Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Evening Primrose Oil

Could you crush it or melt it in any way or if it is liquid in a capsule could you squeeze it onto a spoon to swallow it? Will losing weight help reduce your thyroid problems?

Much to my surprise, even with a 20 lb loss when I saw my PCP my dosage did get reduced. Wondering how low the dosage will go before its all over :). It was a pleasant, and unexpected surprise.

Interestingly even at a TSH of 1' date=' I lose hair. Not huge heaps like before meds, but slowly and consistently. The EPO stops it. I don't know why I lose it when the TSH is adjusted but I do. Weird.[/quote']

There's a lot of debate about appropriate levels for effective management of hypothyroidism, and sadly few general practitioners are skilful about it (at least in my lengthy Aussie experiences). In recent years acceptable TSH levels have been going down - there's quite a movement towards less than 1.0. I don't take much notice of TSH myself, preferring to follow my T3 and T4 directly. I know that - for me - although the 'normal range' of T4 is 10 - 20, I need to be pretty well smack in the middle (15 or 16). I'm on my knees at 11 and have palpitations over 17. I've had TSH results all over the place to keep me at those t4 levels.

We're all so "unique", and the normal ranges applies to the population as a whole - no one person swings across the full breadth of that range and feels ok.

There's a lot of debate about appropriate levels for effective management of hypothyroidism' date=' and sadly few general practitioners are skilful about it (at least in my lengthy Aussie experiences). In recent years acceptable TSH levels have been going down - there's quite a movement towards less than 1.0. I don't take much notice of TSH myself, preferring to follow my T3 and T4 directly. I know that - for me - although the 'normal range' of T4 is 10 - 20, I need to be pretty well smack in the middle (15 or 16). I'm on my knees at 11 and have palpitations over 17. I've had TSH results all over the place to keep me at those t4 levels.

We're all so "unique", and the normal ranges applies to the population as a whole - no one person swings across the full breadth of that range and feels ok.[/quote']

That's new information for me thank you! This is what I love about this forum. All of us are proactive about our health. I will have to better educate myself on my optimal t3 and t4s.

To your point, it took me five years to get a doc to prescribe meds to be because at 4.2, I was within their normal ranges. I had lost so much hair you could see near bald spots on my head. I finally printed out 4 journal articles documenting that "normal" was not, and demanded meds. When we have a condition, we honestly do get to the point where we know more than our GP might know about it for sure.

That is how I found out about EPO as well--by doing my own research. My docs perspective was that there was nothing to do but hope the Hair loss stopped.

Gamergirl, I have heard so many stories like yours re thyroid meds. Recently had a full on argument with my teenage son's GP re getting t3 and t4, not just TSH - my son has coeliac disease which is often associated with other autoimmune disorders like hypothyroidism and diabetes, any both males and females in our family have hypothyroidism with some going on to develop thyroid cancer. He is so likely to develop hypothyroidism in future that I wanted to get a baseline so I could help him start to work out his "correct" levels... But dr just point blank refused to order any test beyond the TSH. Needless to say we won't be going back there.

I joined Thyroid Australia which has fantastic information (all solid medical journal stuff) that can be printed out and shared with doctors. No doubt the US will have something similar.

After 30 years (my entire adult life), and with so many others in my family also affected, I've also had loads of opportunity to work out what T4 level (t4 is the most significant for most people) is "right" for me. It helps too that I'm not just asking for a high T4 level, but a specific narrower range than the population range. There are issues with taking too much thyroxine and I understand drs fear people might be just concerned about weight loss.

Good luck with it all.

Hey game girl how much EPO are you supposed to take?

Hey game girl how much EPO are you supposed to take?

I used to try to get 1200 mcgs. Worked like a charm.

Can you freeze the gel caps , cut in half or quarters? Take before they thaw?

Can you freeze the gel caps ' date=' cut in half or quarters? Take before they thaw?[/quote']

Oooh that's an interesting idea. Between that and the pin poke twinsmama suggested, I should be able to work something out. I also did order Coromega's fish oil with Vitamin D today. Maybe since it too has EFAs, that might help

I take it. It is huge. I also take garlic oil extract it prevents hair shedding. I am now losing half as much hair as I was. But I would ask ur dr. I think it may depend on how big ur sleeve is and ur bougie size. Mine was a bigger size. U don't want to get anything stuck.

I take it. It is huge. I also take garlic oil extract it prevents hair shedding. I am now losing half as much hair as I was. But I would ask ur dr. I think it may depend on how big ur sleeve is and ur bougie size. Mine was a bigger size. U don't want to get anything stuck.

You know how I solved that was I got 500 mg pills instead of the 1300 I was taking. The pills are nice and small and they go down easy, and I just take two instead of one and call it a day.

Im hypo. Too, and wasn't familiar with EPO. I'm 8 weeks out and expect to lose hair due to surgery and stent in ICU, and difficulties with Protein -- the surgery is worth the Hair loss but I dread it -- I already can fill a hairbrush in a couple of days.

Does nobody else take EPO? I'd have thought with as many underactive thyroid a as we have on here' date=' most of us would be on it.[/quote']

I take coconut oil for my under active thyroid.

I take coconut oil for my under active thyroid.

I've heard good things about Coconut oil, juice and milk generally, but I think the effect on thyroid function has been de-bunked by research. Which is not to say it shouldn't be taken, just not instead of thyroxine medication - not that you said you did that Sweetpee, but I've heard others say that.

GG, have you tried other Omega supplements besides EPO? Just curious. It seems to me that we are on such fat restricted diets, that we run the risk of impairing a lot of metabolic, hormonal, and brain functions (which I really want to hang onto!). I use fermented cod liver oil and coconut oil...

I've heard good things about Coconut oil, juice and milk generally, but I think the effect on thyroid function has been de-bunked by research. Which is not to say it shouldn't be taken, just not instead of thyroxine medication - not that you said you did that Sweetpee, but I've heard others say that.

My temperature was so low, and I stayed freezing cold all of the time. Coconut oil really helps me. :-) :-)