Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in shock.... Not Happy...

I went to have my EKG done today by my PCP in preparation for surgery on 9/16, and there is something showing on my EKG such that they won't yet clear me for surgery; they are sending me to a cardiologist for further testing. I've got to admit, I'm in shock and a little scared. I know it's good to know if there are issues before surgery, but I was completely blindsided. Has anyone else gone through anything like this?

I had to have a chemically induced stress test because of being over 50. To my surprise I flunked. Had to have a heart cath, there was a blockage and instead of doing a stent which would have held me up an additional six months, my cardiologist did a ballon which only delayed me one month. He wanted me to have the surgery ASAP. 29 more days. Don't be too scared. They will check it out and you will be the better for it.

Yup! In fact, when the nurse called me to make me aware, she said (and I will never forget these words), "There is something wrong with your heart and you need to get to a cardiologist right away."

She couldn't tell me who to call, what was wrong, how serious it was or anything. I called and spoke to her supervisor who told me that there was an elevated something or other (never google what they tell you -- NEVER) and made my appointment for me for the next day.

The cardiologist looked at my EKG and said there was nothing wrong, but redid the test just in case. Nothing, nada, clean.

Better safe than sorry, but it does sound scary as hell.

I had an abnormally ekg and everything was fine , no worries u will be ok gluck keep posted

I went to have my EKG done today by my PCP in preparation for surgery on 9/16, and there is something showing on my EKG such that they won't yet clear me for surgery; they are sending me to a cardiologist for further testing. I've got to admit, I'm in shock and a little scared. I know it's good to know if there are issues before surgery, but I was completely blindsided. Has anyone else gone through anything like this?

Last week, I went to a cardiologist to get a clearance for surgery. He did an EKG and found something questionable. He said it could be nothing or that I could have had a mild heart attack in the past. He immediately did an ultra-sound and that indicated it was nothing. He said that sometimes obese people can have the false positive results on their EKG, as was the case for me. He said it's very common, so this could be the same thing you're experiencing.

He gave me clearance for surgery but did schedule a nuclear stress test for next month, due to my family history and risk factors.

Don't worry - you probably have the same false positive that I had.

I too had an abnormal EKG at my PCP's office so they scheduled me for a chemical stress test. That came out fine. I think EKG's are inaccurate anyway. My best friend had an EKG done at her doc's office one day & all was perfect & the next day she suffered a massive heart attack. :-( I'm so grateful they did a chemical stress test on me because that is much more reliable! I think it's great that they are making sure you're in good enough health to have this surgery. Don't be scared, just be positive & all will work out fine.

Thank you guys so much! I really, really appreciate it. It's just good to know that others have gone through the same thing. I have to wait for my referral but I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again!!!!

I had a "blip" on my EKG as well. They sent me to a cardiologist after I thought I had all my pre op stuff done too. I went to the cardiologist, where they did another EKG that came out fine, echocardiogram that came out fine, and a stress test that came out fine. I'm only 37, so I was probably the healthiest person they saw all day! I was cleared about 5 days later.

I went to have my EKG done today by my PCP in preparation for surgery on 9/16' date=' and there is something showing on my EKG such that they won't yet clear me for surgery; they are sending me to a cardiologist for further testing. I've got to admit, I'm in shock and a little scared. I know it's good to know if there are issues before surgery, but I was completely blindsided. Has anyone else gone through anything like this?[/quote']

My husband actually went in the morning of his surgery and was sent home by the anesthesiologist for irregular EKG. Turns out he has spells of atrial fibrillation. He had already taken 2 weeks off of work ect. After treatment with a cardiologist he finally had the surgery done, and safely.

I was told by my former PCP that my EKG looked like I already had a heart attack. I was so scared and anxious! Saw a great cardiologist and did a treadmill stress and echo and all was fine. Phew!! Good luck. I know it's scary, but chances are you will be fine.

I went to have my EKG done today by my PCP in preparation for surgery on 9/16' date=' and there is something showing on my EKG such that they won't yet clear me for surgery; they are sending me to a cardiologist for further testing. I've got to admit, I'm in shock and a little scared. I know it's good to know if there are issues before surgery, but I was completely blindsided. Has anyone else gone through anything like this?[/quote']

Mine wasn't with an EKG, but with a chest xray (which I have had tons of!) My doctor told me I had a cyst and needed to see a thoracic surgeon. Needless to say, I had to have lung surgery to remove my softball size cyst before my sleeve. That surgery was on June 12th.

I had my sleeve one week ago today!! (August 13th) So hold your head up high!! Everything will work out in the end. Trust me, I had many tears over finding that out a week and a half before my original surgery date (June 11th). I feel the pain. But everything happens for a reason and you looking into this surgery could be the reason they are finding what they are to prevent anything worse happening. I wish you nothing but the best!!

Yep. My EKG came back with an abnormality. The nurse called and couldn't tell me anything except that I had to go see a cardiologist. They gave the the name of some that they recommend. The cardiologist did another EKG and it came back with the same abnormality. He said it was about an 80% chance that it was normal for me but needed to rule out that I had a heart attack and didn't know it previously. That scared the living s**t out of me.

It also meant that my surgery couldn't go on the date as planned. I had to come back yet again for a real stress test. I had to wait for insurance approval then get the stress test and be cleared before we could set the new surgery date. Everything turned out just fine but was so geared up for surgery only to have it cancelled at the last minute was so deflating but at the same time it caused a week of very high anxiety for me.

I ended up having surgery 2 weeks later but at least I knew all was well and now looking back I'm sure I was over reacting.

After seeing all these posts, it seems like it's more common than I realized.

Good luck!

I also had an abnormal EKG and my surgeon told me to still come in for my surgery. It's a very scary phone call to get I feel ur fears. All will be well.

Thanks so much everyone-- It always helps to know that others have been through the same thing. I finally received my referral to a cardiologist today. I'll be scheduling my appt. tomorrow and am very hopeful all tests will return with no issues.