Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So worried about what to do...Should I have band removed and stay at my current weight (which seems to be w/in 15 lbs of the weight I was pre-Band) or recognize that I am a serial dieter and lived in weight distress for 20 years, and hope to get approval to be sleeved.

It's a fascinating dilemma...well the better word is probably " distressing".

Does the risk and fear of getting sleeved outweigh the benefit and freedom of living less obsessed with my weight??

Thank you for your note...seriously. I just need to hear from those who ave been there. Guess I am just feeling discouraged, disappointed in myself and hopeful and hopeful I can change my life.

We are all serial dieters or we wouldnt be eligible for bariatric surgery...truth! We can NOT do it on our own which is why we need our tools to do this...our sleeves! When i cancelled my last fill and changed to a consult apptmnt and sat face to face with Dr Merriman I cried...I said "I failed the lap band" and he said without hesitation..."no! The lap band failed you. Obesity is a disease and we just havent found you the right tool yet to fight it with. Some people do great with a lap band, some with bypass & some with a sleeve. There is NO CURE for obesity but we are here to help you fight. You havent failed, you're still fighting or you wouldnt be here"

hi, i have been facing the same dilema as you. i want the sleeve, but I'm very very afraid to take the risk. i was banded and lost around 65-70 lbs and had a slip. i then had it revised and just maintained that weightloss but then the 2nd band slipped as well as my dr said it might. at that point i had the band removed and today i sit here with all my weight back on. i want the sleeve, i guess i just want a guarantee that I wont ruin my health by having it done, either with some sort of stricture, or leak or reflux, issues like that. thats what im worried about. im been strggling with this for over a year now. im so torn!

I have been/am in your exact shoes. My band was taken out 7 months ago and I decided to start jumping through all the hoops to have revision to the sleeve. 4 dietician appts, 2 psych appts, upper GI, endoscopy etc. After an initial ins denial I got the approval letter a week ago. Now here I sit 5lbs over my starting lap band weight and fully realize I can't go it alone, but yet so fearful of the "unknown" with the sleeve and what issues may arise from that. I found out yesterday that we've met our out of pocket max with our insurance therefore the sleeve will be covered at not a penny out of pocket and that's what finally tipped me over to be on the sleeves side. Waiting for surgery date, but all fears are still there. I think we all know in the back of our mind what the answer is. Good Luck

My revision is scheduled for Monday, four days from now. I'm still confused and torn. I'm sure I will go in and have the surgery. But I'm upset, frustrated, and even angry that its my future. I was down to 200, a 50+ pound loss with my band, and I was lucky enough to maintain it for several years. I was so happy at that weight.

Fast forward, band problems, band empty, and I'm gaining weight. I know the sleeve is the only way for me to not regain more. But gee wiz, I guess I'm having a pity party. Why do I have to make this decision? And the treads that deal with severe complications scare the day lights out of me. Five years ago when I did the band I was miserable, desperate and so unhappy. I do not want to get there again. I know going in on Monday is what I will do. But boy am I scared.

It's nice to read all your stories and know I'm not alone. Thanks.