Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, my name is Nomie. I am 3 weeks.post-op tomorrow. My surgery was 8/7/2013. I am now on phase 3; where I am on soft foods. I was told to wait 30 (after drinking ) before eating my meal. I can't! Even when eating my mashed potatoes or my Greek yogurt...I need to take a drink of Water.

Another thing, I can't seem to drink the 64oz of liquid a day. What am I to do?

What do you mean by "can't"? Like the food gets caught in your throat if you don't drink the Water while eating, or psychologically it's too difficult? Both are legitimate things you can work through and correct, but it would help to know where the hurdle is. As for the 64 oz of water--you really just have to force yourself. I don't think I'll ever get used to it, but you just have to bite the bullet and do it. Try different temperatures, like cold, room temp or warm (hot tea is a good substitute). Try using flavorings like Dasani drops or SF Hawaiian punch packets or Crystal lite. It will really help you feel better and promote weight loss.

Hi' date=' my name is Nomie. I am 3 weeks.post-op tomorrow. My surgery was 8/7/2013. I am now on phase 3; where I am on soft foods. I was told to wait 30 (after drinking ) before eating my meal. I can't! Even when eating my mashed potatoes or my Greek yogurt...I need to take a drink of Water.

Another thing, I can't seem to drink the 64oz of liquid a day. What am I to do?[/quote']

You really are just making it harder on yourself by not waiting at least 30 minutes after eating to drink. The food just gets washed right through and you are hungry more quickly. Plus, you don't get all the nutrients from the food.

I am always thirsty after eating. But I learned to set my alarm on my phone for 30 min, and I find that the thirst passes. The alarm goes off and many times I forget to get up and get something to drink.

Agreed that it is hard to get the 64 oz of Water in the beginning, but you can do it without drinking with meals. Think of it as 2-12 oz glasses in the morning, 3-12 oz glasses in the afternoon: 2-12 oz glasses in the evening.

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing!

A bookI read before surgery explained that your new small stomach functions much like a toilet. Adding Water, or any Fluid, on top of the little food you can fit flushed it right down makingroom for more food because you no longer feel satisfied. I purposely try to drink a lot before my meal, and than I waiti 1 hour afterward for drinking. My dietician said this is the single most important habit to learn to keep weight off for life.

I agree, you have to force yourself to wait 30 minutes before drinking. We have to remember that we have to change our way of thinking. The unhealthy way we used to eat, must be thrown away. Be encouraged, you took the biggest step with surgery, now you have to WORK THAT THANG DIVA STYLE!!!!

I was also told by my surgeon's office that whether you have been drinking with meals is the 1st question they ask if you are regaining. Do what you can to break the habit.

Stop drinking and you will get used to it! I drank and drank liquids with my food before surgery and the thought of having to stop doing that was one of my biggest fears! I thought it was impossible but its not! I have no desire to drink and eat at the same time now.

My des office says liquid is liquid. Protein Drinks soup/broth Water unsweetened caffeine free tea. Diluted juice it all counts as liquid.

Thank-you to all who has shared their advice. I will keep trying. I had less than 1/2 an egg (soft) this morning and I felt as though it was stuck...but I waited the 30mins of discomfort before I took a drink. Hopefully I can get use to it and break the habit. Thanks again!

I'm 8 months out and I still haven't mastered this. I just can't seem to break the habit. I only drink about 4oz with my meal, but I think it could contribute to me not losing weight in months.

Reminder:

i am also very bad at this pre op i drank a lot of Water, and i am super thristy during all my meals (including soup). sometimes i feel like i cant keep eating if i dont take at least a sip, not because im full just because my mouth feels so pasty. if i really need to then i take the smallest sip possible and continue the meal. then i torture myself and dont drink for 1/2 and hour because i dont want to ruin anything. im hoping it will get easier.

My doctors office said to take a SIP of Water every two to three bites and then wait a half hour after to drink anything more. They said with the new stomach being so small and food will get stuck, the little bits of water will help. But that's not til soft foods and up. I'm still on liquids for three more weeks.

I actually am at the same stage and I am able to eat soft fruit. So what I do is eat my Protein and take a few bites of watermelon in between and I find it helps with dry mouth some what

Reminder:

Thanks! The visual aid helps a lot.