Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No weight loss with sleeve?!

It just seems that we put our body in starvation mode and the weight will hold tight. I have never been an exerciser, i realize I will have to make new habits. But around 800 calories a day, I think I may be too weak to exercise?

Eating really low calories for a long time can slow your metabolism a bit, but not enough that you would stop losing weight. If you could just stop losing weight and maintain by eating super low calories, then no human or animal would have ever starved to death, and sadly, we know that isn't true. Not that I am suggesting anyone following the typical sleeve diet is going to starve to death!

People's energy levels are different, but once you get out of the first few weeks of recuperation, most people's energy levels go up, not down. I'm lucky to hit 700 calories a day (usually around 650) and I feel like I'm jumping out of my skin if I don't do my 45 minutes of cardio daily. My body has plenty of energy reserves to draw on -- I suspect most of us do or we wouldn't need the surgery ^_^

But see ALL the "well can I cheat here, or there, or yonder?" threads...

You will lose weight if you follow your program. Period. BUT using Laura's phrase, you've gotta "get your head in the game", follow your program, and realize that you will need to approach food and activity differently. If you do you WILL lose the weight and be able to keep it off...

But see ALL the "well can I cheat here' date=' or there, or yonder?" threads...

You will lose weight if you follow your program. Period. BUT using Laura's phrase, you've gotta "get your head in the game", follow your program, and realize that you will need to approach food and activity differently. If you do you WILL lose the weight and be able to keep it off...[/quote']

Hey I am at a stand still after 3 weeks I need help I start working out tomorrow

You aren't alone! It is because most of us have tried EVERYTHING and it didn't work' date=' so we think we are the one exception to the rule and that we will always be overweight and doomed for life. I was CONVINCED it didn't work. About week 3 I had a stall and I was like "see....it didn't work and I'm gonna be fat forever!" then the next week I lost 9 pounds. I have lost 29 pounds in 6 weeks thank you Jesus! You will lose, but don't expect it to be all at once or like 50 pounds in a month which is what I was led to believe from my time spent on VST! You will do great![/quote']

That's a really great point and will take it to heart...feeling much less anxious now! :)

As long as u stick to the plan, the weight will come off. But it is a lifestyle change. The surgery isnt a magic fix but a tool to help us regain our health. A lot of us r true foodies at heart which the surgery doesnt help to correct. Pls b sure to seek help from therapists etc if u dnt adjust well. Good luck on ur journey!

Is their anyone that has not lost weight with the sleeve? I'm just so scared that I will have this surgery and I will be a failure or I won't loose weight... I'm hearing how much weight everyone is loosing in 3-6 months ... Could that really be me in a few months?? Ugh I don't know how to feel :-(

I had veg on May 19...never lost feeling hungry & still feel no restriction when I eat...haven't lost a pound! I hadda have old gastric band out in January & hadda lotta adhesi2ns & hadda wait till May...doc said hadda hard tike again due to adhesions but got sleeve. I don't know if my adhesi2ns have impacted on my lack of progress or not..might feel ashamed, embarrassed & a failure cuz all 1 read are successes!! Just educate yourself & you will make the decision that's right for you...please don't allow my lack 2f progress to influence you, just food for thought...best wishes to you & success!

I had veg on May 19...never lost feeling hungry & still feel no restriction when I eat...haven't lost a pound! I hadda have old gastric band out in January & hadda lotta adhesi2ns & hadda wait till May...doc said hadda hard tike again due to adhesions but got sleeve. I don't know if my adhesi2ns have impacted on my lack of progress or not..might feel ashamed' date=' embarrassed & a failure cuz all 1 read are successes!! Just educate yourself & you will make the decision that's right for you...please don't allow my lack 2f progress to influence you, just food for thought...best wishes to you & success![/quote']

Have you tried the pouch test? I would be curious to know what your capacity is. Perhaps your doctor was unable to properly form a sleeve due the damage from your band.

Have you tried the pouch test? I would be curious to know what your capacity is. Perhaps your doctor was unable to properly form a sleeve due the damage from your band.

What's a pouch test? Can you do it yourself?

What's a pouch test? Can you do it yourself?

You can do a search for the specifics but the pouch test is a way to check the capacity of your sleeve. Yes, you can do it yourself.

You can do a search for the specifics but the pouch test is a way to check the capacity of your sleeve. Yes' date=' you can do it yourself.[/quote']

I am very interested in this and will definitely try it out. Thanks :)

The "pouch capacity test" from another VST thread:

The Cottage cheese Test

• Purchase a container of small curd low-fat cottage cheese.< br />
  • Begin the test with a full container of cottage cheese, and perform the test in the morning before eating anything else. This will be your Breakfast on that day.
  • Eat fairly quickly until you feel satiated, but not overly full (less than five minutes). Note that the small soft curds do not require much chewing. You are eating rapidly so you will fill the pouch before there is time for any food to flow out of it. After eating your "fill" of cottage cheese, you will be left with a partially eaten container that has an empty space where cottage cheese used to be.
  • Measure the volume of cottage cheese you have eaten by filling a two cup (16 fl.oz.) measuring cup with Water. Pour Water into the container of cottage cheese until the water level rises to the original top level of the cottage cheese.
  • The amount of water poured into the container is the functional size of your pouch.

I was sleeved six weeks ago. I have lost 31 lbs and STILL have the fear of failure! Its the same old game...I will get on the scale and see I've gained. I never do...but I can't get all of my failures before to leave my head. It like its too good to be true...like a diet u lose 5 lbs in a day on and then gain 20. It is all in my head...and hard to overcome. I Celebrate my success and am excited about it...there is just always that self doubt lurking around.

The "pouch capacity test" from another VST thread:

The Cottage cheese Test

[*]Purchase a container of small curd low-fat cottage cheese.< /p>

[*]Begin the test with a full container of cottage cheese' date=' and perform the test in the morning before eating anything else. This will be your Breakfast on that day.

[*']Eat fairly quickly until you feel satiated, but not overly full (less than five minutes). Note that the small soft curds do not require much chewing. You are eating rapidly so you will fill the pouch before there is time for any food to flow out of it. After eating your "fill" of cottage cheese, you will be left with a partially eaten container that has an empty space where cottage cheese used to be.

[*]Measure the volume of cottage cheese you have eaten by filling a two cup (16 fl.oz.) measuring cup with Water. Pour Water into the container of cottage cheese until the water level rises to the original top level of the cottage cheese.

[*]The amount of water poured into the container is the functional size of your pouch.

Thanks for this! It is different to other pouch tests that I've read. The others are about a 5 day pouch test to get back to liquids then soft food onto solids. Like post op.

I was sleeves in Chicago by doctor Elli in January and up to date I only lost 33 pound very frustrated my sleeve was a revision from band to sleeve. Despite, I have seen successful revision why not me ? I had the revision to be healthy but it seems like it won't happen. My diabetes and blood pressure never went on remission. I went see my surgeon two month ago he assure to me that I had a good sleeve Really a good one ??? So why Am I struggling yo lose the weight then. I am stuck in 195 the scale don't move much it goes up and down and stay in the same weight for month. The funny things is that I don't eat much. When I had the sleeve I was told I will be 130lb not even close to that. It just unfortunate how I lost a part of my body to gain nothing. I had to have Iron infusion last week and my Protein was low although I drink about 60 g of protein a day. I just don't know what to do it some what very embarrassing hearing your friend saying you have not loss much. Well that my dilemma hopefully someone with the same situation that over come it will help me out. Sometime I wonder I my sleeve was done right but who am I to know since I am not a doctor please I need good advise.

I was sleeved six weeks ago. I have lost 31 lbs and STILL have the fear of failure! Its the same old game...I will get on the scale and see I've gained. I never do...but I can't get all of my failures before to leave my head. It like its too good to be true...like a diet u lose 5 lbs in a day on and then gain 20. It is all in my head...and hard to overcome. I Celebrate my success and am excited about it...there is just always that self doubt lurking around.

It's always the head battle. The sleeve WILL work, and we will struggle with head hunger, with fear of failure, with not seeing the weight loss and considering us always to be fat.

Keep fighting, and do NOT be afraid of developing a counseling relationship through this.