Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there a decaf coffeee that actually tastes rich and good?

I am used to really rich and tasty full bodied coffee. My surgeon has said no caffeine after surgery ever! I have to find a good full bodied coffee for life. Please help! Also please give suggestions for sugar free Creamers that taste really good.

There are a ton of SF Creamers and syrups on the market that are delicious - try them out until you find one (or several!) that you love!

As for decaf...can't help ya. My doc allows caffeine and coffee. Mmmm....

http://www.advancedw...iatric-surgery/

Caffeine after Bariatric Surgery We are often asked if caffeine consumption is appropriate after bariatric surgery. The answer, as with most dietary issues after weight loss surgery, is that moderation is the key to a successful post bariatric surgery lifestyle. If the patient is able to keep their consumption of caffeine at a reasonable level, it usually does not pose a significant issue to their post-surgical lifestyle.

http://www.webmd.com...myths-and-facts

Caffeine Myth No. 5: Caffeine Has a Dehydrating Effect

Caffeine can make you need to urinate. However, the Fluid you consume in caffeinated beverages tends to offset the effects of Fluid loss when you urinate. The bottom line is that although caffeine does act as a mild diuretic, studies show drinking caffeinated drinks in moderation doesn't actually cause dehydration.

Don't agree with your doc, obviously, but you will not be harmed by his advice.

I have never experienced a decent Decaf so I would be interested in the responses.

I don't know if it is only sold locally or not (i live in new orleans) but I like CDM Decaf and Community. Both have chicory which gives it that bold flavor.

I buy Tully's French Roast k-cups. Also, if you want something even stronger, Starbucks has a Decaf Espresso and a decaf Dark Roast. Thank God...I can still have an occasional "tall, skinny, DECAF, iced caramel macchiato...with a extra shot"!

I've only done coffee once post-op and it made me really thirsty (blame it on not enough Water that soon post-op). But I only do decafe (even pre-op)...

I love Starbucks Blonde and Mediums in decafe. If you like stronger you can go for the Dark in decafe. For some reason the decafes at Dunkin only taste good at Dunkin, the ones you buy in the store don't taste as good.

As an FYI, I've found when buying Starbucks, it is better to go to the actual shop and then have them grind a fresh bag (or half bag) for you. When I buy at a grocery store they don't taste as rich.

One word of advice, beware of the flavored decafes. Lots of them have added sugar to make the flavor. Check those labels.

I buy Tully's French Roast k-cups. Also, if you want something even stronger, Starbucks has a Decaf Espresso and a decaf Dark Roast. Thank God...I can still have an occasional "tall, skinny, DECAF, iced caramel macchiato...with a extra shot"!

I loved caramel pre-op. However, post-op, does the caramel add a lot of sugar to your daily dietary intake? I haven't tried it for fear the caramel will make me sick.

Starbucks has sugar free syrups. Usually vanilla and caramel but sometimes hazelnut.

I agree with gmanbat though. Caffeine doesn't harm you if you drink it in moderation. There are legitimate and important surgeons orders to follow and then there are superfluous "orders". It takes people a while to learn how to distinguish. But keep this in mind: surgeons do not practice medicine. They cut and sew for a living. Don't let the MD degree fool you into thinking they all know what is proper for your overall health and wellbeing. Many of them can be completely clueless.

Not sure if they even make a Decaf coffee that tastes as good as the real thing. I'm sure Starbucks is pretty close tho, especially the darker roasts. My dr allowed coffee from day 1 (didn't drink the stuff they gave me in the hospital however, it was NASTY) in moderation. he said no one ever died from drinking a cup or 2 of regular coffee.

If I haven't had a cup of real coffee by noon, I'm cranky pants. My husband will notice and beg for me to drink some coffee. I never get a headache from withdrawal tho, thank God.

Not sure how to answer this question. Every decaf I've tried (at a coffee shop at midnight and still wanting to sleep in an hour) wasn't good. Buy a premium coffee (lie Seattles Best or Starbucks) and give it a try. Wouldn't waste my money on Folgers or Yuban tho.

Oh, ran across the way they actually take the caffeine out of coffee. Its not with formaldehyde like once thought:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeination

I loved caramel pre-op. However, post-op, does the caramel add a lot of sugar to your daily dietary intake? I haven't tried it for fear the caramel will make me sick.

The caramel doesn't bother me at all. The Syrup they use is sugar free and they use skim milk in the "skinny" version. A tall is only 140 calories. Not too bad for an occasional treat...especially for a gal who was drinking a VENTI full version with an extra shot every day before surgery! :unsure:

Starbucks has sugar free syrups. Usually vanilla and caramel but sometimes hazelnut.

Ha! The big girl in me just came out...I know they have the sugar free syrups, that's what I get in my chai tea. I was thinking the actual caramel they put on top.

I guess you can get a caramel drink without the toppings! Flash back moment!!

Caffeine has been linked to Calcium being pulled from bone. I read this somewhere.

Community coffee is only sold around the La. area. I have mine shipped to me by my dad. I cannot have caffine after surgery for six months, so I plan on not having any coffee until then.

Ha! The big girl in me just came out...I know they have the sugar free syrups, that's what I get in my chai tea. I was thinking the actual caramel they put on top.

I guess you can get a caramel drink without the toppings! Flash back moment!!

Oh yeah lol they do have that delicious caramel topping. Definitely sugar-loaded. I don't go to starbucks often anymore thankfully. Too much temptation!

I have found that if I use my vanilla glucerna

instead of milk with my coffe it taste awesome

And I'm getting all nutrients and Protein I need

wile getting my coffe .

My doctor is ok with that .