Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long term prognosis

I was reading another forum last night and a woman just got back from a seminar with her bariatric doctors they told the people that the sleeve is great, but also said that after about the five year mark the restriction goes away and hunger is back all the way and most need to be re-sleeved!! Thoughts?

So I've been thinking about it all day, and have done some poking about a bit and some reading..

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Obesity/40490

And I found this an interesting statement coming from a doctor at a bariatric conference...

“Doctors are constantly concerned with durability. The gastric sleeve gained instant popularity because it is quick and easy to master, and is a less difficult operation than a bypass,” said Dr. Coon. However, he stressed the need for surgeons to learn all of the facts, perform extensive prep work, and communicate effectively with each patient before deciding whether the sleeve gastrectomy is appropriate.

“With new surgeries, outcome is always hard to predict,” he said. “If five years from now it still seems to be a good operation, then it probably will continue — and then again it might fail. Regardless, people will continue to promote it or disagree with it.”

Tell you what. At five years out (and 10 and 15 and etc...mother nature willing...), I will still be rocking this emeffing sleeve. No WAY I'm cutting out most of my stomach then just being a recidivist fat chick. I mean: NO. WAY. Stats can suck it.

ETA: I never lost my hunger anyhow, so I've had to learn to cope with that being present the entire process. So meh.

EATA: OMG, that is my bariatric clinic being quoted...! They are experts in this procedure, but I normally only see them quoted in academic literature...

EATA: OMG' date=' that is my bariatric clinic being quoted...! They are experts in this procedure, but I normally only see them quoted in academic literature...[/quote']

Oh!!!

Well, after reading the study info that Laura provided I feel better. I'm a little over three years. I just ate my dinner which started with a plate of salad with cucumbers, cherry tomatoes lettuce and 3 ounces of chicken which at the time seems edible. I ate MAYBE a fourth of it and about 1 1/2 ounces of the chicken on top.

I can't imagine that just suddenly in the next year and a half ALL this restriction is going to have disappeared. I did gain over 25 lbs ( which I have almost completely lost less 2.5 pounds) but it WASN'T because of the sleeve. I would have gained it in the first year, the first months or the third, fifth or tenth year. Garbage in garbage out. If you eat junk and sliders you WILL gain weight just like you do without the sleeve

Like Swizzly, I will NOT be gaining back all my weight lost and ALL THOSE DOCTORS who told us most restriction can't be lost (yes, some naturally will) are wrong??

The tool continues to work WITH ME as I Work my sleeve.

I guess all I can say is I don't plan on being a statistic.... Ummm unless its one I agree with :D

I do find it interesting to read though, what the bariatric community is saying about the procedure in studies and at bariatric conferences.

Do we have anyone on the forum that is 5 years out that could say how they are doing? It would be great to hear from them. I hope we don't feel hunger again. At least we won't be able to eat much to fill us up! Either way I am still going to make this thing work!! :) Sorry!! I didn't realize this was the veteran's forum.....MY BAD!!!

Given all that was cut away its hard to imagine restriction being completely removed... That means our 15% stomachs have to stretch 600% (or thereabouts).

I can certainly imagine less restriction and more hunger... At 5 months out I am already getting reacquainted with hunger.

Ok so I'm still reading but someone explain to me what this means without using the metric system or calculus.

"However, 34.3% of patients who had sleeve gastrectomy as their primary procedure and 50% of those who'd had it after a failed gastric banding still had a BMI above 35 kg/m2 after 5 years."

Is re-sleeving really an option? I know you can do a RNY after the sleeve (and of course you can to the DS after the sleeve) but I was under the general impression that re-sleeving is super-tricky. The place where you have been cut, stapled, and some of us oversewn, that would be considered a weak spot in the stomach. So what do they do, take the remaining 15% of your stomach and cut another 5%? Or would it have to be more like 10% and then you are left with 5% of stomach? I just don't think this seems feasible.

Ok so I'm still reading but someone explain to me what this means without using the metric system or calculus.

"However, 34.3% of patients who had sleeve gastrectomy as their primary procedure and 50% of those who'd had it after a failed gastric banding still had a BMI above 35 kg/m2 after 5 years."

K, I'll bite.

I believe what they are saying is that almost 35% (of the group who were virgin sleevers) and 50% of the band-revised-to sleeve group were still with a higher BMI after 5 years. Basically that they never reached a goal weight that would put them out of the range of "risk" factors associated with having a higher BMI. They were still considered medically obese.

And when they say "lost 60% of excessive BMI" what does that mean? Does that mean 60% of the difference between presleeve BMI and "normal" BMI? If so I'm way past that. Or did they mean 60% of excess weight?

Do we have anyone on the forum that is 5 years out that could say how they are doing? It would be great to hear from them. I hope we don't feel hunger again. At least we won't be able to eat much to fill us up! Either way I am still going to make this thing work!! :) Sorry!! I didn't realize this was the veteran's forum.....MY BAD!!!

From what I have seen, it is really different person to person. I am no where near 5 years out, I am only 15 months out, however I know I feel more restriction than others I know who have had the sleeve. I can rarely eat more than a cupful of food at any meal. bread, Pasta and rice are only tolerated in very small amounts. I still don't go near bulky vegetables, preferring to Soup them for the nutrients than waste what little space i have eating them unblended. Raw fruit and veges still don't work for me, i throw them up. In my annual check up with my surgeon she advised that the restriction I feel now is likely to be my new normal.

I also do not feel hunger, which, believe it or not, can be problematic. A mixed blessing really.

K' date=' I'll bite.

I believe what they are saying is that almost 35% (of the group who were virgin sleevers) and 50% of the band-revised-to sleeve group were still with a higher BMI after 5 years. Basically that they never reached a goal weight that would put them out of the range of "risk" factors associated with having a higher BMI.[/quote']

Well, what I should have asked was....what the hell does "35kg/m2" mean?