Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with PCOS diet

Hey ladies. I need some help from those of you that have been successful with weight loss with PCOS. My body stalls for at least 3 full weeks with every 7 pound loss. Weird right? I am almost two moths out (8-25) and I have lost 15 pounds post surgery. I have lost 65 total though but I would like to know a couple of full day examples that have worked for you. I realize everyone is different but I would like to experiment. Thanks in advance!

Hi Kami, I have PCOS as well. In my pre op diet I lost 29 lbs. since surgery (6/27/13) I have lost 20lbs. I was feeling a little down...even after I spoke to my surgeon because he didn't seem too thrilled with my weight loss either. He told me I was at the "low end." Anyway, I have since changed my attitude and I Celebrate EVERY success...even my non scale victories! You will be successful, even if it goes a little slower than other people. The point is...you are losing!!!! Celebrate that!! Since you know that you stall often just make sure you stay on track during those times. Also, find some fun things to do during those times in order to take your mind off of it....bowling, movies, long walks, etc. that stall will not last forever!

So...about what I eat. I eat 5 small meals a day, all focused around Protein of course! Each meal is about 10-15 grams of Protein. So, one day might be 1. Greek yogurt 2. Drumstick 3. Small Protein shake 4. Another piece of baked chicken 5. About 3/4 cup of chilli. The amounts are pretty small, even though it may seem like a lot of food. I can only take 3-5 bites of anything before I'm full. So, I only count each meal as 10-15 grams of protein. I also drink Water in between these meals.

Sol, I hope this helps a little. I just want to encourage you...slow and steady WINS THE RACE!!! We can do this! :-)

Thanks! My surgeon said to talk to him in 3 months if I haven't lost weight. Lol he said I was doing fine and I look good. I'm ok with slow as long as it comes off :) I weigh twice a week now instead of every day ( I know I should have weighed every day) but I'm in much better spirits!

My PCOS has been in remission since month 3 post-op. My PCOS doc now treats me like a regular patient, and I only have to go in for annuals. I cried at that news.

I keep track of my food, exercise, and weight daily (minus a month+ "vacation' from it..), and I definitely stay on plan better when I'm writing it all down. I'm 6 lbs from my goal, and these are the biggies that helped me get to where I am now:

• supportive and encouraging spouse that is completely on board with keeping temptations out of the house (he's lost 70+ lbs "second-hand")
  • my gym (I go at least 4 times a week, which includes working with a personal trainer and boot camp classes)
  • Couch to 5K app (also known as "C25K". This got me in touch with my goal driven side and now jogging is therapeutic, and I look forward to running events that I register for well in advance. I'm training for a mini-marathon (4 mi.) now.)
  • local support group (luckily mine meets weekly just 20 mins away, has about 10+ regulars, and is led by a social worker)
  • keeping calories between 600-800/day (this works for me... My intake is actually a little higher, because I don't count my chewable Vitamins, mints or tums. If this was "too" low, I'd feel bad, but my energy is pretty good. I don't get headaches or blurred vision anymore. I know what blood sugar issues feel like. Also, the lighter and more fit you are, the lower your BMR (basal metabolic rate, i.e. calorie need) is. I'm still working to get these last 6 lbs off, and I'll probably switch to the 5:2 plan for maintenance.)
  • various food/recipe blogs (I honestly love food more than ever. There are so many creative options, and I generally have fun with cooking dinner. Mini hamburger meatloaves, "cupcake" meals like lasagna and chicken enchiladas, philly cheese steak stuffed bell pepper, etc. I also have a raging sweet tooth, and I find "skinny" deserts.)

Diet wise, for Breakfast and lunch, I eat like a little kid. I had a cup of Protein hot chocolate for Breakfast, and I have a bento lunch box in the fridge today. It has 4 almond crackers, 1/2 serving of tuna salad (1 pack low-sodium tuna, 2 tablespoons plain yogurt - no mayo, a diced hard boiled egg, and seasoning), and 4 small strawberries. All that will put me at 203 calories. I'm contemplating half a gladiator smoothie before boot camp for the extra Protein. dinner will be 4 oz of butternut squash quinoa salad and two slices of deli honey ham rolled up. Probably followed by a serving of Arctic Zero.

I lost 10 lb. during the pre-op diet. I lost 22 post op, but have stopped. I was told to stop my birth control (I don't have periods without them) and missed my period. I have not lost a pound since the week I was supposed to be on my period. I've tracked my calories and am eating between 450-600 a day. I am back on the pills. Hopefully I will start loosing weight again soon!

I lost 10 lb. during the pre-op diet. I lost 22 post op, but have stopped. I was told to stop my birth control (I don't have periods without them) and missed my period. I have not lost a pound since the week I was supposed to be on my period. I've tracked my calories and am eating between 450-600 a day. I am back on the pills. Hopefully I will start loosing weight again soon!

You're probably experiencing a normal "stall". Search for Embracing the Stall" for info.

On 4/22/2016 at 0:58 PM, Rachel_Y said:

Hi Rachel, have you lost any weight once you started back on the pills? I was on Metformin and Spironolactone before surgery but was told to stop after. My surgery was 10/17/17 and lost 16 lbs during the first week and a half. I've been at a stall for the last 10 days and even gained 3 lbs. I'm still in the pureed stage and I don't know if I should start the metformin and spiro again.