Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

warning:TMI - constipation

This is such a good thread for me today, it is a week since my last BM. I have been taking pear juice with Benefibre to no avail. My MIL has terrible Constipation and she has been told to try hot tea with a thick slice of lemon, also kiwi fruit. I am taking my tea now and have a kiwi fruit for after dinner! I also tried prune juice today but it is very high in calories. Some of the things you are talking about I don't think we have in Australia. The nearest costco to me is 1000 km away in Sydney, which is about a 12 hour drive.

Well, that DOES make things difficult. Please let us know if the kiwi fruit helps; I'd much rather have a natural solution than a chemical one (although the Aloe mentioned above may be more natural).

I hear ya, girl. Unfortunately you will probably find that constipation is an ongoing issue but from here on out you will be able to deal with it before it gets so bad again. My recommendation: Fiber supplement. Fiber supplement EVERY SINGLE DAMN DAY.

It's my only issue I suffer with 8ish months post op, it sounds like nothing to other people but not being able to go like you should is its only little slice of hell.

SO true, it is a hellish experience. The stomach cramps were fierce, and I am totally going to be taking fiber every day from now on to try to avoid a repeat experience!

Fibre is great to stop constipation but not to cure it once you have it. Stool softeners, enemas and laxatives if all else fails.. and of course Water, Water, water. Prunes and dried apricots are pretty good too - high in calories but if constipation is bad you'll be needing a good clear out to lose weight anyway.

I don't know all the products mentioned here but be aware that frequent use of laxatives WILL cause severe problems down the line. Senna is a laxative.

Try not to let constipation go on too long - as women (particularly post menopausal women) are v prone to developing rectocoeles (rectum bulging sideways into vagina and even up against bladder), and this is no end of trouble to address.

It was very painful, and if it does happen again I think I will try something much sooner. I was worried about impaction, but the rectoceles don't sound like fun either. *Sigh* Who knew we'd have to spend so much energy on trying to GO?!?

I'm thinking about getting a calonic done. Anybody ever tried it? Just to get a "clean start".

I'm going to ask my doctor about colonics. I used to get one about once every six weeks or so, would have done once a month if I could afford it. Note that you'll need to have more than one treatment...I needed about three, one a week, at first before I felt like it was helping me stay regular. Colonics are not fun, it's uncomfortable but not gross at all. The first time was a doozy but I did feel so much better, Got rid of the hard stuff that was blocking my path. :)

Thanks!

I know that Miralax is safe to take long term without causing problems. I have the opposite problem now, but I am preop. I plan to use a scoop of MiraLAX daily with my Protein from day 1.

I'll pass on the colonics; too many risks & not enough benefits for me.

Well the hot tea with lemon and kiwi, plus a long sitting seem to have worked their stuff today. I was starting to worry! Some of the stories on here are scary!

I had this same issue today! :'( I can barely sit down. From now on I'm using fiber supplements A.K.A Meta-Mucil and pureed fruits and veggies.

8/26/13 never forget.

Not looking forward to this as i have all of these issues now. Hemorrhoids ughhh and beibg constipated and then hurts so bad... i was hoping it woukd get better after surgery. I stay stocked up on suppositorys. Woyld like to know what aloelax is? Prune juice doesnt taste bad at all.

Aloelax is a combination of natural stimulants and softeners. I had pre-surgical poop issues which also came with hemorrhoids but had not anticipated a worsening. Don't let it go. If you haven't gone for three days take something. Prune juice was hard for me post surgery.

Thanks i am going to look for Aloelax.. can you buy it anywhere? Also that Activia sells greek yogurt now. I wonder if that will help. That brand is supp to help w digestive issues. My neice said it makes her go.

I get aloelax at the health food store. I don't know if its anywhere like Walmart . I know they cell aloe juice for drinking. Watch the sugar in the yogurt. Any one with active cultures should help but once you get backed up yogurt ain't gonna do it.

Thanks i am going to look for Aloelax.. can you buy it anywhere? Also that Activia sells greek yogurt now. I wonder if that will help. That brand is supp to help w digestive issues. My neice said it makes her go.

Lol ok. I was using benifiber in Water kinda like crystal light. That helped me alot. Gonna start taking that again and that shld help get in water plus Fiber. Gonna go to health food store.