Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

no pre op diet????

no medical necessity letter from your pcp? (just surgeon, and nut docs)

no documented weight loss attempted? (just in the surgeon and nut records)

and get the insurance approval???

Anyone here have this experience or similar....

Please! thanks

All I was asked for was a blood test, urinalysis, upper G.I and, EKG. As for a pre-op diet, I only had to be on liquids for a few days before surgery. My insurance approved it within a week.

I was revising from band to sleeve though, so perhaps it was different for me.

my bmi was 53.. i had no letter from my pcp.. i scheduled an apt with the surgeon directly.. and had one nut appointment.. the physc eval.. upper GI.. some blood tests.. the insurance was approved in about 2 weeks after submitting the documents..

Depends on the insurance, self-pay, location, etc.

I would say, even if you don't have to do much of the paperwork, it might still help in the long run to do some sort of pre-op liquid diet, meet with a Nut, and have a Psych exam (if you can find a good bariatric psychologist). These things will help you with success in the long run.

I really didn't have a pre-op diet. Went to the nutrition and behavioral medicine classes, nutrition weighed you every time you went, was never given a written diet to follow just that it is recommended that you try to lose 10% of your weight. Only thing I had to do was the liquid diet the day before surgery.

As far as approval went, yup, just the documentation from the nutritionist, behavioral medicine, and surgeon. Had to have a physical from one of the bariatric team doctors, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I don't have no pre op diet either... Idk why... I guess every surgeon is different ...

I don t have a preop diet either. I just have to stop certain meds 10 days prior to surgery.

So it's possible!! @ SueJH, my process sounds very similar...!

it's possible!!! yes!!!

That's wonderful!! None of the hoops to jump through...my insurance process and nut visits, psych evals, 12 week diet and exercise, from the 1st seminar to the day of my surgery was 8 months!!! So everyone that went through so quickly...y'all are the lucky few!!! Good luck:)

Kim

My insurance covered it without any medical tests or nutritionist visits, diet or documented weight loss attempts. Just had the requirements from my barix clinic, which was a psych eval, blood test, and liquid diet the day before surgery. It can happen - lucky us for not having to jump through a ton of hoops =)

Medicare covered both my lapband and my sleeve revision without any of the things u mentioned. I just had to have a bmi of 40 or 35 with 1 comorbitity (mine was 40 with hypertension). Never had to jump thru insurance hoops.

Had no pre op diet with my band and only 24 hrs of Clear liquids with my sleeve. Unless ur bmi is over 40, my dr doesn't require a pre op diet (unless u have a history of an enlarged liver).

I had my first visit with my surgeon on 5/28, nut , pshyc, and internist on 6/20, then bariuwm swallow test, blood tests.. 7/26 another visit with the surgeon, no surgery day, I need to loss 10 pounds...(gallblader surgery 8/7)... anddddd my last appointment with the surgeon will be on 8/27 (and nut)....If I loss the required weight I will have my surgery date!!!!!!!!

no pre op diet????

no medical necessity letter from your pcp? (just surgeon' date=' and nut docs)

no documented weight loss attempted? (just in the surgeon and nut records)

and get the insurance approval???

Anyone here have this experience or similar....

Please! thanks[/quote']

I wont have any pre diets..I asked...but ive had a ton of classes & medical test. Hopefully I get scheduled soon..& I lost my last 3 lbs...

I wont have any pre diets..I asked...but ive had a ton of classes & medical test. Hopefully I get scheduled soon..& I lost my last 3 lbs...

Good luck!!!!!

Marfar, how did you qualify for Medicare coverage? You sure don't look 65! I'm just asking because I'm having issues with my insurance not covering wls.