Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saw PCP today, Not supportive to go to Mexico

I had been putting off discussing my upcoming surgery in Mexico with my PCP. I had a feeling she wouldn't be supportive and I was right. Saw her today and told her I had researched this for over a year. My insurance does not pay for WLS. No way, no how. When I mentioned going to Mexico, she immediately looked at me like I had 2 heads and said, NO, I have seen too many complications, infections and so on. I don't want you going out of the country. Then she said keep working with your insurance. Got up and left the room. Didn't even discuss other options for weight loss, what my research had lead me to, anything. Good thing I am moving to a new city and this was my last appointment with her. I need someone a little more patient oriented.

I just love it ( not) when people throw out "I have seen too many complications" but in reality, they may have seen 1 or 2 of the many many that are done there.

I am glad you are getting a new dr that will hopefully be supportive.

I had been putting off discussing my upcoming surgery in Mexico with my PCP. I had a feeling she wouldn't be supportive and I was right. Saw her today and told her I had researched this for over a year. My insurance does not pay for WLS. No way' date=' no how. When I mentioned going to Mexico, she immediately looked at me like I had 2 heads and said, NO, I have seen too many complications, infections and so on. I don't want you going out of the country. Then she said keep working with your insurance. Got up and left the room. Didn't even discuss other options for weight loss, what my research had lead me to, anything. Good thing I am moving to a new city and this was my last appointment with her. I need someone a little more patient oriented.[/quote']

I had a thread on this early out and got some good advice. Ours did come around after we took the time to educate her. Ours is a sweetheart and takes very good care of us, and came from a place of a little bit ignorance and a lot of concern.

Sorry you had to go through that. Hopefully your next one will be better, but suggest you read that thread and read the great advice people gave me, just in case you need it. If you can't find the link (search for Our PCP), lemme know and I will PM it to you once I get home.

I've not and will not tell my PCP....I figure asking forgiveness is easier than asking permission. lol this is my life and body....I don't want to live another decade without this tool....and end up sick and another 10 years wasted. What I want to know is how many here who've gone to MX have had a problem like an infection... seems to me most complications are from US surgeons. IDK what ya'll think?

My gyno was a firm supporter from the outset. My PCP, not so much, initially. She has some RNY patients that come in frequently with stomach pain. However, when I told her several weeks before I left that I was having the surgery, she wasn't so negative. She now has some sleeve patients and has seen how well they have done. She still wasn't happy about the Mexico part, though.

My PCP was on board with weight loss surgery. Once I was denied by my insurance company, I figured out the whole Mexico thing, had surgery and sent my PCP the surgical notes. When I saw her next, she asked if I was pulling her leg. NOPE!

Told her how it went down, she seemed pleased. Done deal. You are welcome to read my blog post about it http://hoosierfatty.wordpress.com/2013/05/10/first-doctor-visit-after-surgery-in-mexico/

Of course your PCP will continue to treat you after the surgery. In reality, the only thing I needed help with was some follow up blood work after surgery. If your PCP doesn't come around, maybe it's time to look for a new doctor with an open mind? Good luck!

My PCP is great about it. I won't be having the surgery until sometime next year because I have to save up enough money to do it. But I'm going to Mexico, and he was fully supportive, wants to see all the paperwork and will help me make an informed decision. He'll even talk to my husband for me, since my hubby was a little leery of MX. But since Doc says its OK, and he'll work with me on it, hubby is on board. :)

my PCP wasn't happy about me going to Mexico I told him to get over it , but I've been at pt of his for yrs, I believe I can give him some good information on tx in Mexico .

Same here. I know that my PCP will not be receptive of me going to MX, and I have chosen not to discuss this with him. I did however discuss it with my Cardiology andshe has been very positive. I too have been researching MX and Dr Rodriguez for almost a year now. I have chosen to put off my surgery until February 2014, since it will be self-pay and it never helps to keep researching. Next year, I will be changing my PCP, so there is no need for me to go through all the negativity with my current PCP now. I feel it is hard and sometimes challenging to discuss Mexico with family and co-workers, so I have decided to narrow my conversations to my best friend. She will also be accompanying me to Juarez, Mexico, and I know she will be right there to make sure things go as planned and to make sure I get the best care. I am married, and my husband is all for the surgery, but I have not told him that it will be in MX. I know that he will not be happy and he probably will be against it. Yes, I will tell him, but before I do, I need to keep researching MX. He will need to see facts and will need more info on Dr Rodriguez. I wish you the best of luck. :rolleyes:

FYI, has anyone had any luck with your Flexible Spending and paying for surgery?

After doing the research I printed out all of the info, drs credentials, everything I could find. He read over and said by all means go for it. He has seen me struggle the last 20 years.He told me to make an appt for 1 month after surgery. When he gave me his blessing I booked it right away, for 2 weeks later, giving me the time to do my preop and get plane tix. When I went back to him after that month, he said he saw me weigh in and was going to look over my shoulder. He was surprised at the weight I had lost since his visit. He checked my wounds and all was good. I was off the sugar meds...and now off my arthritus meds. I had no problems....I can't wait to go back and see him next month. My dr is a big supporter of weight loss and has walking programs for our town. He's got a great sense of humor and he's pretty cool. All is good.

I was not very happy with my PCP for reasons other than the WLS surgery. I saw her a couple of months after I decided to have surgery in Mexico and about a month before the surgery. I didn't think she would be very supportive, but I thought I would talk to her about it any way because I needed to get a prescription for blood pressure medicine without a diuretic. The appointment was a disaster. She had a young resident talk to me first. I would normally have had no objection, but I didn't want to discuss the surgery with him so he could tell her and then we could talk about it. I waited until she came into the room, but she was already disagreeable over issues with cholesterol medication I had discussed with the other doctor. I reached the conclusion very quickly that it was a waste of my time to even try to talk to her. So I went to Mexico and then found another PCP after I returned home. He was very amenable to letting my body adjust as I lose weight and then we will see later if I need other medications. I am looking forward to continuing with him. I stressed and worried about it for nothing!

my PCP wasn't happy about me going to Mexico I told him to get over it , but I've been at pt of his for yrs, I believe I can give him some good information on tx in Mexico .

I have been following your posts. How are you doing? I know you used Dr. Garcia. I am planning to use Dr. Illan.

Same here. I know that my PCP will not be receptive of me going to MX, and I have chosen not to discuss this with him. I did however discuss it with my Cardiology andshe has been very positive. I too have been researching MX and Dr Rodriguez for almost a year now. I have chosen to put off my surgery until February 2014, since it will be self-pay and it never helps to keep researching. Next year, I will be changing my PCP, so there is no need for me to go through all the negativity with my current PCP now. I feel it is hard and sometimes challenging to discuss Mexico with family and co-workers, so I have decided to narrow my conversations to my best friend. She will also be accompanying me to Juarez, Mexico, and I know she will be right there to make sure things go as planned and to make sure I get the best care. I am married, and my husband is all for the surgery, but I have not told him that it will be in MX. I know that he will not be happy and he probably will be against it. Yes, I will tell him, but before I do, I need to keep researching MX. He will need to see facts and will need more info on Dr Rodriguez. I wish you the best of luck. :rolleyes:

FYI, has anyone had any luck with your Flexible Spending and paying for surgery?

From the research I've done.... Dr. Rod is awesome!!! I'm with him in TJ next wed....Don't hesitate...this is an awesome tool. Most lose the weight in about a year. Edited to add...are you looking at going through BeLiteWeight? Bceause that is an American company...your flex spend might just do that. Call Jo-Ann there and ask.

My PCP was a little concerned when I told her I was going to Mexico and why. She was reassured when I told her all the research I had done before choosing Dr. Alvarez. She was extremely supportive. She was willing to do my EKG and any pre-op labs that were required. I brought her Dr. Alvarez's book and she copied the page with information about post-op follow up needs. I called her when I got home to tell her about my "surprise" hiatal hernia repair and that I was alive and well. I scheduled a 6 week follow up with her and will bring her a copy of my surgical report and the labs that were drawn in MX. She has seen me struggle with my weight for years. After watching me lose 150 pounds with diet and exercise and then regaining 75 of those pounds, she understood my desperation. I've got the best PCP in Central Florida, and had the best Bariatric Surgeon in Mexico.

My PCP was awesome!!! He was/is totally supportive. Went to see him about 3 weeks after surgery, just to check in, and was down 20 something pounds already. He was as excited as I was. Going back next month to do my 3 month post op check up and labs, can't wait for him to see me down 50-60 pounds!!!