Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personal Trainer?

I work out a a YMCA. I am currently doing cardio 7 days a week. I do 65 minutes on an eliptical trainer, I usually end up with about a 900 calorie burn. I would like to incorporate a weight regiment into my workout....But where to start. The YMCA people seem to have no clue, I haven't even been able to get the fitness assessment out of them that they promised when I joined up.

How did you guys and gals find a PT that you can work with? How much is the going rate for such a service? How often does your PT actually work with you?

I also have a non sleeve friend that is looking to shape up, is it out of the ordinary to find a trainer for both of us (and maybe even our teenage boys) all in the same workout / trainer ?

You need weight training. Cardio is not enough especially when you lose weight as quickly as we do. If you are not familiar with weight machines or free weights, I would suggest a Personal Trainer. You will use the knowledge for the rest of your life. Group training is less expensive than personal training. It could cost 40 per session or cheaper in group. There are deals now because it is not the busy season yet. Look up pt training in your area online. Make sure they have the credentials. If you really want a deal, go to a local gym, get a free day pass and watch some personal trainers in action. Go approach them and talk to them. They might be independent but you have to get in the gym to talk to them. If you go to YMCA, then get a free week pass somewhere. I had personal training for a couple of months and thats all I needed to get the weight training education. Now I do it on my own. I think its a great idea for you to do it in a group!!!

I have a trainer from a small, private gym. It's not a fancy place, but they are serious athletes and push me so hard I want to cry- I love it! I work out 3x per week (well not currently because I just had my gallbladder out, but I will be back in three more weeks) and I pay $30 per session. I signed a three month contract to get me started and I am not sure if I will continue after the 90 days are up due to the cost, but I now feel more confident and I think I will be able to manage with just a basic gym membership after I am done with the PT, with maybe a session here and there if I feel stuck or need some new workout ideas. How I found my trainer was just going to all the different gyms in my town and interviewing them. I went with a small place where I felt I would receive the most attention and stayed away from the big chain gyms, but that was my preference. My trainer is going to be working with both me and my hubby for a few sessions, but we have to pay extra for my husband's sessions, so for your friend or kids to workout with you shouldn't be a problem, but it will cost more. Good luck!

Agree with the other posters - weight training/resistance training will aid you in your loss and toning those muscles that just do not get direct attention in cardio.

I choose to work out with a personal trainer. I spent two orientation sessions with my current trainer to see what his programs were like and to see if he was a good fit for my personality. I want someone who is going to encourage me but does not humiliate me or call me out in front of others. I asked him to tell me what he recommended for my workouts and how many times per week. I was comfortable with his answer of two times per week. My gut instinct is that he enjoys personal training and helping me. I do not believe it would be a good fit for me to work out with someone who is merely profit motivated.

Communication is important to me and I appreciate that I have his number if I have a question. In addition, I enjoy that he focuses on doing the training the right way. He explains every exercise in detail, every movement in detail, and then demonstrates it. He coaches me to use weights, cycle, row, etc., in a way that will maximize my results and decrease the likelihood of injury. Four sessions and we have never done the same exercises. At some point we will repeat but it is clear he is not using a canned set of exercises distributed to every trainer at the gym.

The cost varies. Typically if you use one from your gym, like the Y, it will be somewhat cheaper than having someone come to your home or going to a smaller, private gym. Some people find it much more beneficial to be there with a friend. It can certainly be more supportive and, sometimes, even cheaper. Cost for me (I do pay monthly for the gym) is $250 for 8 sessions. I think location also has an impact on the pricing (like most things).

Like lislegirlee, I plan to eventually do this on my own. During these first few months though, I will pay for that individual attention until I have a better understanding of what my body needs. At some point, I will move into once per week and then likely once per month or something like that just to stay updated.

I belong to a more traditional gym (Local chain with 4 locations) - adults, some seniors, only a few kids - less of a family experience. Admittedly, this can be somewhat intimidating for me. I was very active into my 20s. Now, at this weight, I find it difficult to be there. I do my best to overcome negative feelings and focus on my goals - weight loss, better health, better shape, reducing flab, etc. Having the trainer does make me feel a bit better that there is someone there in my corner. He also makes jokes about some of the blockheads - so humor is a good thing in a trainer.

Hope this helps. I wish you the best in your continued journey.

The hospital I'm having my surgery with offers 4 free sessions to their patients just to give you a jump on things and teach you how to work out at home or even how to use the different machines at the gym. Try calling your hospital and see if you can meet with one of their people for free or at a discount.

The hospital I'm having my surgery with offers 4 free sessions to their patients just to give you a jump on things and teach you how to work out at home or even how to use the different machines at the gym. Try calling your hospital and see if you can meet with one of their people for free or at a discount.

I am one of those Mexico sleevers...so that is not an option. thanks for the input though!

Cardio is good and like the name suggests....it benefits your heart. So some cardio will always be beneficial. I also second what many posters are saying........it's better to add in weight training as well. Especially if you're one of those interested in aiding loose skin issues, physique, that kind of thing. And it (muscle) also helps to burn calories when you're resting....so many good benefits from lifting. :) If you're not familiar with lifting, a trainer would be very beneficial.....especially early on until you get some experience with resistance training and how to perform the different lifts. Just make sure to get a trainer that is a good fit for you and knows about your bariatric surgery history. Good luck and keep us posted!

I just read on the YMCA website that they have trainers at some of the other locations that I am also able to visit with my membership. It was $40 per hour for up to 4 people in a group. I thin we may be able to spread the cost and get a solid beginning with this.

When I played football 25 years ago, we started working out for the first time. The coaches made us do a "max" lift on each exercise and then had a formula that set the weight and reps for either bulk or toning. Does anybody know of any Apps or websites that do that for you?

Don't worry about bulk vs. toning at this point. Bulk is more weight more recovery time between sets. Toning is less weight more reps. No apps until you have a CERTIFIED Personal Trainer. You have a new body and unfortunately less energy. Weight training although very important requires a lot of fuel or your muscles won't build up. Take it slow. Please do at least a couple of training classes before you hurt yourself.

I hired a personal trainer to teach me how to strength train and to keep me honest. The best damn money I have ever spent. He corrects me on my form so I get the most from my workouts and yet pushes my ass to harder and harder workouts!

I hired a personal trainer to teach me how to strength train and to keep me honest. The best damn money I have ever spent. He corrects me on my form so I get the most from my workouts and yet pushes my ass to harder and harder workouts!

Ditto. My trainer is the same way. Love it!

I started with my personal trainer at 6 weeks post op. I lucked out finding her by going through the phone book & calling different places. My personal trainer has been in the biz for about 30 years, PLUS she also has her Master's in nutrition. Because I had my surgery in Mexico, that was important to me. She is a store-front operation with a simple layout (recumbent bike, elliptical, spinning bikes, cable machine, bands & LOTS of free weights). Once a month she weighs & measures my progress. I know that she is there waiting for me, which holds me accountable, yet if something comes up, there is no recriminations for cancelling that session. I thought I would just stay with her for a few months, but it's been almost 11 months - I'm down 135# and have lost over 55". Although I do have some sagging skin, it is so much better than people I know who have not worked out consistently. I may not need plastics when I am at goal!! If that's the case - my personal trainer will be the best money I have ever spent!!