Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone canceled thier surgery

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone cx their surgery because their nerves got the best of them? Did you reschedule?

I actually did! I was originally going to have this surgery in May, but I let the nerves get the best of me and just decided it wasn't the right time!

That being said, I just got home the hospital today, after having the surgery today!

And honestly, I wish I would not have cancelled the previous surgery! I'm glad I put my big girl panties and finally did it! Everyone's different though. Are you thinking about canceling?

Surgery yesterday...home today! ....sorry that was probably confusing!

I didn't cancel, but the morning of my surgery - they had me come in at 6a and didn't do the surgery till after 9a. I cried most of the morning, not sure if I should do it or not. I kept thinking: Did I research enough? Should I just spend the money on a trainer and a nutritionist? What are the long term problems that I don't even know about?

A nurse that that gastric bypass came in and talked to me about her situation (she was very tiny by the way) and how she didn't regret it even though there are things you have to deal with in the future. I said OK, lets do this... they gave me some "calming" medication and I went through with it.

It's been 1 week - I've lost 11.6 lbs total, but Im not gonna lie... if I had to do it again, I might not. Its very hard to not eat for 6 weeks, give yourself shots of heparin and you'll still be on some sort of diet for the rest of your life. I still keep thinking I should've just kicked myself in the a$$ and did it the old fashioned way. That being said... I tried that for many years and it didn't work... which is why I am in the position that I am - 100 lbs over weight.

I don't mean to discourage you, but I want to give you a realistic view from someone who recently had it done and second thoughts up until the surgery. Who knows in another several weeks and 50 lbs down, I might be singing a different tune.

Good luck!

There's a few on here that did - you can probably find them using the search engine. Some decided it wasn't right for them, some not feeling certain about their surgeon and others had fear of surgery. Some came back to surgery later, and others are yet to.

Unless you have dire health issues there's no reason to rush such a big decision. You'll know when it's right for you.

I didn't cancel' date=' but the morning of my surgery - they had me come in at 6a and didn't do the surgery till after 9a. I cried most of the morning, not sure if I should do it or not. I kept thinking: Did I research enough? Should I just spend the money on a trainer and a nutritionist? What are the long term problems that I don't even know about?

A nurse that that gastric bypass came in and talked to me about her situation (she was very tiny by the way) and how she didn't regret it even though there are things you have to deal with in the future. I said OK, lets do this... they gave me some "calming" medication and I went through with it.

It's been 1 week - I've lost 11.6 lbs total, but Im not gonna lie... if I had to do it again, I might not. Its very hard to not eat for 6 weeks, give yourself shots of heparin and you'll still be on some sort of diet for the rest of your life. I still keep thinking I should've just kicked myself in the a and did it the old fashioned way. That being said... I tried that for many years and it didn't work... which is why I am in the position that I am - 100 lbs over weight.

I don't mean to discourage you, but I want to give you a realistic view from someone who recently had it done and second thoughts up until the surgery. Who knows in another several weeks and 50 lbs down, I might be singing a different tune.

Good luck![/quote']

Thanks for sharing. I keep having these 'oh crap' moments when I think about surgery. And as the date gets closer they seem to be happening more frequently. But I just keep thinking that this will be a tool for a sustainable change in my life.

I didn't cancel, but the morning of my surgery - they had me come in at 6a and didn't do the surgery till after 9a. I cried most of the morning, not sure if I should do it or not. I kept thinking: Did I research enough? Should I just spend the money on a trainer and a nutritionist? What are the long term problems that I don't even know about?

It's been 1 week - I've lost 11.6 lbs total, but Im not gonna lie... if I had to do it again, I might not. Its very hard to not eat for 6 weeks, give yourself shots of heparin and you'll still be on some sort of diet for the rest of your life. I still keep thinking I should've just kicked myself in the a$$ and did it the old fashioned way. That being said... I tried that for many years and it didn't work... which is why I am in the position that I am - 100 lbs over weight.

Good luck!

It gets better! I think most people feel that way the first few weeks. I thought I would never feel better but I am almost two months out and feel great! Hang in there :)

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone cx their surgery because their nerves got the best of them? Did you reschedule?

The morning of my surgery I must have looked like I was going to bolt! Everyone kept telling me not to go anywhere when they left the room. Even my surgeon. I guess the previous posters phrase works well... I put my big girl panties on and went through with it. It is not an easy decision but you can do it!

Right before my surgery I started freaking out. I started to right letters to my family just in case I died (stopped that abruptly because I was crying my face off) prayed myself to sleep every night and was just going crazy. When I got to the hospital it happened so quickly and it was over so quickly I couldnt believe it. My surgery was 4 days ago now and I have no real issues. I had a horrible headache but I think thats because I was starving to death. Now that I have been drinking the proper amount of Protein I have found that it has resolved and I also have been drinking some Powerade zero which seems to really help as well. I am on Protein Shakes, yogurt, popsicles, cream Soup, and pudding. I havent thrown up at all (even though some of the protein shakes have been disgusting) other than the headache my only other issues have been 1. a gas bubble in the middle of my chest that feels like it is trapped in my esophagus, 2. I think my staples are ready to come out the ones in my belly button feel like they are pulling and they all itch, 3. I am tired whenever I do anything physical and I sweat like a maniac. None of these are big deals or deal breakers to me. I dont know if it will stay this great but I am really glad I didnt back out.

I cancelled twice and am now going forward on Wednesday and feel comfortable and confident about my surgery. Although I still have moments of panic and "am I for sure about this," for the most part, I'm pretty calm about it now. In fact, as surgery gets closer, I get calmer. I think jitters and questioning are normal. I did go ahead and pay for my surgery (self pay) a week in advance so that I wouldn't back out again. Best of luck!!

I cancelled almost two years ago after convincing myself I had to try again to lose the weight on my own. Well, today I saw the surgeon again and started the process once more. If I am cleared medically, I won't back out. I can't live my life in fear of being a 1%'er. I know my odds are worse if I do nothing. You have to make the decision you're most comfortable with. Good luck.

My surgery is in 2 weeks an I have spent the better part of the last 2 days crying about how scared I am. But..... Being morbidly obese is so much more dangerous than surgery so I am trying to stay sane.

I just keep thinking I'm not ready to do the post diet, I've been able to stick to the preop diet of two Protein Shakes and a veggie/salad and grilled chicken dinner. No bread/ potatoes/ sugar caffeine or soda ( haven't had soda in months anyway). It's day 8 and I'm not hungry and my salads and chicken haven't tasted good since last Thursday. I just keep thinking I'm not ready and I want to cx. Scared and sad

The post op diet was not bad compared to the preop in my opinion. I had no desire to eat until about 3 weeks out. I was busy trying to get my fluids in. It is normal to be scared hon. Just get through one day at a time and talk to someone you trust to support you during this time. I actually found a buddy on here that was having surgery the day after me and we discussed everything from about a month out. We still talk on occasion. Hang in there!

You can do it hon!

Your pre-op diet was a lot better than mine! I only got 2 Protein shakes, Water, sf jello/Popsicles and a Soup for dinner!

I agree with the above poster, you won't want to eat after surgery, but enough to make sure you're getting in your liquids and protein!

In the end it's all about how you feel!