Anyone else hear this?

I was told that. Same goes for Calcium. Which is why you have to space Vitamins apart. Our bodies can only absorb some things in small doses.

I drink the premier Protein shakes and they are somewhat tolerable. More then the others I've tried.

On another note: I made a shake yesterday. Skim plus, 1/2 banana, tbs Almond butter and a scoop of unflavored Protein. It was good except that I felt HORRIBLE afterward. Got the sweats felt nauseous and my stomach hurt. It lasted about 20 minutes. I am 4 weeks out today. What happened??? I've had this shake before and felt ok.... Ugh!

Thanks for the feedback folks! Will take [all] your advice about breaking up my Protein intake and report back in a couple of weeks. LOVE THESE FORUMS!