Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance requires 12 week preparation program

My insurance requires a 12 week preparation program for my VGS. I am in week three and so glad it was required. The nutritionist had me sign in with myfitnesspal.com to log my food journey, and it has been helpful. By the time my surgery comes in November, I will be in the habit of eating smaller bites, chewing relentlessly, eating more Protein and eating it first, not chugging lots of beverage with my meals, etc Out of necessity, I have given up my beloved bananas and chocolate candies, and traded them in for sugar free Jello and Aldi's sugar free creamy popsicles (14 calories). I have been on one diet or the other since 1978 and keep gaining weight. Now my eye is on the prize. If I do not get rid of this 100 pound belt of fat, I will be in a wheel chair within a year. I know recovery will be challenging, but I am so ready to do something effective.

I agree! I thought 3 months would take forever but now I realize that to make such a drastic changed its needed to learn everything. We should be having surgery around the same time. Best of luck to you:)

Same here, I just had my last visit with my NUT and hopeful for a September Surgery date, I'm more anxious about keeping up all the work & prep that goes with this then the actual surgery!!

I had to do 6 months for my insurance but every moment was like torture. It went by slowly but it did go by. I used it as a lesson in patience. This whole project seems to be a lesson in patience.

My old insurance required the 6 month physician supervised diet. About 2 months into it I switched jobs and didn't know what my new insurance was going to require. Now at 5 months in I found out my new insurance doesn't require one at all but I'm thankful I've gone through it and will finish out the 6 months even though I don't have to. My doctor has been a great support along the way so it works in my favor to keep seeing her.

My insurance required a 3 month monitored weight loss diet. It went by ok. My 3 months was up last Wednesday. Sent in my paperwork to surgeon office and they sent to insurance company all in the same day. And BAM! I got my approval yesterday with a surgery date of sept 16. Just keep on going and keep your eye on the prize, you'll get there

I'm at 14 pounds down and still have 6 weeks till my surgery. My doctor only requires the 10 pounds and will reschedule if I gain any of it back.

I am in 3 weeks since the start of my program and have lost just short of nine pounds. One of the reasons I am going for the surgery is that I probably lost ten pounds five times in the last year.

I had a 6 month pre-program requirement. I loved it and learned so much. I was on a liquid diet 10 days before the surgery and I lost 20 pounds. Lost another 60 after the surgery, for a whomping 80!!!! loving this.

wishing you good luck