Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you choose vsg over other wls?

Had my pre-op appt with my pcp today. First thing she asks is why I'm not doing gastric bypass, as it has better results. Not only was she not kind and helpful in my appt, but a tad confrontational and cold. I left that appointment 2nd guessing myself and wondering what medical professionals know/see that the everyday person does not? I should add my surgeon recommended the gastric bypass for me as well!! My surgeon seemed to base his opinion on the fact I have chronic GERD and he said the gastric bypass is basically a cure all for it and the sleeve "could" make it worse. I've heard lots of stories about the acid reflux with the sleeve with the majority of people controlling it with a prescription. Ugh, now my head is spinning!!

You don't mention your starting weight or any other co-morbidities besides GERD. There are a lot of factors to account for in deciding what is right for you.

When I was researching WLS I discovered that the lap-band has a lot of complications (10 - 15%!!) and wouldn't really help me lose 150 pounds. Looking at gastric bypass - I had a really hard time accepting the malabsorption issues and dumping syndrome. Both of those issues forced me to look at the gastric sleeve and determine it was a good fit for me.

I wouldn't expect a PCP to be up on the latest WLS, so they probably are reflecting what they have seen that works in their population of patients. The Surgeon though is an expert on WLS and if they recommend one surgery over another you should understand WHY they are making that recommendation.

If your Surgeon thinks that by-pass is most appropriate for you, why do you think it isn't? That is where the discussion needs to take place. You could also get a second opinion with a different surgeon!

I am already taking Omeprazole for reflux, so will probably continue it after my sleeve in November. So far, I have seen the bariatric physician twice and the nutritionist once. My surgeon's appointment is coming up September 13th. The bariatric physician thinks the sleeve is the best option for me since it will remove that area of the stomach that generates my never-ending hunger pangs even after I have just eaten. She also said I will lose more weight with the sleeve. This is at Loyola University Medical System, so I will take her word for it. She said I was the perfect candidate for a sleeve since I had 100 pounds to lose and not like 250 or so. Also, everyone I have met so far with the bariatric team has been very professional and nice like they might even be nice people after work. So here is my take on it.........from reading what others have to say on this forum, I would say that bariatric surgery is such an individual decision. If reflux means I lose that 100 pounds, then I'll take it. There are many ways to treat reflux.

I'm 5'10 and weigh 280lbs. I had the lap-band for 6 years with success 3-4 of those years. I always was getting food stuck so began the chronic vomiting and slowly but surely my weight crept up as I was eating all slider foods just to have some satisfaction of it staying down! Now I'm 10lbs heavier than I was before the band. A weight rollercoaster is an awfully draining and shameful experience. My pcp said "since you've already failed the lap band, I'd go with gastric" my mouth dropped open and I said "well, I don't feel I failed my band". She corrected herself and responded with "no, the band failed you". Nice save!! I think she feels the gastric bypass is more "severe" and since as she put it I already had one failed wls, she must think people are more successful with GB? Hmmm. I have no other real comorbidities. I do have lower back disc degenerative issues, but that's it.

Oh, that is exactly what I told her that based on my research, I wasn't keen on the malabsorption issues, the rerouting of my innards, and additional vitamin/shots needed to maintain balance. She nodded like she understood, but I guess we think differently.

I walked in asking for bypass and my surgeon said you know with your age, lack of co morbidities and difficulty with taking Vitamins (I was honest) I would recommend the sleeve, if it were my wife I would recommend the sleeve. Go home and do the online education (required) on bypass and the sleeve and let us know. I had done little listening during the sleeve part of my first weight loss seminar because I knew I was getting the bypass. I went home, did my education, read my required book, searched online and I KNEW I wanted the sleeve. I had no doubt in my mind I was making the right choice. 2 days and 13 hours until surgery time....

I feel so similar! After all my research, I just KNEW the sleeve was right for me. Am I a little scared about the acid reflux being worse? Yes I am, but not as scared as the possible side effects from gastric bypass. I may not be your average wls recipient either. I have a high tolerance for pain, my surgeon could not believe what my X-ray looked like of my band that I had been living like that for years. I just thought well, this is how its suppose to be!

I am in a similar sutuation. I want the sleeve, but my surgeon is concerned about my GERD becoming worse. I have down some research and I have found both negative and positive results with the sleev and GERD. Some folks say it eventually got better and don't news mess, others have had to revise to gastric bypass becuase the reflux got too bad. I have also discovered that I have a hiatal hernia which is causing some of my GERD. Personally, I am uncomfortable with the rerouting of the digestive track with bypass, the sleeve is muh less invasive. I feel that if they can repair the hiatal hernia with my surgery then I can work the sleeve to my advantage. With no WLS I will be on GERD mess my whole life anyway, so it's no change if I continue to news them with my sleeve.

I have my final appt with my surgeon to get the "go ahead" for surgery on Friday. I guess we can talk to about it then. I still have no doubt that I will go with the sleeve.

My PCP was very rude to me! I told her about my weightloss and how I kept failing..she snapped at me and said I prefer to have my stomach cut up rather than eating healthy ..it later ended with a fine and whatever..and then stormed out the room. The nurse apologized to me. Ive been overweight since a little girl. Dieting off and on..losing a little and then gaining a lot. When I found out my insurance covered WLS I went straight to my Pcp for a referral. Even though she was rude she still gave me the okay. I didn't want any rerouting of my organs, didn't want the dumping syndrome either. My surgeon only does the band and the sleeve. The fact that the band is a foreign object inside that can slip and can require frequent adjustments ..made me not want the band. I need Portion Control which is why I want the sleeve. Listen closely to your surgeon ..they have more knowledge about what they do..they should answer you and find the best option for you. Good luck!!

I chose the sleeve after doing a lot of research on it. I am a "light weight' im 5'6 and 250lbs and I know a few women who had the bi-pass and did great! but they were 300+lbs before. I know a woman who was about my size when she got the bi-pass and she is now on a feeding tube and her health is very poor, she almost died and she regrets having it done now. That scared me, I don't know if its because she was a "light weight" or if it was something she did wrong, all I know is I did not want that to happen to me!! I also saw women my size with better results from the sleeve, and seems like a lot of people are having revised surgeries from the band to sleeve and bi-pass to sleeve.

1. Doesn't involve putting foreign matter inside me - i am both a cancer survivor and have multiple auto-immune diseases. Titanium staples aside, i want NO foreign matter inside my already overly-inflamed body.

2. Simplest of the available ops that doesn't involve putting foreign matter inside me (ie: no malabsorption or severe dumping, no band with known and significant failure rate including complications that can be v severe)

3. Simplest long term management - no regular drs visits for band fills/unfills, no ongoing Vitamin shots etc

4. Weight loss success better than band and comparable with RNY

5. Fits with my total weight loss requirement (100 lbs)

6. Have significant co-morbidities and need "serious" action with likely success in the short to medium term (ie: was getting to the point where my life was in danger if I didn't act)

7. Am older so reversible solution not essential

8. Can be revised to DS or RNY later, if necessary

9. No difference in cost and no insurance company issues where I live, so I was completely free to make my decision on the basis of all of the above.

10. I soooo wanted to get rid of a large part of stomach and to tame my surging hunger.

Hope this helps.