Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the Worst Diet Advice You've Received?

How about the whole green coffee Beans and raspberry ketones. The miracle's in the bottles? Did any of those work out for any of you. Sunk quite a bit of money into 'em!

Did HgC because my mom was convinced it would for me. At the end of one round of it I was hospitalized because my body couldn't fight off a simple sinus infection.

When I told my (former) primary care doc that I was getting the sleeve and she was really against it... she gave me a list of cookbooks I should buy. Like' date=' if I could just have the right cookbook I could go from 300 to 155 pounds... geesh. A doctor.[/quote']

My PCP said he would never have WLS and I should not do it, I said you struggle with 6lbs. He proceeded to say how this is and old procedure and I should consider LapBand. I thought, hmmm. This is a new procedure...

At the end of the conversation he said, maybe I will get that (VSG). I said but your skinny. He said, " you never know when I might gain weight"

When I told my NUT post-op that I crave chocolate & her suggestion was to melt 1 square of chocolate on a paper plate & scrape off a little at a time until I was 'satisfied'. WTF?!? Do you REALLY think I got to 240lbs being satisfied on ONE square of chocolate?!?

Needless to say, I got a new NUT. One that isn't crazy!

A DOCTOR actually told me to stop eating until I start losing weight and then do that for a couple weeks! My Mom and Grandmother went with me. That was the first day I ever cursed in front of my Grandma. I was so pissed!

When I told my NUT post-op that I crave chocolate & her suggestion was to melt 1 square of chocolate on a paper plate & scrape off a little at a time until I was 'satisfied'. WTF?!? Do you REALLY think I got to 240lbs being satisfied on ONE square of chocolate?!?

Needless to say, I got a new NUT. One that isn't crazy!

Lemme guess...your nut was like my nut....about 10% body fat.

I mean don't former alcoholics lead the group at AA? Shouldn't people like us be NUTs for WLS patients? Those forever skinny people have no clue what it's like.

I was told to eat fruits for a week then veg for a week & then only clears. I was ravenously hungry. But my Colon was clean. Off topic a lil, I went to my doc after working up enough courage when I was15& asked for wt loss advice. She said, "Just start running. "& then " remember the fat kid from standby me you look just like him". 1) I'm a girl. 2)how's a 200+lber like me going to run without shattering a kneecap?

What's the worst advice you've ever gotten?

The worst diet was the Dukan diet. It nearly made me sick swallowing all that oil and I put on about 10kg in about 2 weeks.

Desperation will make you try anything! As for moderation! Weight Watchers said I could have 8 almonds! I mean how ridiculous . Nuts and cheese are my binge items of choice. I can't have nuts in the house. Not that I could eat them at my stage.

I mean don't former alcoholics lead the group at AA? Shouldn't people like us be NUTs for WLS patients? Those forever skinny people have no clue what it's like.

WW leaders have to be members and have worked the program to run meetings.

It seems like common sense to me... Or is common sense an oxymoron nowadays?

The worse advice i ever got... was not actually " what " but by " whom "... my super obese aunts would always shower me with diet tips & hula hoop excercises & what not... i only wanted to ask them , why not practise what you preach...

P.S: i so blame them for the fat genes and the mindf*&k ;):P...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using VST

recently i was told to stop eating so little because i will get sick. as if carrying an extra fifty pounds will not hurt me. another patient seriously was asking why i wanted to lose weight? seriously?

Totally agree, Butter!! And yes, my former NUT is a skinny Minnie who has no clue what it's like to be overweight (the last straw for me was when she made a comment on MFP about her weight, as if a 1 lb difference was a struggle. HELLO, I have 120 to lose!! I dropped her that day).

My new NUT is fit, and I have no idea if she was ever overweight, but she GETS it. So either she has walked the walk or she's just a great NUT. Either way, she's never told me to be happy on one square of melted chocolate!!