Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Going to Italian Restaurant During Puree Stage

Someone Please Help. Im going to an Italian restaurant for my Grandmas 86th birthday. I dont know what to order and they do not have Soup there. They have fish..Can I have that on puree if i chew well?? I cant sit there and not eat...and I dont want to over do it and get sick. Any suggestions please.. And yes I will ask my nutrittitionist as well. Thanks!!!

Call the restaurant ahead and tell them you can only have puréed food and what do they suggest. I think they'll try to work with you.

Someone Please Help. Im going to an Italian restaurant for my Grandmas 86th birthday. I dont know what to order and they do not have Soup there. They have fish..Can I have that on puree if i chew well?? I cant sit there and not eat...and I dont want to over do it and get sick. Any suggestions please.. And yes I will ask my nutrittitionist as well. Thanks!!!

Maybe mash potato and salmon..... U can crush that up really good... Or any type of fish...

I don't have any specific suggestions about food options, but I wanted to (respectfully) challenge you a bit in your assertion that "you can't sit there and not eat"...why not? I think it would be am excellent opportunity to embrace a new way of thinking that allows the occasion to rank higher in importance than the venue. It is a special occasion celebrating your grandmother's birthday..enjoy the social aspect w/o the food...eat some of the food on your puréed plan before heading out and then just have some non-caloric drink at dinner. I promise that in a year's time, the memories you will have are of the special time with family and friends and not about what you did or did not eat at the meal.

I, personally, went out for a number of meals in the first weeks post-op and didn't have a problem not eating along with everyone else...however, people in my life knew I had WLS...if you aren't "out" with this group about your recent surgery, then I say follow my suggestion above and if asked by anyone why you aren't eating say that you're stomach doesn't feel quite right, but you didn't want to miss the festivities, smile and raise a glass to the guest of honor. :-)

Fish should be fine. I never had a puree stage on my diet. I even asked my nutritionist about it. She said they have found that most people skip it anyway and just chew REALLY well. I went straight to soft solids - fish, chicken, turkey.

I could NOT eat fish on my puree stage, that was for soft foods.

I will echo the statement above. Why can't you sit there and not eat? I'm 12 weeks post op and can try anything I want at this point. That said, I still have a lot of trouble swallowing much and am very cautious eating new things, preferring to eat them at home first. I've gone out dozens of times an just say there without eating. I have no problem with it at all.

I could NOT eat fish on my puree stage' date=' that was for soft foods.

I will echo the statement above. Why can't you sit there and not eat? I'm 12 weeks post op and can try anything I want at this point. That said, I still have a lot of trouble swallowing much and am very cautious eating new things, preferring to eat them at home first. I've gone out dozens of times an just say there without eating. I have no problem with it at all.[/quote']

What's good for you might not be good for others.....

What's good for you might not be good for others.....

While I agree with this sentiment generally, I think it is interesting that you used it in response to that specific post...since LipstickLady's comments echoed mine, I will expound a bit on why I thought the OP could benefit from being open to adjusting her M.O.

I think often times the "go along to get along" and "don't do anything that stands out" mentality is so engrained with people that they don't even realize the damage it can do...as has been said on this forum countless times, the sleeve is a tool, but equally important to long-term success is addressing the mental side of our relationship with food...and if we continue to ignore or avoid the uncomfortable feelings that we have that surround food, there is an excellent chance of staying on the merry-go-round that we have just taken surgical steps to get off of.

Why not bring your own food. You can tell the server you just had surgery, and I'm sure they'll warm your food for you. If you've been keeping your surgery a secret, then you could certainly order some tea, and say you're not feeling well... or whatever.... I've chosen not to keep my surgery a secret. People that know and love me understand the battle I've had with food my whole life. They've seen me lose and gain >100 pounds in the past. I need their support now. The people that don't understand, or don't want to... that's their issue, not mine. This was my last resort. I'm saving my own life.

Why not bring your own food. You can tell the server you just had surgery' date=' and I'm sure they'll warm your food for you. If you've been keeping your surgery a secret, then you could certainly order some tea, and say you're not feeling well... or whatever.... I've chosen not to keep my surgery a secret. People that know and love me understand the battle I've had with food my whole life. They've seen me lose and gain >100 pounds in the past. I need their support now. The people that don't understand, or don't want to... that's their issue, not mine. This was my last resort. I'm saving my own life.[/quote']

Thanks for all the responses! As far as going and NOT eating..I have managed to keep my surgery to myself with the exception of my hubby mom and dad...sorry I should have specified that because I have no problem NOT eating at a social gathering...did it today with parents...I was just looking for any food suggestions that I could try..again I will ask my nut..I printed out the menu and we will go over it...this is also a learning experience and I don't want to be alienated because of surgery..I want to live a normal life not sit at a restaurant sipping water...a little awkward don't ya think

Thanks for all the responses! As far as going and NOT eating..I have managed to keep my surgery to myself with the exception of my hubby mom and dad...sorry I should have specified that because I have no problem NOT eating at a social gathering...did it today with parents...I was just looking for any food suggestions that I could try..again I will ask my nut..I printed out the menu and we will go over it...this is also a learning experience and I don't want to be alienated because of surgery..I want to live a normal life not sit at a restaurant sipping Water...a little awkward don't ya think

I understand wanting to live a "normal" life and not wanting to sit watching others eat, but there is something to be said about doing right by your stomach and surgery. Don't eat to look normal if can cause a potential harm to your stomach.

I'm glad your showing the menu to the nut.

Also you can tell the waitperson that you are on a modified diet at the moment because of a recent surgery, then ask them to put a quick blend (puree) on your chosen food. Very easy to do.

I live a normal life for the most part 3months post op. Sometimes I eat when we go out, sometimes I don't. The first time I chose not to was because I really *wasn't hungry* and I saw no need to go through the motions for calories I didn't want.

No one cared. I thought about it on my way home. I have a group of about 12 friends I go out with monthly. We are sorority sisters and I ain't no spring chicken so we've been friends forever. Some are fat, some are average and two are very fit and thin. I can't count how many times the two thinnest ones have just gotten a drink, a coffee, maybe a cup of Soup, or simply picked at the meal they ordered. Not because they are obsessed with diet, they are naturally skinny, but because they just weren't hungry or didnt really want any of the offerings.

Why isn't is normal not to eat if you aren't hungry? Even if you are (eatbefore you go), is it worth risking your health this early in the game? Plead a turbulent tummy this time, it's easy and true.

I live a normal life for the most part 3months post op. Sometimes I eat when we go out' date=' sometimes I don't. The first time I chose not to was because I really *wasn't hungry* and I saw no need to go through the motions for calories I didn't want.

No one cared. I thought about it on my way home. I have a group of about 12 friends I go out with monthly. We are sorority sisters and I ain't no spring chicken so we've been friends forever. Some are fat, some are average and two are very fit and thin. I can't count how many times the two thinnest ones have just gotten a drink, a coffee, maybe a cup of Soup, or simply picked at the meal they ordered. Not because they are obsessed with diet, they are naturally skinny, but because they just weren't hungry or didnt really want any of the offerings.

Why isn't is normal not to eat if you aren't hungry? Even if you are (eatbefore you go), is it worth risking your health this early in the game? Plead a turbulent tummy this time, it's easy and true.[/quote']

Noone said I would risk my health lolol... just was looking for suggestions on the menu of allowed foods during my pureed stage. And it will be dinner time so I will eat...settled on a cup of soup and just asking for mainly broth...everyone is a tad over board with the just don't eat comments...to me its dinner time..its normal to eat..I'm fine with my broth from soup...ill consult my nut next time

Noone said I would risk my health lolol... just was looking for suggestions on the menu of allowed foods during my pureed stage. And it will be dinner time so I will eat...settled on a cup of Soup and just asking for mainly broth...everyone is a tad over board with the just don't eat comments...to me its dinner time..its normal to eat..I'm fine with my broth from soup...ill consult my nut next time

Sorry...but I do truely appreciate your responses...just wasn't exactly what I was asking...