Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long term prognosis

LV- JUST re-read your OP. Sorry...the hunger thing was from the bariatric surgeon's office...sorry!

In your OP I thought you were saying the article talked about hunger but I was confused. The hunger coming back came from a diff. source than the article...

Well except for ole Louise up there,

All of us are hungry :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well except for ole Louise up there' date='

All of us are hungry :P[/quote']

I get hungry. But it feels more manageable now. I'd don't know how much of that is genuine biological change and how much is new learned behaviors and controlled emotional response. I suspect a mixture of all those factors. Either way I feel "normal" now. Not a slave to food, but not a person who forgets to eat because I have no hunger.

Well except for ole Louise up there' date='

All of us are hungry :P[/quote']

Ole Louise? Ouch. ;-)

The hunger thing was in response to the comment in the OP about the hunger coming back to pre sleeve levels.

Don't want to go off topic, but is my lack of hunger really that unusual?

I feel hunger yes not as much, I think after a while at least for me, I have a hard time comparing hungry from before and now.. Because honestly I ate. I ate a lot, and it had nothing to do with hunger.

I just read this tidbit.. It's so interesting all of the conflicting info! By the way I believe you can stretch your stomach. Maybe not all the way, but enough to get you in trouble.

I think at one point this article says its ok to have sweets :P sometimes just don't stuff yourself with anything! This is my problem I always ate until it was uncomfortable... And pain means nothing to me.

http://www.obesitycoverage.com/weight-loss-surgeries/gastric-sleeve/gastric-sleeve-will-my-stomach-stretch

Ole Louise? Ouch. ;-)

The hunger thing was in response to the comment in the OP about the hunger coming back to pre sleeve levels.

Don't want to go off topic' date=' but is my lack of hunger really that unusual?[/quote']

Well I can't speak for everyone...

But, most seem to get hunger back starting around the 7th month mark..

Oh and I didn't say OLD! It was a much nicer "ole"

:D

Ole Louise? Ouch. ;-)

Don't want to go off topic, but is my lack of hunger really that unusual?

Well, I had "lack of hunger" for a good two years post-op. Now that I'm getting closer to 3 years, it has (sadly) returned. But like BTB said it is NO where near the level it was pre-surg. and it is definitely manageable. When I eat carbs/sweets/crap, the hunger rears it's ugly head. When I eat on plan, notsomuch. The 5:2 also really cuts my hunger down tremendously. Interesting ...that eating triggers more eating. While fasting...seems to promote less eating.

Oh and I have recently extended my time window for drinking. I had gotten a little lazy about drinking too soon after eating. Like my window had been narrowed down to 15-25 minutes and in the last month or so, I will set the timer on my phone and NOT drink any Water until I'm at least 45 minutes past my last meal. Sometimes I go longer but my new minimum is 45 minutes. It makes a huge difference in physical hunger to me.

I guess all I can say is I don't plan on being a statistic.... Ummm unless its one I agree with :D

I do find it interesting to read though' date=' what the bariatric community is saying about the procedure in studies and at bariatric conferences.

[/quote']

But they don't even agree either. :(.

Ok so I'm still reading but someone explain to me what this means without using the metric system or calculus.

"However' date=' 34.3% of patients who had sleeve gastrectomy as their primary procedure and 50% of those who'd had it after a failed gastric banding still had a BMI above 35 kg/m2 after 5 years."[/quote']

Don't they mean 34% VSGerz still had non-normal BMIs and revisions 50% above normal BMi?

But they don't even agree either. :(.

No they don't! You my dear a a very cute (and successful) lab mouse :)

K' date=' I'll bite.

I believe what they are saying is that almost 35% (of the group who were virgin sleevers) and 50% of the band-revised-to sleeve group were still with a higher BMI after 5 years. Basically that they never reached a goal weight that would put them out of the range of "risk" factors associated with having a higher BMI. They were still considered medically obese.[/quote']

Yep

Oh and I have recently extended my time window for drinking. I had gotten a little lazy about drinking too soon after eating. Like my window had been narrowed down to 15-25 minutes and in the last month or so' date=' I will set the timer on my phone and NOT drink any Water until I'm at least 45 minutes past my last meal. Sometimes I go longer but my new minimum is 45 minutes. It makes a huge difference in physical hunger to me.[/quote']

I'm glad you said this because I found an interesting article about gastric bypass and it says they should wait 1.5-2 hours after a meal before drinking. Then begin sipping for at least an hour. As soon as hunger returns gulp as much Water as possible to totally fill the pouch. It's will prolong hunger by a few minutes. Only after that liquid passes and hunger returns again should they eat. It's called Fluid loading and I tried it for a while. I did lose a few pounds and I did actually increase my Fluid intake. But it's a tough regiment to stick to when you're working in the heat all day.

http://www.gastricbypassfamily.com/pouchrules.html

This article makes so much sense to me and I wish I'd read it years ago. I drank litres of Fluid (low cal, caffeine free stuff) and huge meals of really healthy foods, primarily veg. And most of the time I was so hungry I could have eaten my own left arm. So I'd drink and eat more "good stuff", and on the cycle went.

I haven't even bothered putting any significant gap between eating and drinking - when i felt i could drink i would, maybe after 10 to 15 mins. Now I get why it's important.

I'm going to print this off and tape it to the bathroom wall, just above the scales. Aim to re-read it once a month.

Thanks Laura.

I don't think the results are much different than this study:

http://img2.timg.co.il/forums/1_151963966.pdf

The abstract for the article,http://www.soard.org/article/S1550-7289(13)00228-1/abstract, states: LSG was effective 5.9 years postoperatively with an excessive BMI loss of almost 60% and a considerable improvement or even remission of co-morbidities.

This study doesn't show much regain later either, EWL was 61% at 1 year and 57% at five years. I know we all want 100% EWL, but the fact is some people are not going to get there. We improve our chances by hanging here and staying accountable.

Lynda

Lynda