Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just wanted to add that pretty much every diet I tried worked. Worked wonderfully. I lost 30 pounds on Slim-Fast ... then went off of it and gained back 40. Lost 40 with Atkins ... stopped and gained back 50. Did the caveman with lots of exercise and lost 20, but then winter came and ... well ... gained 30.

So, the diets worked for me. I lost weight. I just couldn't keep it off. That is not the diet's fault. This is why I went with the sleeve. It forces me to not abuse food the way I used to. I have lost my excess weight and not regained.

Not that I am competitive, but PdxMan, I feel I was even better at this then you. I would lose say 30 and regain 45-50. Sometimes, I could even regain faster then the initial losses - how is that for you?!?!

So, I am making light, but i also want to make the point that the SAME THING CAN HAPPEN AFTER WLS. I had the lapband at 267, lost nearly 70# and then wound up a few years later at 332. I KNOW it is possible with the sleeve to regain too so I think people need to be really really really committed for the long haul.

I spent my year of hell thinking alot about what i needed to be successful, what has been missing. Some of it was a better weight losss surgery procedure, some of it was better support and education and some of it was me changing how I looked at things and how I dealt with the challenges. I have only been maintaining since feb 2013, but I am so focused on this... I just can't go back, won't go back.

I just wanted to add that pretty much every diet I tried worked. Worked wonderfully. I lost 30 pounds on Slim-Fast ... then went off of it and gained back 40. Lost 40 with Atkins ... stopped and gained back 50. Did the caveman with lots of exercise and lost 20, but then winter came and ... well ... gained 30.

So, the diets worked for me. I lost weight. I just couldn't keep it off. That is not the diet's fault. This is why I went with the sleeve. It forces me to not abuse food the way I used to. I have lost my excess weight and not regained.

I agree ^. I always regained it faster than I lost it.

I guess, for me, it has been relatively easy to maintain. I attribute that to the fact that, for the most part, I pretty much still follow the general guidelines. I eat my lean Protein first. I chew thoroughly and put my utensil down between bites. I stop eating when I feel the restriction. I don't inhale my food like I used to, which for me, was a big issue. I was able to form these new habits by following these guidelines from day 1.

If you remember back about a year or so ago, there was a thread about why you don't need to follow the "Rules", which I argued was a dangerous topic to propose. I believe for long term success, we need to change our fundamental relationship with food. I never treated them as "Rules", but more as guidelines. Like you, Jane, I can't go back ... won't go back.

I have lost and gained 100's of pounds over my life and tried everything except hypnotism...That is just freaky!!!

I was on a 4 year waiting list and to be honest...If I had been called the first 2 years i would have not been ready..But as everything kept failing and my life was getting more difficult it made perfect sense to me to do this..I never ever lost this much weight on any other diet and never felt this good either....55 and getting healthier....wow

For me it was the only solution left....i went through a lot after the surgery due to complications....5 months in hospital to be exact..But I would do it all again if I knew I could feel so much better...I am off blood pressure meds and stomach meds now......

That is only 1 benefit..But as Jason -in-Texas said be sure you understand why you are doing this and think through all your other options...If you decide to do it.....We are here to encourage and help anyway we can....

All the best!

I had to laugh when I read your post because I DID try hypnosis. I thought it worked too but on the way home from that session, I stopped at a local pie shop & had a piece of pie...soooooo I might have well set a match to that $50 I spent on hypnosis! LOL!

I have lost and gained 100's of pounds over my life and tried everything except hypnotism...That is just freaky!!!

I was on a 4 year waiting list and to be honest...If I had been called the first 2 years i would have not been ready..But as everything kept failing and my life was getting more difficult it made perfect sense to me to do this..I never ever lost this much weight on any other diet and never felt this good either....55 and getting healthier....wow

For me it was the only solution left....i went through a lot after the surgery due to complications....5 months in hospital to be exact..But I would do it all again if I knew I could feel so much better...I am off blood pressure meds and stomach meds now......

That is only 1 benefit..But as Jason -in-Texas said be sure you understand why you are doing this and think through all your other options...If you decide to do it.....We are here to encourage and help anyway we can....

All the best!

I had to laugh when I read your post because I DID try hypnosis. I thought it worked too but on the way home from that session' date=' I stopped at a local pie shop & had a piece of pie...soooooo I might have well set a match to that 50 I spent on hypnosis! LOL! [/quote']

Which was my problem with WW. Apart from the fact that I put ON 4 lbs the first week because it was more food than I was eating, all those people ever talked about in the meetings was food! I hadn't even thought about food all day but by the end of the meeting, listening to them talk about food, food, food, I wanted nothing more than an entire damn pizza!

Somewhat counterproductive I'd say :)

Which was my problem with WW. Apart from the fact that I put ON 4 lbs the first week because it was more food than I was eating, all those people ever talked about in the meetings was food! I hadn't even thought about food all day but by the end of the meeting, listening to them talk about food, food, food, I wanted nothing more than an entire damn pizza!

Somewhat counterproductive I'd say :)

You crack me up! :D :D

I echo what everyone else has said. It took me 3 years to decide that I couldn't do it on my own and that I need to do the surgery. For 3 years my PCP kept asking me if I would consider WLS, but I really didn't want to have another surgery. I also tried every diet and exercise out there, let me tell you that I was a very muscular fat person. My doc said that there are just some people that do all the right things and just need a little more help, that's why she wanted me to do it. And she was right. I have lost 42lbs, I never could have done it without WLS. So take your time and ask yourself honestly if you can do it with diet and exercise alone. I couldn't and am so glad I finally gave in.

I am loving this forum. I woke up last night to noise and couldn't go back to sleep. While laying there I wondered if I could do this. I've been excited since day one and this is the first time I've had any doubt with my decision. As I continued to lay there I went over in my head all the reasons I was doing this. I know this surgery is the best decision for me. I drifted off to sleep and when I woke up and dragged myself out of bed with the aches and pains from all my ailments, it was the best reminder of why I'm doing this. To be healthier, to be better! Thank you all for posting your thoughts because its just added encouragement.

Josie-

i just read your post today. im wondering if you made any decisions yet? im still on the fence as well, have been for about 1 1/2 year. im just controlled by the fear of it all.

I originally had lapband which after the first 6 months stopped working for me. It is a great tool and a really good friend had it done because of my progress. She has lost 100lbs in a year so I know it works. Finally 3 yrs later my dr said let's switch to VSG and so far I am very happy with my progress.

If you really aren't sure maybe get the band, which isn't permanent. Essentially it is what makes you comfortable