Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

hi katrina welcome to lapband it's a great place with lovely people hopefully we will have another meet up soon and you'll be able to come along

Hi Trin,:)

Welcome,

You are nearly over the hardest part of the Lap Band , Optifast,

The surgery is nothing, and the recovery may be uncomfortabe.

But the best bit is to be able to drink something tastey .

Ray is a good doctor although for me he is not too chatty.

But Di more than makes up for him.

I couldn't agree with you more Mark! The Optifast really was the part of this process that I struggled with the most!

Although, I'm fighting an uphill battle right now. I desperately need another fill, I can eat WAY too much and I have been to the gym every day this week and slogged it out with not results on the scales. Ho hum. At least I only have to wait until next Wed (the 7th) for my next fill!

I wonder what time Susannah will get home today. I bet she's doing great!!

I think Susannah said that she is going to her sisters for a few weeks post-op so we may not hear from her until after that...

Thanks all for your words of encouragement. Mark, I know what you mean about Ray but he does instill you with a great deal of confidence. I'm not sure who Di is as I have only seen Cheryl (Nurse) who was absolutely wonderful.

I am going to the Lap Banding Support Group meeting at Knox on the 12th Feb to get any tips and advice before being banded and if the people there are as friendly as you lot I'll be as happy as a pig in s..t!!!!

Thanks again

Katrina

Katrina I'm sure the support group will be wonderful, I haven't met a bander who is less that wonderful yet!

If you have any questions that they can't answer, shoot them to us, and we'll do our best to help you if we can :)

Just a quick question to those of you already banded... post banding whilst in hospital did you have to have any sort of xray taken. Just reading the American site and they do... to make sure port is in correct position.

----------------------------------------------------

yet to be banded

1st consult with Dr Nottle: Monday 12/2/07

Dietician and Physician appoinments: Wednesday 14/2/07

I want to be banded NOW!!!!! :P

Well you have to do a barium swallow several hours after your surgery - you drink the barium (nice NOT) and stand behind the xray machine so they can see if anything is getting through the band.

That would show the port as well though so it kind of kills 2 birds with one stone.

Thank you for that. Ive had a barium swollow in the past and hated it.... oh well.... will all be worth it when im eventually banded

Huge NSV for me today! I went to the Monash Pool and I realised I can actually hoist myself out of the Water, gracefully, doing that kind of half turn to sit on the edge. I no longer need the ladder. When I was heavily pregnant with Eliza I actually had trouble getting out of the pool via the ladder!

Hi Everybody. I just got home from hospital a few hours ago. I am at in Castlemaine at my sister's house. I spent two nights in hospital as I did not cope very well with the anaesthetic and was in a lot of pain.

I am happy that it is over, and I am relieved to be banded, but I think it will take me a couple of weeks to be back to my usual happy self.

I think that it was harder for me as my health was not as good as others having MS to start with.

The surgeon and the staff assisiting him were wonderful, and the nursing staff at The Avenue were so warm and kind. I would recommend anyone to get banded there.

My surgeon was so happy with my pre op Optifast efforts, and he said that my liver was in great shape and that the op went smoothly with no problems.

He said '' Your a champion Susannah".

I spent the first night in the High Dependency Unit after the OP, where they monitor you very closely.

I had a really rough time, wanting to vomit, the incisions giving me agony etc, etc.

I had to be walked to the toilet twice in the middle of the night. I was doubled over and cried all the way there and back.:confused:

I spent my second night back in my private room on the ward. It was so nice, and had airconditioning.My sister gave me a shower. It was like being a baby again.

I am home now and taking it very easy.

Hope you are all well. I was thinking of you all when I was there.

Susannah

:clap2: Hi Susanah! Glad you checked in. Have been thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. The worst is over, it gets all better from here! Congrats on making if through the first couple of days, the pain does get better. Just give your self time to heal, it might take 2 weeks or so for you to fell 100% (it took me about 11 or 12 days before I felt totally well). Just remember if the gas pains get to you to walk - I spent a couple of minutes every half hour doing small laps of my lounge room (thats all I could handle) but boy did it help. I was told that being gassy (from both ends hehe) is also normal, so don't be alarmed by that either. I'm so proud of you!! YAAAAAAY! You're a bandster now! :whoo:

Congrats on the NSV Jacqui, thats awesome!!! :clap2: I wish I was at the pool today, it was so bloody hot here in Canberra!!

Oh and Bronnie, I had to have a barium swallow too, the day after my band, before they would release me from hospital (and can you beleive they only sent me the bill for this last week - 2 months after the fact!). Its to make sure that everything was in the right spot. Every one told me it would taste uber bad, but it wasn't for me. I mean it wasn't NICE, but it wasn't totally awful!!

Susannah... Ive lost one of my pre-op buddies but im so happy for you. well done, you did it.

Rest, relax and im sure you'll feel better in no time

----------------------------------------------------

yet to be banded

1st consult with Dr Nottle: 12/2/07

Just a quick question to those of you already banded... post banding whilst in hospital did you have to have any sort of xray taken. Just reading the American site and they do... to make sure port is in correct position.

Dr nOttle doesnt make you do these...i questioned when i was banded as to why and the niurse said that Peter knows 100% that it will be in place.....unless things have changed in the last year