Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As a child, there are certain things that you should not be made aware of. The first time I was made aware that I was overweight was when I was maybe 10 years old. I was 103 lbs. My pediatrician at that time told me mother that I was 13 lbs overweight. She did not provide and instructions, plan or support on how to achieve that goal. Now at 38 years old and I weigh 280 lbs., (NOT GOOD @ ALL!) So it is safe to say, I have struggled with weight my whole life. I have tried so many different diet plans. Slimfast, Metabolife, Weightwatchers, to name a few. Yes, I had some success with all every program. The weight came back.

As a child, I was always reminded that I was “FAT”. My father, grandmother and uncle always made it a point to tell me that I was “AS BIG AS A HOUSE”. What a thing to say to a kid. Talk about a confidence killer. I guess that was their way of “encouraging me to lose the weight” But, no matter how you say it. That was just plain old MEAN!!!Over the past 20 years, I found more and more of my self-esteem dying with each pound I gained. I have struggled with the thought of weight loss surgery over the past 3 years. But kept telling myself, I can do it on my own. There’s something about hearing over and over again about how fat you are, or being in a relationship that the focus is your weight that causes you just lose all hope, belief and motivation to get up an just do better for you. It really makes you feel like you can’t achieve anything in life. I felt like I was not loved! I stopped caring about anything I was miserable!

I have to make the most important decision of my life. I am a member of Kaiser Permanente. I begin the Options Program on Aug 31st. My last class will be Nov 9th. I am hoping to have a surgery date sometime around Dec 2013, but no later than Jan 2014. I am excited, nervous and a little scared all at the sometime. I have so many questions, like….What if I fail again? What will I do if I don’t qualify for the procedure? These are all major concerns for me. I WANT THIS!!!!! I want to be a new healthier, better me. My decision to have the Vertical Gastric Sleeve is my last chance & my last hope.

I am so excited about this community. I’ve felt alone for so long. This is the support will help make this journey a whole lot easier. I look forward to making new friends that share the same challenges and experiences. I look forward to the comments, suggestions and positive energy communication. :)

You have made the right choice,,,don't let people change your mind. I too struggled with my weight for 20+ years...Well girl friend the struggle is over...Feel free to inbox me with any questions concern and support.

LaTina

Hello, make today the first day of your new life. We all have had weight problems, some hidden, some in pain sight, and some some that made us the target of ridicule. What's important is where you go from here. You have taken an important step with joining our group.

For me it was acknowledging that I AM Obese after kidding myself for years that brought me here and drove my determination to overcome my weight.

A friend mentioned that before her sleeve her body ruled when it came to eating. Now, for the first time in her life, she controls her body and decides what and when she wants to eat. She has conquered her hunger, hit her target goal, and best of all is successfully managing her weight.

As you read various columns and gather information on bariatric surgery you will discover this is not an easy path; but, something as important as your health makes the journey more than worthwhile - it is a life saving experience.

How often do you get a chance to save your own life? Welcome and don't be shy with your postings - that is how we all learn from eachother. So Welcome again and congratulations on the first day of your new life!

First off congrats on your decesion!!!! I too struggled with my weight as a child and now in my adult life. I went back and forth with this decesion I can't let fear stand in the way of a healthier me ! I want to live see my son a daughter graduate from high school! I want o welcome my grand babies into his world. So stay strong! I will be praying or you:)

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. It means a lot!

As a child' date=' there are certain things that you should not be made aware of. The first time I was made aware that I was overweight was when I was maybe 10 years old. I was 103 lbs. My pediatrician at that time told me mother that I was 13 lbs overweight. She did not provide and instructions, plan or support on how to achieve that goal. Now at 38 years old and I weigh 280 lbs., (NOT GOOD @ ALL!) So it is safe to say, I have struggled with weight my whole life. I have tried so many different diet plans. Slimfast, Metabolife, Weightwatchers, to name a few. Yes, I had some success with all every program. The weight came back.

As a child, I was always reminded that I was “FAT”. My father, grandmother and uncle always made it a point to tell me that I was “AS BIG AS A HOUSE”. What a thing to say to a kid. Talk about a confidence killer. I guess that was their way of “encouraging me to lose the weight” But, no matter how you say it. That was just plain old MEAN!!!Over the past 20 years, I found more and more of my self-esteem dying with each pound I gained. I have struggled with the thought of weight loss surgery over the past 3 years. But kept telling myself, I can do it on my own. There’s something about hearing over and over again about how fat you are, or being in a relationship that the focus is your weight that causes you just lose all hope, belief and motivation to get up an just do better for you. It really makes you feel like you can’t achieve anything in life. I felt like I was not loved! I stopped caring about anything I was miserable!

I have to make the most important decision of my life. I am a member of Kaiser Permanente. I begin the Options Program on Aug 31[sup']st[/sup]. My last class will be Nov 9th. I am hoping to have a surgery date sometime around Dec 2013, but no later than Jan 2014. I am excited, nervous and a little scared all at the sometime. I have so many questions, like….What if I fail again? What will I do if I don’t qualify for the procedure? These are all major concerns for me. I WANT THIS!!!!! I want to be a new healthier, better me. My decision to have the Vertical Gastric Sleeve is my last chance & my last hope.

I am so excited about this community. I’ve felt alone for so long. This is the support will help make this journey a whole lot easier. I look forward to making new friends that share the same challenges and experiences. I look forward to the comments, suggestions and positive energy communication. :)

Ive only lost a total of 12 lbs 6 on the 10 day luquid and 6 since surgery on 8/15

You hang in there. One thing I learned from escaping a psycho-sociopathic abuser in the middle of the night in 2005, is that you get so used to the abuse that you start abusing yourself. When someone tells you they are sick and tired of looking at your ugly face, the you start telling yourself "Hmmm, I must really have an ugly face." It took a while to convince myself that I am loveable no matter what. I have a new partner in my life now, who for seven years has never asked me to change a thing about myself. We look like a pencil and an apple standing together. I actually had to ask him if he felt like he would be losing something if I have this surgery and lose over a hundred pounds.. He is such a gift.....and totally supportive. So, I told you all that to say this-----don't abuse yourself one day longer with negative conversations inside your head. You are loveable and deserve to be healthy. People who tell you otherwise need to be put on the back burner. You have all of us for support. My surgery won't be until November, but latching onto this community has been a tremendous boost to my spirit!!!!! We are not just pre and post op sleevers. We all have a life story to tell and can draw on each other when we have no more strength from within. Welcome.

You go Gurl!! Now every negeative thing these family memeber have said should be the one thing that keeps you going towards your goal. There is a saying to keep your friends close and your enemies closer but when it is family there is just no escaping. Keep each one of the negative words as a stepping stone to reach your new goal. You deserve to look and feel your best, do not allow the abuse of words from negative people hinder you any more! As i have gotten older I have learned a valuable lesson, there are alot of cheerleaders in this world, start removing the negative people in your life and surround yourself with people who are positive and make you feel good about your self and your life goal!!

I just wanted to wish you Good Luck on your Sleeve journey and also tell you not to let others Detour you......those same people who said mean things to you when you were younger will probably try and make you feel bad about having surgery to lose weight. Most people in my life were supportive....but I had a couple who tried to get me to not do it.....but let me tell you....I am So Glad I Did!