Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone develop pleurisy post op?

Im Day 15 postop Ive been doing great until day 13. Ive developed sharp pains, almost unbearable, under my right ribs...no incisions there and no obvious triggers to it either. Told nurse and PA at 2 week postop& are giving more pain meds which knock me out but i cant bear the pain. They said call if not any better by day18. Im wondering if it could be pleurisy. Hurts when i breathe too deep and i feel short of breath. No fever and ive been active and walking every day so i dont think its pneumonia. No cough etc. any one else have similar?

Oh, and I know it's not gallbladder as I had that out years ago. I'm 46 and back in school for my 2nd degree and cant be sleepy in class from pain meds! I was off of them until this pain started :-(

So sorry you're having this pain! I'm day 15 post op too. Unfortunately I don't have any advice, but I hope you're pain-free soon. Take care, and keep us updated.

Im Day 15 postop Ive been doing great until day 13. Ive developed sharp pains, almost unbearable, under my right ribs...no incisions there and no obvious triggers to it either. Told nurse and PA at 2 week postop& are giving more pain meds which knock me out but i cant bear the pain. They said call if not any better by day18. Im wondering if it could be pleurisy. Hurts when i breathe too deep and i feel short of breath. No fever and ive been active and walking every day so i dont think its pneumonia. No cough etc. any one else have similar?

you might be experiencing intercostal neuralgia which basically is the nerves in and around your ribs and breast bone are inflammed. this is similar pain to costalchondritis which sometimes people get after moving lifting push pull something and even if they cannot recall the event..it can hurt enough to send em to the er thinking of a heart attack. real pain and real fear, but benign event. once the nerves are inflammed it can take a bit for it to go away. monitor and make sure no fever not shortness of breath. pleurisy is something but that would interupt your ability to take a deep breath. i hope you feel better. can you take NSAID? in doubt please see your doctor. get better!!!!!! :blink::)

This isn't exactly the same thing but I've have breathing problems too. I sing in church every Sunday and I've noticed that I lose my breathe very quickly now. We usually sing for about 45 min and I barely made it. By the time we were done (and yes, I had to Milli Vanilli some parts, lol) I was short of breath, a little dizzy and I had a headache. A friend of mine is a nurse who works with bariatric patients and she said that this is not uncommon....just a part of the healing process. Hope you feel better!

I didn't have any issues post-op, but have had pleurisy 2x in my life, and you are right....super, super painful. If your pain meds aren't knocking the pain out, I would definitely suggest going to see your doc

They sawed my new sleeve to my abdominal walls i'm in sad shape but i'm looking to get back into the groove things here in the next week

I know NOTHING about any of this, I am only one week post-op. But in one of the forums on this site, there people discussing severe upper chest/shoulder pain and said it was gas pain. Several of the folks commented that they thought they were having a heart attack. One woman's suggestion was a heating pad, (actually several folks suggested that), and peppermint tea. I have no idea if this helps, but may it won't hurt? best of luck!