Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain? On a scale from one to ten?

Hello Sleevers, I had a quick question, on a scale of one to ten... What's the pain like after surgery? I'm a mother who has survived three days of labor (breech) and finally a c-section (worth every second). I wanted to know if the pain is worse? Personally, I THINK I GOT THIS. lol lol lol Tell me what the worst was for you, day one, two, three or four? God bless you all and thank you in advance for your replies.

:DRosana

Day 1 sucked. And so did day 2. I'd rate it at... 4-5 out of 10.

I've never had children, and this is my first surgery.

I birthed my older son with 19 hours of labor, no drugs. But that is COMPLETELY irrelevant you know why? You should be comparing it to getting a bruise on your body or spraining a muscle. Hurts a little when you get a sprained shoulder and try to use it right? About like that. Very mild pain. Trust me, you've had period cramps that are much worse than this.

Of course this is based on just my experience, YMMV

Day 1 sucked. And so did day 2. I'd rate it at... 4-5 out of 10.

I've never had children, and this is my first surgery.

Thank you for your reply, I knew day one and two would suck, I can handle a 4-5. :wacko:

I birthed my older son with 19 hours of labor, no drugs. But that is COMPLETELY irrelevant you know why? You should be comparing it to getting a bruise on your body or spraining a muscle. Hurts a little when you get a sprained shoulder and try to use it right? About like that. Very mild pain. Trust me, you've had period cramps that are much worse than this.

Of course this is based on just my experience, YMMV

THANK YOU! I think your absolutely right!

THANK YOU! I think your absolutely right!

Honestly my advice to you is to not worry about the pain. Rather spend your time reading everything you can on people's recoveries. Several of us have blogged about it. It's a good time to get educated about nausea, chest constriction, not being able to drink fluids, worrying about Protein intake, 3-week stalks, etc. Those topics are relevant and if you are educated about them, you won't freak out if you feel bad.

Hello Sleevers, I had a quick question, on a scale of one to ten... What's the pain like after surgery? I'm a mother who has survived three days of labor (breech) and finally a c-section (worth every second). I wanted to know if the pain is worse? Personally, I THINK I GOT THIS. lol lol lol Tell me what the worst was for you, day one, two, three or four? God bless you all and thank you in advance for your replies.

:DRosana

Pain is a very subjective to each individual. What is a 4 to you could be a 8, 9 or 10 to someone else. There is no way to know what your pain will be until you go through the experience. While I have not been sleeved yet, I have had several other surgical procedures. Another factor involved could be if you are a revision patient and are having a lap band removed at the same time, this results in a longer surgery. I am not sure but it seems to me that the longer the surgery takes the pain level could be higher.

I had a 3-day Pitocin labor (his head back, and trying to come out chin first!) and then a c-section as well. That was way worse for me than the vsg. There wasn't really "pain" after vsg for me, just massively sore abdomen. It felt like I was punched all over my stomach or like I did 1000 situps consecutively. This lasted about 5 days and was just gone the next morning when I woke up! I had to do the side-roll thing to get out of bed.

I have a high tolerance to pain, so I give mine a 5. The GAS in my abdomen is what REALLY bothered me!!!

Honestly my advice to you is to not worry about the pain. Rather spend your time reading everything you can on people's recoveries. Several of us have blogged about it. It's a good time to get educated about nausea, chest constriction, not being able to drink fluids, worrying about Protein intake, 3-week stalks, etc. Those topics are relevant and if you are educated about them, you won't freak out if you feel bad.

Oh, I have. All I have left now are the "little things" like pain & "I wonder what it's like"? I'm just anticipating my op date.

Oh' date=' I have. All I have left now are the "little things" like pain & "I wonder what it's like"? I'm just anticipating my op date.[/quote']

Sounds like you are ready! Good for you :)

Pain is a very subjective to each individual. What is a 4 to you could be a 8, 9 or 10 to someone else. There is no way to know what your pain will be until you go through the experience. While I have not been sleeved yet, I have had several other surgical procedures. Another factor involved could be if you are a revision patient and are having a lap band removed at the same time, this results in a longer surgery. I am not sure but it seems to me that the longer the surgery takes the pain level could be higher.

Yup! You are right.

I had a 3-day Pitocin labor (his head back, and trying to come out chin first!) and then a c-section as well. That was way worse for me than the vsg. There wasn't really "pain" after vsg for me, just massively sore abdomen. It felt like I was punched all over my stomach or like I did 1000 situps consecutively. This lasted about 5 days and was just gone the next morning when I woke up! I had to do the side-roll thing to get out of bed.

I have a high tolerance to pain, so I give mine a 5. The GAS in my abdomen is what REALLY bothered me!!!

Thank you for your reply; I too have a very high tolerance for pain and I think if you have had a child then this is nothing, like GamerGirl said, just one big period cramp. lol lol lol. BTW chin first, ouch!

To me, the general anesthesia was more of the problem than anything. Yes, I have the sore abdomen...can't side sleep...ect... but the simple stress of the anesthesia was a killer for me. I felt really bad upon waking but it was over pretty quickly. Still worth it. Now my stress is "Will I ever eat again"??? 3 days post and hopeful...

Yeah, for me the gas pain was the worst! My pain tolerance is not the high so I would give it a 7! It hit me about a week after the surgery! Ugh! Only lasted a couple of days...I had to walk it out!!

I was in pain for over a week, bout an 8 but as a single parent I still had to run about after my son, cook clean ect. So I never really had any rest time. However 3 months later and 70lbs lighter the pain and discomfort is more than worth it x