Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your breaking point?

Losing over 100 pounds and gaining it back in less than a year. I realized I just can't do this anymore. I need help keeping it off.

Both my parents died before the age of 60 - they knew none of their grandchildren and would have been terrific grandparents. One had cancer and the other heart disease. Both were overweight but not morbidly so.

Earlier this year, aged 52, I realised I was heavier than they were, had survived cancer once and am under investigation for another, my cholesterol was/is high, I have sleep apnoea and use a CPAP, have bad reflux and my joints were breaking down under my growing weight.

I looked far more likely to die young than my parents ever did - and I'd spent my life trying to eat healthy (though i was hungry all the time and my portions were too large) and exercise (mainly walking, but a lot of it). A friend decided to get the lapband and that made me take a serious look at WLS.

So far 20+ kg lighter, able to exercise more as my joints don't hurt as much and reflux doesn't make me cough constantly, as it used to. My sleep apnoea is improving and I'm looking forward to seeing some improvements in my blood work. No regrets.

Losing over 100 pounds and gaining it back in less than a year. I realized I just can't do this anymore. I need help keeping it off.

My psych told me that even after being sleeved I can still gain back everything I lose. She said its my behavior habits and eating the wrong foods that will not make me successful after the surgery. We need to change our lifestyles beginning with our minds. Nothing like putting your body through all this pain and stress thinking the sleeve works on its own and then gain the weight back. The sleeve will help you in the beginning and it will restrict the portions you eat however in time as you learn what foods can stay down ..that's when the bad behaviors kick in and your back to point zero again. My Dr said a girl ate mashed potatoes and gravy and after 7 weeks she gained 15 pounds again..that's where the idea of "quick fix" comes Along and people misjudge us. Its a challenge and hardwork and is not an easy fix..just a tool to help us. Best of luck to all of us..

My psych told me that even after being sleeved I can still gain back everything I lose. She said its my behavior habits and eating the wrong foods that will not make me successful after the surgery. We need to change our lifestyles beginning with our minds. Nothing like putting your body through all this pain and stress thinking the sleeve works on its own and then gain the weight back. The sleeve will help you in the beginning and it will restrict the portions you eat however in time as you learn what foods can stay down ..that's when the bad behaviors kick in and your back to point zero again. My Dr said a girl ate mashed potatoes and gravy and after 7 weeks she gained 15 pounds again..that's where the idea of "quick fix" comes Along and people misjudge us. Its a challenge and hardwork and is not an easy fix..just a tool to help us. Best of luck to all of us..

Gaining the weight back after surgery is my biggest fear, and why I'm working on changing my thoughts. I've tried changing my lifestyle but if the right mind frame isn't there, it won't last in the long run

Gaining the weight back after surgery is my biggest fear' date=' and why I'm working on changing my thoughts. I've tried changing my lifestyle but if the right mind frame isn't there, it won't last in the long run[/quote']

Exactly. I have changed a lot these past 6 months..I don't even miss the foods I stopped eating. There can be soda or cake right in front of me ..I just look at it and go away. I lost 66 pounds on my low carb diet..since ive kept this up my Dr has no doubt the sleeve will fail me. When I feel bored or depressed I do different things..the other day I was so angry got to gym and before I knew it I ran 5K. Lol. food cant be a comfort food, we cant eat cause of the time, or cause we can smell the food ..I listen to my stomach when it growls..I eat. I have a tendency to forget and then I get headaches..I have to work on that. We will do just fine if we can just find out what makes us want to Binge..what moods we are in at the time..and so on. I started making bows for my daughter..its a Texas thing..everyone does it lol...good luck. And by no means do I want to be a know it all. I just have learned a lot and like to share..it makes me want to continue more..

My breaking point came when I realized that I had been every size and could not maintain it. I have lost and gained the same 50-60 pounds forever, including high school. I come from a family of big people but I decided that for my bucket list, I'm 68, I wanted to lose 100 pounds and make my later years more fun and I would be able to do some things Icouldn't. I also can't sustain this weight as my knees , etc age. Plus, I want to fit in a dress by Herve Legare or a St. John knit . And just for fun, all the old men who passed me over for "Barbie Dolls" will be jealous. LOL

Exactly. I have changed a lot these past 6 months..I don't even miss the foods I stopped eating. There can be soda or cake right in front of me ..I just look at it and go away. I lost 66 pounds on my low carb diet..since ive kept this up my Dr has no doubt the sleeve will fail me. When I feel bored or depressed I do different things..the other day I was so angry got to gym and before I knew it I ran 5K. Lol. food cant be a comfort food' date=' we cant eat cause of the time, or cause we can smell the food ..I listen to my stomach when it growls..I eat. I have a tendency to forget and then I get headaches..I have to work on that. We will do just fine if we can just find out what makes us want to Binge..what moods we are in at the time..and so on. I started making bows for my daughter..its a Texas thing..everyone does it lol...good luck. And by no means do I want to be a know it all. I just have learned a lot and like to share..it makes me want to continue more..[/quote']

I would love to be in a place where I'm mad/bored/upset and I blow off stream by going to the gym and working out. I think that would be my ultimate nsv for me. <3

I would love to be in a place where I'm mad/bored/upset and I blow off stream by going to the gym and working out. I think that would be my ultimate nsv for me. <3

It feels great!!!! I def made it my new therapy through the tough times...I go to bed exhausted not allowing my mind to over think :)

I knew I had to do something drastic when I realized my abdominal hernia was torn for the 4th time due to my huge weight fluctuations. (Lost and regained 50-90 lbs. several occasions) I still have to have surgery. But since I know my hernia surgeon so well, he told me to lose all the weight and he would give me a free TT! So, now Im sleeved, Im working toward my hernia repair (hopefully my FINAL one!)

Constantly feeling self conscious...constantly. I have a very handsome husband who females flock to like flies and I want to match him in attractiveness like I used to. Felt like people were wondering " why is he with that fat girl?" Tired of ugly concealing clothes when I know I have a good fashion sense and could dress better. The weight made me more of a negative person, and I hate that, want to feel good about myself so I can project that outwardly.

This...what I call the picture that changed it all. It was a picture that was taken while I wasn't paying attention. I realized how sad I looked and how unhealthy I am. Somethings gotta change because I dieted most of 2013 and lost 15 lbs. Gained most back with only a 4 lb loss for the year.

post-200391-0-45385300-1388731132_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH]39587[/ATTACH]

There was soo much that finally made me make the decision. I have felt fat and been overweight most of my life. I remember having thoughts of being abnormally big in the 5th grade. By the time I was an adult, I was truly in the morbidly obese category.

I first thought about wls surgery when I was 22. I was about 270 pds then and though I did not have any comorbities I was horrified and scared of being that big. Sadly, I did not have the means to pursue and I dropped it.

Fast forward 9 years to this summer. Within this time I lost both my parents, ages 69 and 63. Both had out of control weight issues which lead to high blood pressure (father) and diabetes (mother) which led both to kidney failure and then, eventually, they both had strokes (within 5 years of each other). I finally realized this summer, when I hit my biggest at 306 pds, that I was terrified. I was terrified that I was far larger than my mother had ever been and yet she had died so young. I was terrified that I'd be apart of the same nightmare cycle of bad health as my parents and have an even earlier end.

Next to that fear was the realization that my life was getting more and more boxed in. My existence was so clogged up with fat! I couldn't get past my obsession and unhappiness with being fat and it was literally taking over my life on every level. I needed help! I remember sitting and praying from my heart for some health because I felt so out of control and that the fat had become stronger then me.

Soon after, a friend told me about his experience and that's when I began pursuing wls. I was sleeved on 12/17/13. It's early yet. There's lots to learn. But I have no regrets. I feel like my prayer of help was answered. I can't wait to see what this journey brings. :)

When I fell through the deck at my daughter's pre-k graduation...

When a close friend of many years daughter ask was I apart of her mother's bridal party and I reluctantly said no. I felt left out because of my weight. Well I went to the Wedding and my hubby and I took pictures. The pictures where an eye opener! I couldn't believe how big I was! Even though I had already went to a seminar the month before. I was short of breath just going to the mail box. My youngest use to cry to go to the park with my Skinny Neighbor. Imagine how I felt my 4 year old crying to be with another parent. Well not any more. post-142001-0-72364900-1388925300_thumb.jpg post-142001-0-12966500-1388925554_thumb.jpg First is my friends Wedding 7/2012 and next 9/13

Edited by Ballermom

At my brother's wedding. I hated the pictures of me and realized that if I didn't do something major that I would never make it to see my nieces and nephews weddings or their kids born!

When I couldn't mow my own lawn as a first time homebuyer due to the herniated disc that isn't getting better because of my weight.

When the obgyn told me I was too fat for a hysterectomy.

When the evil lady on the plane asked to be moved to a different seat because she was uncomfortable sitting next to me.

When it got to painful to walk my dogs around the block

When sex stopped being fun

All this in a 3 month period broke the camel's back. I looked into the insurance aspect of it and found that I am covered 100%! I jumped on the chance!