Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WANT the Sleeve - but is it worth it for 60 lbs at age 60?

I started this topic and, thanks to all your wonderful posts, I took the plunge and was sleeved in Mexico 10-14-13. Best thing I've ever done for my health!

In not-quite-four-months, I've lost 51 lbs, with only 9 left to my goal. I wouldn't have believed it if someone had 'promised' me this would happen! And tho I love being thinner, wearing clothes I haven't fit in AGES, I'm thrilled that I am entering my older years without carrying around all that extra weight and the related health issues.

The sleeve definitely changes things. I'm seldom hungry and, when I am, I *want* Proteins & healthy foods. This former carb-addict doesn't miss carbs!! Yet if I do want bread or rice or a dessert, with the sleeve I can have it - but just a bite or spoonful removes the craving, so it's really the best of both worlds for me. My husband & I just returned from a week-long cruise and I enjoyed lots of delicious bites, but the foods were not my downfall as they used to be. Even better, I felt great snorkeling and climbing and riding a bobsled and even having my picture taken! LOL

I know this procedure isn't for everyone, but I'm certainly glad I learned about it and did it. No regrets.

Congratulations everyone of us 60 and up. I am 65 and was sleeved January 29th. I only have about 50 lbs to lose and am happy to be on the losing track. I have lost 16 lbs since surgery and I already feel better about my health. Blood pressure is at its lowest level since I started taking meds. Think I will be free of some of my meds really soon.

I think we are a powerful force in this world even in our 60s. Don't know about y'all but I plan on living the healthy life into my 100s! Powered to the silver foxes (us)!

This thread is such a blessing to me, I am only 5days post op & freaking out that I made a mistake. I am still on Clear liquids & guess I'm feeling scared.

Dee

This thread is such a blessing to me, I am only 5days post op & freaking out that I made a mistake. I am still on Clear Liquids & guess I'm feeling scared.

Dee

You won't be on clear liquids forever. Before you know it you will be able to eat anything you want. (and will have to say no again now and then!) don't forget to enjoy your life even now... you signed up for an adventure!

I was 62 when I had the surgery. Yes it is worth every gas pain, irritation about not being able to eat real food for weeks, having to buy new clothes, feeling strange in a new thinner body,and being healthier than I have been in years. I wish I had had this surgery when I was 20, but so glad I had it now. I love my sleeve and I love what it has done for me. As of today down 90 pounds. Why would you not? Find a great surgeon, realizeed the first month is going to be rough, and you will get through it. You are young at 60. If you do get a problem it is fixable. If you have a great Dr you will do well. I would tell everyone who is overweight to try the sleeve. It is a wonderful life changer.

I had the surgery September 2013 - 6 months ago at age 69. Will be 70 in May. I have lost about 50 lbs and 10 to go. Sooooo glad I did it! My BMI was 35.1 in Sept - now I just want to be in the healthy range. Best decision I've made in years! You're never too old, IMHO!

I WANT to do the sleeve, I've carried around excess pounds for 30 years, and I want to,be healthier as I grow older... but even tho I haven't lost the weight in all that time, I find myself saying "You should just watch what you eat and exercise more!" My husband thinks I'm crazy for considering this at this point in my life.

Would love to hear from Sleevers age 60+ and/or those who weren't over 35 BMI when they started. Is it worth it at my age, my size?

Are your stats wrong:

• Starting Weight: 212 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 57 lbs
  • Current Weight: 155 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 152 lbs
  • BMI: 24.3
  • If you weigh 155 and want to lose 3 lbs? No.
  • If your stats are wrong and you weigh 212, I weighed 220 and am 5'4". My thought is,

Seriously, are you kidding me? I am 67 and feel like a teenager again. I am shopping for cute clothes again (lol I am off my big butt and just shopping). My husband says woohoo 10 times more than he normally did when he sees me uh in my underwear. I just bought 2 new size 12 bathing suits after wearing the olden black one for 20 years. I am no longer dwelling on old age and bad health and dying, I am young again! Good luck all.

I WANT to do the sleeve, I've carried around excess pounds for 30 years, and I want to,be healthier as I grow older... but even tho I haven't lost the weight in all that time, I find myself saying "You should just watch what you eat and exercise more!" My husband thinks I'm crazy for considering this at this point in my life.

Would love to hear from Sleevers age 60+ and/or those who weren't over 35 BMI when they started. Is it worth it at my age, my size?

Are your stats wrong:

• Starting Weight: 212 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 57 lbs
  • Current Weight: 155 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 152 lbs
  • BMI: 24.3
  • If you weigh 155 and want to lose 3 lbs? No.
  • If your stats are wrong and you weigh 212, I weighed 220 and am 5'4". My thought is,

Seriously, are you kidding me? I am 67 and feel like a teenager again. I am shopping for cute clothes again (lol I am off my big butt and just shopping). My husband says woohoo 10 times more than he normally did when he sees me uh in my underwear. I just bought 2 new size 12 bathing suits after wearing the olden black one for 20 years. I am no longer dwelling on old age and bad health and dying, I am young again! Good luck all.

She had the surgery 6 months ago... old post....

Thanks, LindafromFlorida ~ Yes, that was my original post when I started this Topic. I'm now only 3 lbs from my original goal! And as I posted recently, I'm SO glad I did this, because I never would've gotten anywhere near my current weight without the sleeve! I feel healthy & slim & happy & energetic again.

I don't care if I ever reach that original goal, it's just a number. My greatest goal was to get my BMI to 24.9 or less -- in the Normal range -- and i've surpassed that now, so I'm feelin' Good!

As so many have said here, I wish I could've done it 30 years ago, but I'm glad I could do it now and be healthier in my 60's & beyond. One of the best decisions I've ever made!

(^.^)

Thanks, LindafromFlorida ~ Yes, that was my original post when I started this Topic. I'm now only 3 lbs from my original goal! And as I posted recently, I'm SO glad I did this, because I never would've gotten anywhere near my current weight without the sleeve! I feel healthy & slim & happy & energetic again.

I don't care if I ever reach that original goal, it's just a number. My greatest goal was to get my BMI to 24.9 or less -- in the Normal range -- and i've surpassed that now, so I'm feelin' Good!

As so many have said here, I wish I could've done it 30 years ago, but I'm glad I could do it now and be healthier in my 60's & beyond. One of the best decisions I've ever made!

(^.^)

That is so awesome! I feel the same way.

Thanks girls for correcting me. I am excited for each and everyone of us. I will take this saggy skin any day over the fatty I was. This surgery has truly changed the lives of me and my husband.

I am so glad I found this thread. I too am 60 with 85 lbs to lose. I have been jumping thru insurance hoops since December but finally have a date of May 7. I am looking forward to this life changing event!

My life is SO worth it! I can sure get around better without that 60 lbs. I was hauling!

I am so glad I found this thread. I too am 60 with 85 lbs to lose. I have been jumping thru insurance hoops since December but finally have a date of May 7. I am looking forward to this life changing event!

I am so glad I did it in January I only had 60 pounds to lose and I am 65. I have lost 32 pounds since January 29th. It is definitely a life changing experience

Hi TxCalico, I'm 60 and need to lose 70 Ibs... Having sleeve gastrectomy on June 22!! And YES!!! It's totally worth doing it at our age!! Think of how good you'll feel and how much healthier you'll be afterwards!! That's what motivates me to have this done (even at our age)