Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your breaking point?

I was tired of being unhealthy. I never wanted to diet again. I wanted to

lose weight by eating correctly and no other way. It's been a slow process, but I've never been happier with myself/health as I am right now.

Fat pictures but the main thing is 5 grandchildren. I want better health. I'm 51 years old cant run and play no more. And I hate it when little kids 3 or 4 years old get in trouble because they say " She's fat or Why's she so fat". They are just saying what they see.

....when the scale said im 19lbs from being 400lbs something had to give! I had the surgery in may and now i weigth 285lbs today.....and feeling good!

That's excellent! Keep up the good work!

I have been overweight my whole life but at 250lbs it really started to sink in. There is constant pain in my body whether im standing or sitting. I can only go up about 5 steps before im winded. I can only tolerate 30mins at the park with my children (5 and 2). I want to be able to run around with them. Every 2 hours like clockwork i have to go to the bathroom... as an above poster said' date=' i am tired of being tired![/quote']

So am I. Tired of being tired and unable to do anything for any length of time.

2 years ago, I was at work and got the call that my M-I-L dropped dead. This was a healthy woman who just dropped dead. When my husband's family asked why, the Dr literally dismissed them and said well she was overweight (50 lbs), that's what we're writing down, but if you really want to know, you can pay for an autopsy.

I looked at her husband of 44 years and her grown sons and thought...there is no way I will do this to my kids. If I drop dead, they won't be able to cop to weight...they'll HAVE to figure out why I died.

My breaking point was when I found myself unable to climb the 18 steps up to my apartment without being so winded. And every night when I lay down in my bed my palpitations were very uncomfortable and were increasing as my weight was piling on. Also, when I go out some where I have to wear something black especially my tops. They have to be big enough to be baggy so as to hide my pregnant-looking belly. I had been having a harder time finding those shirts in my closet and would go out and buy more.

I want this excess weight off of me forever… I am so tired of being tired and ready to live my life the way it was meant to be lived... No more physical restrictions of climbing stairs, putting my socks and shoes on w/o hurting and having my belly obstruct me from doing so… and being able to reach my butt when I go to the bathroom first thing in the morning w/o back pain!!!

(TMI) I know and don’t care at this moment… I am so mad at myself for letting my emotions and food dictate my life…I am writing this out of sheer desperation to be understood…Who else feels this way?

On the calmer-side of me my surgery isn’t till September 25th, my hubby and I are eating prepared foods that are 500 mg of sodium (give or take) for dinner at night. I eat small portions throughout the day and will be doing my Protein Shakes starting next week Monday the 2nd, one week extra than required to give my body more time for adjustment. I know after the surgery I will be on liquids for about 3 days, then moving on to pureed providing I can tolerate it. If not then I will go back to liquids.

I am 42 years old and have been overweight-obese for a combined 24 years and if I wind up having saggy and baggy skin when I reach my goal, so be it. I don’t care as long as I can live healthier and longer without any physical limitations it will all be worth it in the end.

At what point did you finally get fed up enough to make a change in your life and do WLS? My breaking point was when I had an opportunity to go rappelling down a tower used to train the Army how to fast rope out of helicopters. I am scared to death of heights. But with the encouragement of some great instructors at the Air Assault school I rappelled down the rope that was several stories off the ground. Talk about having a 'I feel like a bad ass' moment. I didn't realize that anyone was taking pictures of this event. So months later I showed up to a work function that I was being recognized at. My parents even came for the luncheon. When I walked in there were a bunch of pictures blown up' date=' poster size, of different individuals who were being recognized doing various activities at work. Well one of them was a picture of my fat ass coming down the rope at the rappelling tower. Talk about embarrassed. Th lady who put the event together came running up to me excited about the picture because she 'wanted to capture the moment that I was really empowered.' (She doesn't have a mean bone in her body so I know her intentions were good). I just wanted to crawl in a hole and die. I couldn't even keep my parents away from the picture cause you had to walk by it to get to the event. It was in the moment that I decided I never wanted to have my moments of success overshadowed by my weight.

So what was your moment?[/quote']

After 30yrs of diet pills &losing the battle.

For years my mom has been begging me to get the bypass done. I would just tell her "whatever". Last year I caved and told her I would look into it, but with the constant pressure and asking me everyday "are you going to do it, did you find a doctor, yadda, yadda, yadda" I told her to forget it and that I would try on my own.

I tried, I really did. I tried eating well and going to the gym. Both at the same time seemed hard, so I decided let me eat well first and THEN go to the gym when I lose some weight. I would have 1 bad day or 2 of eating and then I'd give up and say "maybe I should do to the gym first and when I lose some weight, I'll start eating healthier", but then I would go to the gym 1-2 days and spend 4-5 days in pain, barely able to walk.

New Years Eve I mad emy resolution: this year, I will put myself first and really be honest with myself and do the best for me. I researched wls and it seemed SO extreme: rework your intestines and take pills the rest of your life PLUS feel sick if I eat any sugar, Put a plastic band in my body that I have to go to the hospital to get refilled or emptied the rest of my life (this just SOUNDS sick to me), or hack off half your stomach and not have as many side effects as the other two choices.

I did a LOT of reseach, watched a LOT of youtube videos and in March decided the sleeve was for me.

Now my final weigh-in that my insurance requires will happen tomorrow. I feel so empowered already because I'm DOING something about my weightloss. I finally feel in control.

When I had to use an seatbelt extender on an airplane. It was horrible and I was so embarrassed! Of course it was a packed plane and I almost cried

When I had to use an seatbelt extender on an airplane. It was horrible and I was so embarrassed! Of course it was a packed plane and I almost cried

I was on a plane earlier this month and had to use a seatbelt extender for the first time. Thankful the flight attendant was super discreet and had it in her pocket already. I get sleeved in the next couple weeks. It just reaffirmed my decision. We are on the right path!

I was on a plane earlier this month and had to use a seatbelt extender for the first time. Thankful the flight attendant was super discreet and had it in her pocket already. I get sleeved in the next couple weeks. It just reaffirmed my decision. We are on the right path!

You were lucky that they were prepared! I had to walk up to the front of the plane and ask for one and I just felt everyone's eyes on me. I'm sure in my mind it was much worse but I knew I didn't want to go through that again! We are on the right path! Good luck on your sleeve! :)

Being overweight my whole life always dieting I can't point out a specific breaking point. I'd lose and gain it back and it would be double gain. I'll never forget when I was in 5th grade they gave us some shirts they wanted us to wear the last day of school and mine did not fit I wanted to cry (I probably did at home) my mother always made me feel beautiful (she is thin abs doesn't understand me) she went early in the morning and talked to my teacher she was very nice and got me a bigger one immediately but I remember just feeling sad and embarrassed because I couldn't wear the size the other kids did. I've always had complements on my hair my makeup because I always work on that since I know I can't dress and look as cute as thinner girls.