Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain Level From Surgery

:help: I just got my surgery date of 1/31/07 and it is reality time...I am secretly freaking out. :omg: People are bombarding my family with horror stories and one is the level of pain involved. I have had several women tell us that it was much more painful than the gallbladder surgery they had..ok I can handle that...but they are saying that their C-Sections were nothing compared to the pain of this surgery.

Now, I have had 3 C-sections and have a really hard time believing that much is more painful than that, so can someone please give me the truth? Not only am I low threshold for pain but I have to go back to work soon after...:help: ???

I have had two c-sections myself and this can't even relate a c-section, way less pain. They should not even put it in the same class. i love my band. The worst part is just some gas after. I went back to work 5 days after just alittle sore. It is so worth the weight you will lose. I hope you make peace with it soon. Good luck. If you have any other questions let us know.

Madden

I had a C-Section with my son in 2002, I thought that was a lot easier than I expected, but it was still very painful and took a long time to recover from.

I had my Lap-Band last September. I wouldn't say it was easy, but it was definitely NOT the same or NO where near WORSE than a C-Section! Those people who are telling you that must have completely been overcome with joy (or pain meds) from having their child.

I had about 4 rough days where I was hurting, but it wasn't unbearable. I had some shoulder pain from gas, but that wasn't bad either. I was sore at the incision sites for a while, especially the port site.

I would do it again in a heart beat. Don't let the fear of the unknown get to you. Everyone deals with surgery and pain in different ways. You won't know until you go through it. What you need are supportive people around you now. They may not know how their comments are undermining your confidence. It is OK to stop them and politely tell them that you are nervous enough and would appreciate it if they would keep the negative remarks to themselves.

I was a nervous reck before my surgery. You can look back at the history of all my threads to see that! I found someone on LBT that had her surgery scheduled the same day as me, she got so freaked out she called and cancelled her surgery within a week of having it. It's not worth letting others put your fears into a negative reaction. Stay positive, stay focused, we all have our reasons for doing this so keep your mind on your reasons, not on someone else's fears.

I had my banding done almost 2 weeks ago, 1/2/07. I am still experiencing significant pain, and still require the pain meds on occassion to get me through. I am comfortable laying down or sitting, but standing and walking is still excrutiating. The pulling and burning pain is awful.

As I read through the many threads of this message, the majority of people seem to have come through the banding procedure without any major pain, and recover fairly quickly. I wonder why it's taking me so long? I'm getting worried. I know the pain is at the port site; where it is sewn to the muscle. Never thought recovery would take so long.

Anyone else still have this burning and pulling pain?

Hi, I had my banding done almost 2 weeks ago, surgery date 1/2/07, and still experiencing signficant pain around the port site. It is an intense burning and pulling pain when I am standing. I'm comfortable laying or sitting, but standing and walking is still excrutiating. I'm still relying on the pain meds to get me through.

Anyone else experience pain of this sort? I'm getting worried that it's 2 weeks post-op and I'm still feeling this pain.

My surgery was on a Thursday, Friday I was walking around a mall near my surgery facility, Monday I flew home. I was back to work on Tuesday (with strict orders from my boss that I should go home if I felt like I needed to). The first few nights after work, I took naps. I overdid it a bit on Wednesday by running a bunch of errands for the office. I was never given a pain killer, but was instead given a muscle relaxer. It did not dope me up, which was really nice. It relieved the pain in the port area, because the pain is caused by the muscle in that area spasming around the port and the sutures. I was sore for a good week or 10 days, but nothing horrible.

Joyce; I did have the burning and pulling pain a couple weeks out. It seemed to happen whenever I twisted my port area into a position it hadn't been in since surgery. One time I remember specifically is when I jumped out of the car quickly instead of slowing moving myself out. That went away after a while, but I wouldn't say I was in significant pain othr than right when it pulled. If you are worried, you should call your surgeon. Better to call them too much than to not call and find out later you should have.

I would do it again in a heart beat. Don't let the fear of the unknown get to you. Everyone deals with surgery and pain in different ways. You won't know until you go through it. What you need are supportive people around you now. They may not know how their comments are undermining your confidence. It is OK to stop them and politely tell them that you are nervous enough and would appreciate it if they would keep the negative remarks to themselves.

I was a nervous reck before my surgery. You can look back at the history of all my threads to see that! I found someone on LBT that had her surgery scheduled the same day as me, she got so freaked out she called and cancelled her surgery within a week of having it. It's not worth letting others put your fears into a negative reaction. Stay positive, stay focused, we all have our reasons for doing this so keep your mind on your reasons, not on someone else's fears.

Damn good advice, April!

I can't wait to find out how I handle it,

Bill

Thank you, Sarah for your input. I have called in a few times to speak with the nurse and they have said that it's just taking its normal course. They worry about infection, but I know I would have other symptoms if it were infected. I just have the pain in that one spot, but it's causing me to refrain from normal activities. I can't even lift my hands over my head to get a blow dryer to my hair!! Just want to get back to work and normal activities!!

Damn good advice, April!

I can't wait to find out how I handle it,

Bill

Thanks Bill! I hope you do well.

Joyce0424, I had a lot of pain at my port site, it didn't go away for over a month. It was just so tender, and it's in the right spot to rub on my pants, get pushed on by the counter when I put the dishes away, etc... I know what you're going through. It will heal. I don't even notice it anymore, not even when I put the dishes away! As long as it's not some funny color, has a strange drainage, or is hot to the touch, you are OK. You would know if it gets infected. But keep us posted on your progress. Good luck.